What's new

Yoga

Should I take up Yoga like Mike Conley and Joe Johnson?

• Yes, Yoga is the fountain of Youth

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No, Yoga is boring

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

SoberasHotRod

When I first heard Mike Conley was doing Yoga I jokingly said that he got the idea from Joe Johnson. Turns out that is actually what happened. Then I sarcastically commented that his hamstring issues were cured. Well, it's way too early to know on that, but Mike Conley looks like a young Mike Conley.

Is Yoga the fountain of youth? I'm older than Mike Conley is currently and the age Joe Johnson was when he played here. Should I take up Yoga?

It seems so painfully boring.

(P.S. I think the Jazz should still be extremely cautious with Mike Conley and rest him more often)

“Yoga” describes a very broad range of activities. There’s some you should avoid, and some you maybe should consider, depending on your priorities.

My ex was a highly trained Yogi, so I was exposed to many sides. On the physical fitness side of things, it can be great for hip stability, which is what I’m guessing Mike is getting, as that can really help the hammies.

The fountain of youth is time-restricted eating, fwiw. I now have years worth of my own blood data to back it up.

I've been using my foam roller a lot. Just lay on it and roll around. Works wonders.

The fountain of youth is passion. Participating in sports or activities passionately. Not to the point of overkill but enjoying something enough that you engage in it on an at least semi-regular basis. I guess you could have the fountain of youth without sport, but something that involves physical exertion is probably important. Dai-Ichi, or Japanese daily movement exercise seems pretty cool.

The best type of exercise is the one you keep doing. For me. I've been doing Just Dance 6 mornings a week for a few months, with no inclination to stop. This makes it the best program I've ever tried.

This probably belongs in GD.

The fountain of youth is actually McDonald’s… it’s packed full of preservatives… what do preservatives do? They preserve things. I’m gonna live forever!

The thing about yoga is that if you arent already flexible, it's tough to get into. You have to build a foundation of being strong through ranges of motion (otherwise you're just lengthening a weak muscle which doesnt really do you much benefit) before yoga can really benefit you. Some people will just say do yoga and it will help get you there, but in my experience that isnt the case.

The thing about yoga is that if you arent already flexible, it's tough to get into. You have to build a foundation of being strong through ranges of motion (otherwise you're just lengthening a weak muscle which doesnt really do you much benefit) before yoga can really benefit you. Some people will just say do yoga and it will help get you there, but in my experience that isnt the case.
You see, this kind of comment is very common, but it reveals the bias about what yoga is. It’s traditionally about breathing and preparing the body for meditation. The West has accelerated the physical-fitness image of it.

You can get into it with limited flexibility—even the physical fitness aspects—but it requires a teacher that knows a few things.... and most are pretty unimaginative

Last edited:
When I first heard Mike Conley was doing Yoga I jokingly said that he got the idea from Joe Johnson. Turns out that is actually what happened. Then I sarcastically commented that his hamstring issues were cured. Well, it's way too early to know on that, but Mike Conley looks like a young Mike Conley.

Is Yoga the fountain of youth? I'm older than Mike Conley is currently and the age Joe Johnson was when he played here. Should I take up Yoga?

It seems so painfully boring.

(P.S. I think the Jazz should still be extremely cautious with Mike Conley and rest him more often)

There are different types of yoga. I occasionally do aerobic yoga. Its not boring its fast paced cardio

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I do couch yoga. I stretch to get the remote when I set it too far away. Sometimes I get up and go get something from the fridge. Last night it was multiple fudgicles.

Yoga is awesome, my wife got me into it. It increases core strength as well flexibilty and strength at the joints. if you are doing it 1-2 times per week it’s going to likely be around 3 months before you really start to see the overall results. On top of all that, the mental benefits (similar to meditation) are awesome. Go give it a try, what do you have to lose!!!

Mike can do Yoga but Sting has been teaching Quin the art of Tantric.

The best part about yoga is the farting. So much farting. So. Much. Farting.

You see, this kind of comment is very common, but it reveals the bias about what yoga is. It’s traditionally about breathing and preparing the body for meditation. The West has accelerated the physical-fitness image of it.

You can get into it with limited flexibility—even the physical fitness aspects—but it requires a teacher that knows a few things.... and most are pretty unimaginative
This is the main problem I have with yoga in general, the vast majority of teachers have no clue what they are doing. It's kind of the same as personal trainers. If someone actually has good knowledge of the body and has done a decent amount of studying and practice it can be good. A good teacher at its simplest can be helpful in just making you more aware of your body.

In general a lot of people think yoga is about stretching. Stretching in general isn't going to help many NBA players, it's more likely to hurt them. As far as Conley goes I have no idea what he's doing when he says he's doing yoga. It could mean a hundred things. I've probably been to 50 different yoga teachers. I would say about 3 of them were good, 10 were fine, and the rest were terrible. I'm about to go to an ancient taoism temple in Wuhan for Christmas to do some yoga thing there. It should be interesting. Sadly yoga in China has become more like yoga in the USA. Hopefully this place isn't.