What's new

You DONT build around PG

Scorpjazz

Since Magic, never has the best, or top 2-3 PG won a ring. It is the least important position to have an elite player at. Better to have a decent PG and look for the star elsewhere.
Obviously the Jazz have neither at this point, but it blows me away that people are in their soup over losing DWill for all we got. He wasnt a leader, was a finger pointer. Unreal talent and for sure top 2-3 PG in league, no doubt.
The fact that the Nets are fools should make us happy and we scored huge with this trade.
You do NOT win rings by building around a PG. At least none that are in the league right now. MAYBE Rose will buck that trend, but DWill is not Rose.

Since Magic, never has the best, or top 2-3 PG won a ring. It is the least important position to have an elite player at. Better to have a decent PG and look for the star elsewhere. Obviously the Jazz have neither at this point...

Could've stopped right there...pretty much sums it up.

I agree with your point.

But Isiah Thomas was the best PG when he won 2 championships.

/ducks

At that time he was one of the top 3, arguable the best. Magic was still a notch ahead and Stock was the best pure PG. But you could argue that Isaiah was the best PG for those years. Definitely top 3. Kinda does buck the trend.

At that time he was one of the top 3, arguable the best. Magic was still a notch ahead and Stock was the best pure PG. But you could argue that Isaiah was the best PG for those years. Definitely top 3. Kinda does buck the trend.

People forgt that Isaiah Thomas + Joe Dumars was and probably is to this day one of the best backcourts ever assembled. Dumars was easily top 3 SG in the late 80s. Jordan himself stated that Dumars was the best defending SG hed ever faced. Add in a great PF with rodman, and the rest of the badboys, and theres your championships.

You know you could also argue that the Pistons of the 2000's best player was also a PG. It is hard to argue against Billups as one of if not the top PG in the league when they won it all. Their team didn't really have a superstar, and Billups filled that role more than the other players really. Again a backcourt with top 5 SG (Rip) and top 3 PG (Billups).

I guess maybe you can build a championship team around a solid PG. It sure doesn't appear to be easy. And you definitely need a 2nd star/top-level player in another position, but it can be done.

Really the test is if you can get 2 star-caliber players regardless of position.

Magic/Worthy/Kareem
Isaiah/Dumars
Jordan/Pippen
Olajuwon (this kind of bucks the trend for one year, the next he had Drexler)
Billups/Rip
Shaq/Kobe
Parker/Ginobli/Duncan
Wade/Shaq
Kobe/Gasol
KG/Pierce/Allen

Even that is no guarantee. Many teams with 2 stars have been knocked off. But without 2 stars you are a very very long shot to get there.

I don't think the Nets are trying to build a championship team around DWill. I think they wanted him due to his talent and to tempt another superstar to come over.

Absolutely. If they can pick up Howard, look out eastern conference! It is always two star-caliber players. I thought we had close to that with Boozer, but he was too injury prone and played matador defense.

Yep; Williams is either a lure or trade bait; we'll see next year 'bout this time...
A big problem with Williams is defensively he lacked the lateral quickness of many of the younger PG's coming out the last few years. He's better defensively than Boozer, but no where near the defender Devin Harris is at PG, for instance... And, both Isiah and Dumars were excellent defenders... At SG, Williams, IMO, is a much better defender, where he needs less quickness and can use his strength more effectively to deny position.

Isiah was a mediocre defender, at best.

Dumars was another plane as far as elite backcourt D.

Last edited:
I don't know if you should or shouldn't build around a point guard. I do know you absolutely can build around Deron Williams.

Teams win championships not PGs, SGs, SF, PFs or Centers not even two superstars. It a team game and the Jazz will go on no matter who is on the team. I like DW as a player. I think he got frustrated with the lack of improvement with the team much like many people on this board. I wish him well and hope that dealing him improves the team down the line because all I really want is for the Utah Jazz to win a championship. I don't care who plays for them.

If you can build a good two-man game and then have above-average players at 4 or all 5 positions (kind of like a rich-man's 2004 Pistons), I believe it makes a ton of sense. Bringing that much QUANTITY of skilled players is challenging, though, which I think is the biggest problem.

If you have to worry about ONLY two positions to have as your pillars, I believe they would be C and SG, in that order (besides tradition showing this, you can basically do everything the Jazz do with their 1-4 but with bigger players).

But, I have a big problem with the word 'can't' and correlation does not (necessarily) show cause.