What's new

Your ideal finish to free agency?

YoungJefe

If you were Danny Ainge, how would you allocate our free agent resources / what trades would you make to finish the roster?

Honestly? We just need players that outperform their contracts. I probably wouldn't pick anyone up that directly overlaps Kessler or Lauri, but other than that see what you can get without overpaying.

Get Rudy Gay a bus ticket out of town. Salary dumps. THT and JC opt in.
I'm not sure it's so important to lose Gay. Reports last year indicated he went from maybe sulking a bit to being a pretty useful veteran presence in the locker room. I don't mind him playing 10-15 minutes mentoring a bunch of kids. I obviously won't cry if he plays somewhere else next year, but unless there's a roster crunch, I think he can be a good influence. I definitely would not attach any kind of asset to get rid of him.

I'm not sure it's so important to lose Gay. Reports last year indicated he went from maybe sulking a bit to being a pretty useful veteran presence in the locker room. I don't mind him playing 10-15 minutes mentoring a bunch of kids. I obviously won't cry if he plays somewhere else next year, but unless there's a roster crunch, I think he can be a good influence. I definitely would not attach any kind of asset to get rid of him.
can you say buy out?

We probably have enough players under 25. Not sure if getting more young should be a priority.
we do, but many are not going to be here for long is my guess. I would rather have one more high floor contributor under 25 via trade than another 19 year old project, but Rudy Gay is nothing more than a old hat at this point.

we do, but many are not going to be here for long is my guess. I would rather have one more high floor contributor under 25 via trade than another 19 year old project, but Rudy Gay is nothing more than a old hat at this point.
I definitely see some use for keeping Olynyk around a bit for Hendricks sake.

Keep Olynyk unless there's a good trade for him on the table.
Keep THT.
Assume Clarkson moves on.
Sign someone for wing depth, preferably someone who can both shoot and facilitate. Personally, I like Troy Brown Jr., maybe Shake Milton.
Picking up a guy like Harrison Barnes or Jerami Grant would raise the Jazz's floor some.
Dario Saric could play the Olynyk role for the most part if Kelly moves on.

I think the Jazz want to be a playoff team this year.

Last edited:
My ideal free agency was to sign Naz Reid but that dream is now dead with his new extension with the wolves.

I hope we can get someone to come help mentor Keyonte at the point, giving him support and pointers, the do’s and dont’s.. but doesn't mind not starting.. the Andre Miller type.

are we going to save up for next year? i think Haliburton is available?
That's the ultimate wet dream. He's exactly what we need. With who we have right now, Halliburton makes us instant contenders. He'd get the very best out of our huge front line. Add an offensive minded 3&D secondary playmaker and wow. We'd make some noise.