What's new

YOUTUBE: 2000 Playoffs - Jazz vs. Sonics (technicals, ejections, ect)

vslice02

After seeing Prodigy's great video from the '94 playoffs, I decided to upload another emotional playoff contest - Game 4 of the 2000 first-round series vs. Seattle.
This game - a 104-93 Sonics' win - pretty much had everything: a Sloan ejection, a Malone ejection, a Hornacek technical, Malone and Gary Payton trash-talking, and of course the Greg Ostertag show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9SG2sUB98&feature=channel_video_title

Wasn't this the same series a Sonic fan sitting court side in Utah held on to Malone when he dove for a loose ball so he couldn't get back into the play and then later tried to sue Malone. If so I was at those home games and that was one of the funner series I remember with the whole DC chanting "Gaaarrry" (to Gary Payton).

Wasn't this the same series a Sonic fan sitting court side in Utah held on to Malone when he dove for a loose ball so he couldn't get back into the play and then later tried to sue Malone. If so I was at those home games and that was one of the funner series I remember with the whole DC chanting "Gaaarrry" (to Gary Payton).
Yup, that was Game 5. Incident obviously wasn't shown on camera.

Believe it or not that was the last playoff series that Stockton/Malone won.

Look at that putrid bench - Padgett, Lewis, Vaughn, Polynice, Gilliam. Not to mention Jeff Hornacek running on fumes.

Say what you want about him; but how Sloan got 55 wins out of that team is beyond me. Forget the 03-04 season - he should have been COY that year.

LOL at the end.
Reporter to Sloan. "Why did he kick you out?"
Sloan. " I probably wasn't very polite"

Classic.

wow, looking at sloan in this.... maybe he did lose his fire this season. i havent seen him fired up like that in a long while

that was great, thanks for posting this video vslice. our last season with hornacek(was still putting up pretty respectable #'s). we still somehow won 53 games the next season after horny retired but it ended with the dallas series and the calvin booth shot.

Loved towards the end when one of the refs tried to grab Malone's waist and Malone said something along the lines of "Dont touch me" and the refs threw his hands back pretty damn fast.

Believe it or not that was the last playoff series that Stockton/Malone won.

Look at that putrid bench - Padgett, Lewis, Vaughn, Polynice, Gilliam. Not to mention Jeff Hornacek running on fumes.

Say what you want about him; but how Sloan got 55 wins out of that team is beyond me. Forget the 03-04 season - he should have been COY that year.

This was a pretty typical season for talent provided Stockton/Malone/Sloan; after the Hornacek trade, the Jazz really became relevant and, likewise, improved through a couple of FA signings (Carr, Morris, Eisley) and low draft picks (Russ, who actually was drafted before Horny was traded for; Anderson), but by 2000 it was business as usual: massive holes in the lineup, no bench, and not much talent beyond Malone and Stockton.

The early 90s were, arguably, even worse.

The Millers were always great owners. Absolutely...Sterling.

wow, looking at sloan in this.... maybe he did lose his fire this season. i havent seen him fired up like that in a long while
Sloan definitely lost some energy, but the entire screaming and berating of officials is down across the league since then (it's mostly whining instead of yelling). Since Stockton and Malone retired I felt that while alot of Jerry's energy was still there he clearly didn't go after the officials as aggressively as he used to.

FWIW, just looked it up and in the 1999-00 regular season Sloan had 24 technicals and 6 ejections in the playoffs (10 games) an additional 4 techs and 1 ejection. Last year, Sloan had 4 techs, 1 ejections and 1 T in the playoffs. As a team, the Jazz had 55 technicals in 99-00 (last year they had 21, this year 41 but that's largely due to the league cracking down).

Great clip Slice. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sloan, Malone and Stockton were great to see. Our bench made me shudder.

Also, the editing was kind of extremely ****ing bad...but Im sure you're working on that.

that vid made me forget how good stockton/malone/hornacek were... and how awful that bench was... IF only that team had a legit bench they would have won a championship