What's new

Youtube: 2001 Mavericks/Jazz - Game 1 - (Nowitzki's 1st Playoff Game)

vslice02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ee-Z4-66j8

Here are some highlights I uploaded if you'd like to see how a 22-year old Dirk Nowitzki (20 points, 12 rebounds) and a 27-year old Steve Nash (20 pts, 7 ast) played earlier in their careers, as well as a phenomenal performance by 39-year old John Stockton (12 pts, 18 ast, 6 reb, 2 blks).

Note: For me the video plays much better when viewed directly on youtube.

Last edited:
Wow. That just takes me back in so many ways. NBA on NBC, Jim Gray, Don and Donnie Nelson-coached Mavs, Michael Finley, non-broken Juwan Howard, Shawn Bradley, 5-game first rounds, Doug Collins still on commentary, Eisley on the Mavs, etc etc etc. Great stuff.

That was a great two-game series. The other three, however, were awful, awful, awful - maybe the three worst playoff games Utah has ever played consecutively.

I still wish ill of Calvin Booth and his family.

I fail to grasp the humor. explain?

I chuckle when I think that this was 10 years ago and I was 16 at this game with my brother remembering vividly the final strip by Karl. It's like a Red Sox fan recalling where they were or if they were at the game where Fisk signaled his home run ball over the big green monster to stay fair while watching it while walking down the 1st base line.

I chuckle when I think that this was 10 years ago and I was 16 at this game with my brother remembering vividly the final strip by Karl. It's like a Red Sox fan recalling where they were or if they were at the game where Fisk signaled his home run ball over the big green monster to stay fair while watching it while walking down the 1st base line.

Hilarious.

thanks for the share slice, 18 assist for a 39 year old, incredible. malone underrated defense.

That was a heart breaker. I was expecting us to advance easy. Michael Finley was also awesome in that series. Still upset about the game Dirk and Nash kept burying threes (or was that the whole series?) and Nash sunk one from almost half court at the halftime buzzer with two guys on him.

Also, did Dirk even miss a FT that entire series?

Still upset about the game Dirk and Nash kept burying threes (or was that the whole series?) and Nash sunk one from almost half court at the halftime buzzer with two guys on him.
That was Game 4 - and I agree I still get upset when I think about that explosion. Sadly Utah lost the series in Game 3 - when they had a 1-point lead with less than a minute to play, but Dallas got the win and the confidence that came with it, then Malone injured his back during the Game 4 blowout and it hampered him in Game 5.

donyell marshall used to drain 3s! haha
Bizarrely enough, Donyell has the NBA record (along with Kobe) for most 3-pointers in a game with 12. One of the alltime "WTF records," especially since he was a sub-par 3pt-shooter with the Jazz.

Sad that even though I knew the outcome of that game I was sitting on the edge of my seat watching that. So fun to watch Stockton pick apart a defense again even at that age. I am going to be so upset if this season is lost to a lock out. I need my Jazz.

You watch these and can't believe how much emotion is in that arena. That's what's missing with the Jazz and the NBA as a whole these days.