What's new

Zach Lowe 'Wingspan and a Prayer' Rudy Gobert Article

Why? I understand 500 minutes is a number that seems arbitrary, but it's not totally arbitrary since it does measure how much playing time a guy earned. Given that the failure rate is greater than 98% under that threshold, and it seems safe to say that the failure rate is not that high above the 500 minute mark, I don't think the conclusion is arbitrarily derived.

As a result, I think in order to say he's got a very good shot you'd have to figure out what makes Gobert closer to the exceptions than to the norm for that group.
I don't think it's Gobert's fault that he got less than 500 minutes. His effort, energy, attitude and results should have resulted in more time than that.

I don't think it's Gobert's fault that he got less than 500 minutes. His effort, energy, attitude and results should have resulted in more time than that.
I agree

Yeah, he should have gotten more minutes. I do remember being incredibly frustrated by Gobert's inability to finish with contact or catch passes in traffic. That is probably why Corbin played him so few minutes.

There were 115 who fell, and then came Rudy Gobert...
Zach Lowe and this article can do something that if I said it aloud, I'd get another infraction.

Gobert has the beginnings of a post game developing. That would set him apart from the Tyson Chandler comp. Maybe one day, if we're lucky, he'll draw comparisons to Dikembe Mutombo.

This whole forum is filled with people talking about basketball players because they are basketball players, and that's what Lowe is paid to do. He thought Gobert, in particular, was an interesting player to evaluate. No other motive needed.

This whole forum has also been filled with people talking about teh Tyson Chandlerzz

did you know that a 7 foot tall person has a 1 in 6 chance of making it to the nba?

Where did you get that from?

Does it break it down by more height groups? It would be interesting to see a breakdown from 5 feet to 7.

#graphnerd

Rudy Gobert can easily average 10 points 10 rebounds and 2 blocks per game.

The problem is everyone is stat whores now days and they don't think that is good enough. And big guys don't get the credit they deserve anymore. The late 90's & early 2000's is where it started to change.

Guys like Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, Luc Longley, Bill Laimbeer etc etc wouldn't even play in todays game because these stupid GM's are looking for complete players who can do everything at he PF and C positions.

Which is ridiculous. Great defenses have GREAT role players who can do the little things that never show up in the box score. But GM's are lazy and don't know basketball anymore and they just look at numbers.

Gobert needs to bulk up a little bit and he needs to learn to play within himself. He should get his points off passes under the basket and offensive rebounds. You don't go to him in the post. If he learns that he can be an amazing center. But he needs playing time to develop.

that comment made me feel very empty inside

did you know that a 7 foot tall person has a 1 in 6 chance of making it to the nba?
I have a feeling that the percentage is actually much higher than that, especially if you limit the field to legit, stocking footed 7 footers (which would eliminate many of the so called 7 footers who have made the NBA from the category). I doubt there is a single 7 footer born anywhere in the world in the last 50 years who hasn't been given a serious look by NBA personnel, and that includes 7 footers who have no basketball talent or passion whatsoever.

I have a feeling that the percentage is actually much higher than that, especially if you limit the field to legit, stocking footed 7 footers (which would eliminate many of the so called 7 footers who have made the NBA from the category). I doubt there is a single 7 footer born anywhere in the world in the last 50 years who hasn't been given a serious look by NBA personnel, and that includes 7 footers who have no basketball talent or passion whatsoever.
I wonder if nba scouts looked into The Big Show to see if he had the ability to ball.

I disagree with a couple of premises in the article: 1) that Gobert's value to the Jazz may be as trade bait. HIGHLY unlikely unless Lebron or Durant come over in the deal. 2) that Utah doesn't have the outside shooting to allow Gobert to be utilized. Lowe says Utah could use a guy like Korver. Jazz have that in Hood. Granted, the Favors/Kanter combo is a concern as a starting combo. But Gobert will likely come off the bench with Hood at SF and Novak or Booker at PF, with Exum as the PG. Just need some range from whoever is at SG. Assuming Hayward starts at SF, he'll likely slide over to SG and play some with the subs before coming out. Felix has some range. Point is, I think we're going to be very pleased with the 2nd unit, led by Gobert.