What's new

Zach Lowe tells Utah (and a couple other teams) what to do in free agency

My2Cents

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-eight-biggest-nba-free-agency-questions/
A bunch of those teams — Utah, Orlando, Milwaukee, Detroit, Phoenix, and others — have cap room this summer, and they should be hell-bent on using it. I don’t really even care who they sign, provided it’s not an obviously below-average player on the downswing. Pick a young or mid-career free agent and ****ing splurge. Almost any deal with a solid player at $15 million or below this summer will look fine once the cap cracks $100 million. Have a jones for Khris Middleton? MAX HIM OUT. Hesitant to snap up Monroe in free agency because you already have one decent low-post guy? SIGN HIM ANYWAY. Does $12 million for DeMarre Carroll or Danny Green seem insane? They’re in their primes, and they do very important NBA things well. GO GET THEM. Barring disaster, all these guys will be on tradable contracts if the fit isn’t ideal on your team.
Also...
Aldridge is an especially interesting case who could tilt the balance of power in the Western Conference. Executives have been whispering for months that San Antonio is his preferred destination, and the Spurs could clear room by re-signing Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili on the cheap; trading Tiago Splitter; and letting Danny Green walk

It is a possibility. I still think a trade with the tons of picks, foreign players, Burke, Booker and other tradeable contracts is possible.

evrything but cake bakking is stoopid

I agree somewhat... I've proposed some drastic moves lately because I just feel like we can't let our cap space just sit there.

Did some homework... I reaalllllly want Patty Mills. He had injuries all last year and still was pretty effective. He shot it at 40%+ from three the prior three years. When he finally got healthy in the playoffs this year he effing killed it. He puts up a ton of threes too... like 10 per 48 minutes... Steph is like at 12 per 48 minutes. Think he could carry the bag at pg when Exum struggles and could be a great backcourt match with both Burks and Exum.

I'd be willing to give up our capspace and take Diaw and Mills. We could give Cotton back (whom SA liked I believe) as an uber cheap backup. This would allow them to clear space to keep Green and get Aldridge. I'd give up the OKC first rounder and draft rights to Neto (we might be guaging his interest in coming over right now in efforts to trade him... we have a ton of pg prospects) to get it done. Diaw can come in and be our playmaking four for a year or two and then hopefully Lyles would be ready. His contract is only partially guaranteed in 2016 and unguaranteed in 2017 so its not as horrible as some might think. Hopefully he's not too fat and Rudy's french connection could help keep him engaged and motivated.

It means let it breathe...

It means stay patient and let this group come together.

And don't open the oven door before it's ready or it will all go flat.

I suppose an alternate meaning with these guys could be to hold the covers over the cake's head after you fart becuz itz funy.

I agree somewhat... I've proposed some drastic moves lately because I just feel like we can't let our cap space just sit there.

Did some homework... I reaalllllly want Patty Mills. He had injuries all last year and still was pretty effective. He shot it at 40%+ from three the prior three years. When he finally got healthy in the playoffs this year he effing killed it. He puts up a ton of threes too... like 10 per 48 minutes... Steph is like at 12 per 48 minutes. Think he could carry the bag at pg when Exum struggles and could be a great backcourt match with both Burks and Exum.

I'd be willing to give up our capspace and take Diaw and Mills. We could give Cotton back (whom SA liked I believe) as an uber cheap backup. This would allow them to clear space to keep Green and get Aldridge. I'd give up the OKC first rounder and draft rights to Neto (we might be guaging his interest in coming over right now in efforts to trade him... we have a ton of pg prospects) to get it done. Diaw can come in and be our playmaking four for a year or two and then hopefully Lyles would be ready. His contract is only partially guaranteed in 2016 and unguaranteed in 2017 so its not as horrible as some might think. Hopefully he's not too fat and Rudy's french connection could help keep him engaged and motivated.

BTW, I was joking about the cake bakking. I want to spend. Carroll or Green would be great. I'll take the trade you propose, too. Good ideas.

This is a rare opportunity to add an infusion of talent. It should be seized.

Let the cake bake. Stand Pat.

I agree for the most part and I think this is the most likely course that the Jazz take.

But DL never ceases to surprise me, so I still think he may spin a deal or two. (Clearly this is me calling for a Favors trade. Worthless bum!)

If the Jazz are gonna spend big, not sure how feasible it is, but I like the idea of Tobias Harris as a 6th man. He'd be a good offensive spark to have on the roster for when the points aren't coming easy.

green.jpg

It's not just about using all the cap space you can. You have to concern yourself with chemistry.

We have 3 wings already with Ingles probably being a fourth. How are we going to explain to the wings that we are bringing a Danny Green or Demarre Carroll, that they will be sitting on the bench a ton? Or how do we sell to the free agent they will play limited minutes.

That's the dilemma we have. The wing we have are in development mode. Do we really want to ef with that or risk pissing them off?

I don't think spending the money is the issue, it's what to do about minutes and chemistry.

I think we get a guy that can help us make a playoff push now. I think we have a fair shot at winning the division. Outside of Durant and Westbrook we are better than OKC. Without them both they are quite beatable. Will they both be healthy all year? If we can make a strong playoff push we could become a darling.
The following off season I think we can go after a star. The Jazz could make the argument that not only are they ready to compete but they are one of the deepest teams in the league. They should be able to hold onto that depth for quite a while. Sure SLC isn't a huge draw but the chance to win a ring and be the man that made it happen is.