What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Jrue Holiday is likely a better overall player than Conley and it is universally agreed that we would all love to have him... but he is currently not a better offensive player than Mike. More versatile and better defender... and younger... but he's had health issues too.

Jrue likely can't be had for 2 firsts, Grayson, and whatever else we offer. Conley can... It's nice to add guys that can be part of the core for 3,4,5 years but guys that can give you great value the next 2-3 shouldn't be ignored either. Rudy ain't got forever... Hayward grew impatient... How long is DM going to wait?

Hayward would have left no matter what. He didn't grow impatient. He wanted Stevens and Boston. That's it.

So $32.5 and $34.5 the next two years to add Conley while acknowledging that we are giving up Favors, Rubio, Exum, a 1st rounder and cap space for two offseasons to do it.

So it's Conley and whoever will take our $8.6 million MLE that we can use either this summer or next. I'd pass on that.

Exum is ded… so that's a nothing-burger. Favs and Rubio have to go to make any meaningful deal. They would use our cap space this year... so... the 1st and cap space next year is the real value in the trade. Reduce Conley's 34.5 by ded Exum's 9.6 and that is not that bad.

If we did Conley we could cobble together 10-15M in cap space to go at a Niko type guy (probably the best free agent we have a good shot at signing). Could also work a sign and trade using Crowder and give him a little more if we wanted to keep Kyle/Neto.

Can then use room exception to address other needs.

Conley was a top 10 offensive player based on real-plus minus. He is also a solid defensive player, so no slip there from Conley to Rubio. He does a lot of the stuff we need and is absolutely a guy you want in a playoff series. He is so steady... like a super George Hill. I think people are underselling how good he is. After watching the playoffs I think we need serious/proven creators... not the Jeremy Lamb's of the world.

Harris is a better long term piece... maybe, but to sign him you lose Favs, Ricky, and likely have to waive Kyle or Neto (not sure Neto gets us close enough to have max space). So is Harris, 2019 1st, Exum's ded contract, better than the Conley deal? How big of a chance do we have to sign Harris? 10%? 20%?

Hayward would have left no matter what. He didn't grow impatient. He wanted Stevens and Boston. That's it.

Probably right but we gave him a legit excuse by not utilizing the cap to make the team as competitive as possible. Good point.

Exum is ded… so that's a nothing-burger. Favs and Rubio have to go to make any meaningful deal. They would use our cap space this year... so... the 1st and cap space next year is the real value in the trade. Reduce Conley's 34.5 by ded Exum's 9.6 and that is not that bad.

If we did Conley we could cobble together 10-15M in cap space to go at a Niko type guy (probably the best free agent we have a good shot at signing). Could also work a sign and trade using Crowder and give him a little more if we wanted to keep Kyle/Neto.

Can then use room exception to address other needs.

Conley was a top 10 offensive player based on real-plus minus. He is also a solid defensive player, so no slip there from Conley to Rubio. He does a lot of the stuff we need and is absolutely a guy you want in a playoff series. He is so steady... like a super George Hill. I think people are underselling how good he is. After watching the playoffs I think we need serious/proven creators... not the Jeremy Lamb's of the world.

Harris is a better long term piece... maybe, but to sign him you lose Favs, Ricky, and likely have to waive Kyle or Neto (not sure Neto gets us close enough to have max space). So is Harris, 2019 1st, Exum's ded contract, better than the Conley deal? How big of a chance do we have to sign Harris? 10%? 20%?
Yes trade Dante and favs together. Let them succeed together

Yes trade Dante and favs together. Let them succeed together

I hope Favs does not join Exum in the underworld, but if they are both there that will be a heck of a combo.

I haven't given up on Exum yet. I know a bunch of others have, but I still think he will be a very valuable player for the franchise.

Okay I’m gonna throw an idea out there that’s not been mentioned.

Listen I’m sure the Dubs would prefer to keep Durant over Draymond. They seem to struggle to co-exist. So if Durant said I’ll re-up if you get rid of him, I think 1) the Dubs would try to do it. 2) We’d have a shot at Draymond.

Favors (and filler) for Draymond.

This gives the Dubs a legit 5 and then they could go out and try to sign a stretch 4 to the MLE or just start Iggy at the 3 and manage his minutes and Durant at the 4.

The jazz should of played more Joe ingles in pick and roll situations against the rockets. He's the best playmaker they have. For some reason donovan kept getting the ball at the top and shooting bricks the hole series. Terrible game plan. Anyone in the team could of done what donovan did in the playoffs just shoot and miss. He's a great talent but not as good as everyone thinks. I hope he's not Monte.... They need a good shooting wing
How do we get Basketball Reference to list Dante’s nickname as DedEx?

Okay I’m gonna throw an idea out there that’s not been mentioned.

Listen I’m sure the Dubs would prefer to keep Durant over Draymond. They seem to struggle to co-exist. So if Durant said I’ll re-up if you get rid of him, I think 1) the Dubs would try to do it. 2) We’d have a shot at Draymond.

Favors (and filler) for Draymond.

This gives the Dubs a legit 5 and then they could go out and try to sign a stretch 4 to the MLE or just start Iggy at the 3 and manage his minutes and Durant at the 4.

I think Durant's gone either way, sounds like him going to New York is pretty much a done deal. I honestly don't think Draymond would move the needle much for us anyway. He's a great defender be we already have a great defense. What we need is offense, Draymond isn't a scorer and he isn't a good shooter at all. If we move on from Favors we need a stretch 4.

I haven't given up on Exum yet. I know a bunch of others have, but I still think he will be a very valuable player for the franchise.

Well good for you... I held on as long as I could. I wish him well but I’d love to be out of the Exum business at this point.

Whoa... flame thrower there... someone call the burn unit
When your so called best offensively player breaks a record for the worst per by a player using 30 % of possession in the playoffs since the 70's U know U have problems. Tell the jazz to sign me I can do that lol

I don't think a guy like Draymond is what we are lacking. If you relied on Draymond to be your 3rd best scorer (much less 1st or 2nd), your team would struggle.

I think Durant's gone either way, sounds like him going to New York is pretty much a done deal. I honestly don't think Draymond would move the needle much for us anyway. He's a great defender be we already have a great defense. What we need is offense, Draymond isn't a scorer and he isn't a good shooter at all. If we move on from Favors we need a stretch 4.

I understand it seems like Durant is headed to NY. **** changes all the time. I’m simply saying what if we could get him based on the apparent internal strife in Golden State.

I know Draymond’s numbers from the perimeter have gotten worse the last few years but I wonder how much of that is from a lack of being engaged as a scorer. His defense and passing are elite. His rebounding is strong. He has a bit more of an offensive game than they run for him there. And he has great switchability.

I don’t know, maybe he’d be a downgrade from Crowder but I think it’s an interesting option to explore.