What's new

"You get 6 fouls. You can't take them home with you, why not use them?"

LunaticWolf

I love this quote Matt! Why don't we also spot the Celtics 12 points just for kicks and giggles?

When are we going to learn that the best defenses don't give up 25 free shots a game?

Fouls are only okay when you're preventing the easy basket. This being said, a lot of the time they make the easy basket even though they get fouled. Put the man on the ground!

I love this quote Matt! Why don't we also spot the Celtics 12 points just for kicks and giggles?

When are we going to learn that the best defenses don't give up 25 free shots a game?

I don't think he's saying foul just to foul. I think he's saying when you only have one or two in the game, especially if you are a bench player, you don't stand idly by while someone goes in for an uncontested layup.

I don't think he's saying foul just to foul. I think he's saying when you only have one or two in the game, especially if you are a bench player, you don't stand idly by while someone goes in for an uncontested layup.

Or even better, why don't you contest the layup without fouling? If you watch, that is exactly what the Celtics do, and why they have the top defense in the NBA.

We are one of the top teams at drawing fouls in this league. If we cut down our fouls by two a game, four less opposing free throws, we'd have a great record right now.

Or even better, why don't you contest the layup without fouling? If you watch, that is exactly what the Celtics do, and why they have the top defense in the NBA.

We are one of the top teams at drawing fouls in this league. If we cut down our fouls by two a game, four less opposing free throws, we'd have a great record right now.

So every foul results in two free throws? When did this happen?

Bingo. But the truth is not near as much fun as making something up.

Mat is not exactly a genius. He should stick to calling the game, and leave the strategizing to the coaches.

If the voice of the jazz spends every game saying that the Jazz should foul more, that doesn't help the team not get called for fouls. What is scary, is that the team players may actually think this too. Try to make a clean play. If you try, sometimes you'll get away with it, like the Celtics did 20 times last night. If everybody knows you like to foul a lot, the refs are going to call lots of fouls on you. This is the difference between good teams and bad teams.

With regards to the young guys, not fouling is especially critical. If you are only playing 5 minutes, all the more reason to use your energy to get into position to make a play without fouling.

If they fall into that trap of thinking, "well the ref is just going to call a foul anyway, so i might as well foul" this could ruin their career.

Mat also should shut up about critisizing every time a player takes a jump shot. Not all inside shots are good shots, and not all jump shots are bad shots. If this mentality were cut out, maybe the players would have more confidence in their shot.

Jazz fans loved Matt Harpring because he was a tough guy, but I think he has more football sense than basketball sense.

Some times last night a Jazz player forced a difficult shot near the basket when they should have just passed the ball.

contest wtithout fouling?
celtics did not do that.
the refs just forget to convienantly blow their whistle