What's new

You are Ty Corbin...What do you do different?

1. Vary the starting lineup based on matchups. Faster lineups vs. faster opponents, bigger against bigger teams. I'll let Ty handle the details.
2. Don't be afraid to start Fes. He's totally unpredictable, but give him a chance; if his head isn't there that night, bench him for the rest of the game and use Elson/Jefferson at C the rest of the game. When he's 'on', he is a game changer, so play the man!!
3. More Hayward at SG. He defends there better than CJ, is bigger than Price which is needed vs. taller SG's. Hayward's lateral movement is better than I expected. Price would still be my #3 PG and SG, and does deserve some PT.
4. No more CJ at SG; his defense there is awful. He is better off splitting time with AK at SF.
5. More Jeremy Evans. The kid has shown he can make plays in his own high-energy way.
6. Base players' PT more on their DEFENSE, which I don't think Sloan did.

I doubt he changes our schemes a whole lot, at least this year. But I'll bet we start watching film as a regular part of the program. I'll bet he makes defense our biggest focus in those film sessions as part of giving this team an actual defensive identity. I'll bet part of that identity is to get OUT of the top 5 in fouls.

What I don't see is him changing the rotations a whole lot. I'll bet he wants to make some changes but he wants to bring them along respectfully. So the starting unit and bench unit stays for the next few weeks, but minutes start to change.

Finally, he'll pass the very important Raja Bell test when his minutes have been cut to 20 by the end of the season (but he smartly gives Bell extra run in the few games where we really need to check an opposing 2.)

More Hayward & Evans.

I think it starts immediately.

Pacers fired O'Brien and their Rookie , Paul George is now getting around 20 minutes a nite.

He is now developing.

Also, push the ball. We need more freebie points in transition. We play a slow lazy pick up game now.

Push it hard, if it is not there, back into some plays.

Pacers are getting a good 10-14 pts a nite with easy transition hoops. They won 4 in a row (best streak all year was 2) and almost had the Heat beat.

They run. They changed immediately after O'Brien. We cannot afford to wait 10 games.

More Hayward & Evans.

I think it starts immediately.

Pacers fired O'Brien and their Rookie , Paul George is now getting around 20 minutes a nite.

He is now developing.

Also, push the ball. We need more freebie points in transition. We play a slow lazy pick up game now.

Push it hard, if it is not there, back into some plays.

Pacers are getting a good 10-14 pts a nite with easy transition hoops. They won 4 in a row (best streak all year was 2) and almost had the Heat beat.

They run. They changed immediately after O'Brien. We cannot afford to wait 10 games.

This. Evans brings so much energy to the floor. Hayward is really active, too. I'd rather see him on the floor than Kirilenko or Miles.

If I am Ty Corbin I make a deal with Deron: give D-Will freedom on offense, and D-Will helps Ty knock some of these players around, until they clue in on defense. We are defensively worse now than we were with Boozer, and that's really saying something. If the defense does not improve, nothing else matters. D-Will and Corbin have to turn this Jazz into a defensively solid team like it was in the 90s if they want to contend.

Whatever Corbin decides...I am fine with it.

This is your time Ty!!!! Run with it.

Run pick & roll/pop: D-will and al jefferson
run pick & roll/pop: D-will and millsap

game over

Run pick & roll/pop: D-will and al jefferson
run pick & roll/pop: D-will and millsap

game over

nba_g_sloanj_576.jpg

Actually, if anything, I hope Ty's offense is focused on proper floor spacing. Too many teams were able to pack the lane and give us trouble in Jerry's sytem. We have reasonably good shooters on our team, but it seems like getting an open 3-point look is far from a regular occurrence. Besides, stressing ball movement (more than just a couple feet per pass) is something I think needs to be addressed, too. Make defenses switch and rotate constantly.

If I'm Ty Corbin I try to convince KOC to get as close to equal value for DWill by this year's deadline. With the CBA and lockout looming, there might not be a better time to trade him, and I'd be betting that he was on his way out anyway. As paradoxical as it sounds, as Ty Corbin I think this gives me a better chance at sticking in this job since it is then clear that I'm coaching a rebuilding squad (and we'd be young and talented, with picks coming in).

I'd open up the offense quite a bit, focusing on transition O.

Creating a defensive identity is where I hang my hat. This is item #1 on my to-do list.

Trade Deron.

Yep. I said it. And my blue #8 jersey hanging up 5 feet away from me heard it too.

I have a feeling Deron is becoming Lebronbitchisk. He wants glamor, he wants all star games (which he'll never be a starter since he can't garner enough votes in Utah), he wants trophies, he wants attention, he wants money, media deals, etc.

If he can't win a championship here in the next few years, he'll bail out and join a team of 2-3 other all stars.

Trade him, and get some good stuff in return. A few nice wings. I love Steph Curry. Get us a nice young PG. Somebody quick (like Chris Rock from Houston who can drive right past Deron).

Does that mean he misses a jumper every time he touches the ball?

No when AK was in his prime he has the ball in his hands to set his teammates up. Like how he won us that golden state game after all of our point guards went down. He was great. I just want to see AK doing that for 20 percent of the game. When Deron goes out. That is what made AK good. having the ball in his hands near the free throw line is scary. He is very creative at that point. He doesn't look for the jump shot when he is dribbling. Which takes the jumper out of the equation.

Good job everyone! Who says Jazzfanz doesn't have a lot of knowledgeable posters. Play Fes more, develop the rookies, push the ball for easy transition baskets, limit playing time based on effort and defense, watch film, take advantage of match-ups and guard the darn 3 point line.