What's new

YouTube and Ad Blockers

Al-O-Meter

For me, YouTube brought the hammer down today. I had been using AdBlock Plus and up until today I had been getting a warning that an Ad Blocker had been detected, but I clicked away the pop-up and continued on. Now I get a black screen with a message that YouTube will not play until I disable the Ad Blocker.

I’ve searched and so far the best work around I’ve found is the Brave browser. It has an Ad Blocker built in to the browser and so far it seems to be doing its job on YouTube, but I make sure not to sign in to my account on YouTube in the Brave browser.

For me, YouTube brought the hammer down today. I had been using AdBlock Plus and up until today I had been getting a warning that an Ad Blocker had been detected, but I clicked away the pop-up and continued on. Now I get a black screen with a message that YouTube will not play until I disable the Ad Blocker.

I’ve searched and so far the best work around I’ve found is the Brave browser. It has an Ad Blocker built in to the browser and so far it seems to be doing its job on YouTube, but I make sure not to sign in to my account on YouTube in the Brave browser.
I watch a lot of YT. I just went ahead and paid for YT premium. The creators get more from me watching them with YT premium than if I was watching ads, which I wasn't doing, so I think it's fine. I watch a **** ton of YT so I'm probably in the pennies per hour with premium.

I watch a lot of YT. I just went ahead and paid for YT premium. The creators get more from me watching them with YT premium than if I was watching ads, which I wasn't doing, so I think it's fine. I watch a **** ton of YT so I'm probably in the pennies per hour with premium.
My family also pays $13/mo for a YT premium account, but I don't use it on my main computer so my personal browsing history isn't collected by the algorithm informing the house account. I couldn't justify to myself paying $23/month for the family plan.

Well that's good. We wouldn't want you to rely on Breitbart, Newsmax and Telegram as your only sources of information.

I'm not on YouTube very much, so I'll just sit through any ad <= 1 minute.
And for me, I usually just let it auto play in the browsing part where it'll play with sound and everything and zero ads. For the ones I subscribe to, which are few, I accept the ads. But for random stuff I just let it auto play.

Well that's good. We wouldn't want you to rely on Breitbart, Newsmax and Telegram as your only sources of information.
Breitbart and Newsmax? Is it 2023 where you live? Tip from me to you: When they tell you it is "15 days to slow the spread", don't believe them and wait until you see the crazy stuff that happens on January 6th.

Breitbart and Newsmax? Is it 2023 where you live? Tip from me to you: When they tell you it is "15 days to slow the spread", don't believe them and wait until you see the crazy stuff that happens on January 6th.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you were part of a group preparing for January 6th, Part 2. Pro tip: Craig Robertson might not make it.

I used to use their Play Music and had a few thousand rare/oop things uploaded, so I just switched over to Youtube Music what than change happened a couple of yeah ago. Because the YT Premium include the Music Premium, which I was already paying for for a family plan, I just upgraded and will now pay an extra $6/mo or something to not deal with ads, plus I think there's some free movies involved?

I used to use their Play Music and had a few thousand rare/oop things uploaded, so I just switched over to Youtube Music what than change happened a couple of yeah ago. Because the YT Premium include the Music Premium, which I was already paying for for a family plan, I just upgraded and will now pay an extra $6/mo or something to not deal with ads, plus I think there's some free movies involved?
Unfortunately YouTube TV and YouTube Premium are 100% not the same and there is no crossover in the subscriptions, so I don't think you'll get any movies that aren't already available on basic YouTube.

Unfortunately YouTube TV and YouTube Premium are 100% not the same and there is no crossover in the subscriptions, so I don't think you'll get any movies that aren't already available on basic YouTube.
I haven't really looked - between Netflix, Prime, Paramount (for ease of Star Trek...) and... sources... I don't really need any more movie providers. really.