What's new

Zach Lowe: Hayward is still Utah best player not Favors, but won't be an All-Star this season

couscous

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/...-represent-their-conference-nba-all-star-game

Hayward has been the one constant in Utah, filling every role as the undermanned Jazz cling to a playoff spot. It was popular early in the season to suggest Favors had surpassed Hayward as Utah's best player, but Favors has never proven he can lead a productive two-way team without Hayward orchestrating the pick-and-roll. Rodney Hood has swiped some of that responsibility from Hayward, and Hayward slumped through the first month of the season. He has been on fire since, but that's enough to keep him out of Toronto -- barely.

Only way Hayward gets in is if he puts together a stretch of games were he is consistently putting up at least 28-5-5.

Only way Hayward gets in is if he puts together a stretch of games were he is consistently putting up at least 28-5-5.

Hayward deserves a spot IMO.

Will he get it , no, for a myriad of reasons. (Small Market, he is not flashy, etc...)

You could compare Hayward's year to Anthony Davis' year. Davis really isn't playing that much better than Hayward. In the month of January Hayward has actually been better than Davis.

I only make the comp because both are playing on injury riddled teams that have under-performed.

You could compare Hayward's year to Anthony Davis' year. Davis really isn't playing that much better than Hayward. In the month of January Hayward has actually been better than Davis.

I only make the comp because both are playing on injury riddled teams that have under-performed.

You could argue that Davis is better than Hayward even with close to the same numbers just purely on the position he plays. How many Centers can put up those numbers as opposed to swing men

You could argue that Davis is better than Hayward even with close to the same numbers just purely on the position he plays. How many Centers can put up those numbers as opposed to swing men

Davis is better than Hayward, by a long shot, I just think he is having a subpar year. I think it's interesting that Hayward is at least close to having as good of a year (not saying that he is).

I doubt Hayward will ever be an All Star. He's good, but there will probably always be a few forwards better than him. Hes just not on the same level as Davis, Durant, Griffin, etc..

I could see him getting in because of injuries or something. Kinda like Korver. Although, he's a lot better than Korver. It's just gonna be hard for him if everyone is healthy. Being in Utah doesn't do him any favors either.

I like Lowe but I disagree. I think Favors is a great pick and roll big and isn't just a beneficiary of Hayward's playmaking.

I like Lowe but I disagree. I think Favors is a great pick and roll big and isn't just a beneficiary of Hayward's playmaking.

Favors is more than capable of being a great PNR big, the Exum/Favors PNR is going to terrorize the league in years to come

Before his injury Favors was our best player. He was having an all star type of year. I'd take him over Hayward in a heart beat.

Favors is more than capable of being a great PNR big, the Exum/Favors PNR is going to terrorize the league in years to come

Really has the potential to be a match made in heaven. Exum the smart, heads up player who can blow by anybody and make the right decision in the PNR and Favors the all-around PNR finisher and bruiser inside.

I think the PNR is a huge part of this team that's absent with Favors out. Gobert is OK but not really reliable rolling to the basket and Lyles and Booker aren't really the finishing threats you would want in the PNR. Favors has ability to attack the rim, spot up, and post up as a real dynamic threat.