What's new

Zanik Draft Press Conference

I have no idea what is going to happen this year, but I am excited about the future and think the Western Conference is changing guards. As Thriller mentioned, lots of last year's teams are getting older and have issues. Jazz need to develop their young talent and make a key FA acquisition and they will be competing for the playoffs hopefully and maybe more someday.

There is a very good chance that we miss the playoffs. I don't think you truly grasp how good the west is. All the teams that made the playoffs last year are still right there and I expect massive improvements from rockets, spurs, mavs and blazers. Not only could we miss the playoffs but we could have a solid season with great player development and still be in the bottom 3 of the west.
But we haven't got our pick next year.

Interesting to me to explicitly say they had Hendricks 9, Keyonte 10, and Brice at 18 (can't remember if he actually said that about Hendricks or if I read that on twitter). Basically saying if anyone else had slipped at 9 they would've taken someone else, lol. But whatever. Welcome to all 3!
His wording on that was confusing. I couldn’t tell if that was their big board rankings or if that was the order they thought they’d be drafted. He said something like they had to identify someone at 9 because that was where they were drafting. That made it sound more like they thought Hendricks would be there at 9 (not necessarily that he was 9th on their big board).

I do miss DL's propensity to create a storyline for every draft pick (aka procieption, hand pads, being ranked high on an analytics model, Sloan told us to draft him, etc.)

They usually just became memes, but it was fun to have a little unique tidbit to attribute to prospects.

Hand pads that was ****ing awesome.

So they didn't ask him where Hendricks was ranked on their board. He pretty much volunteered that information unprompted. Such a weird thing to say. And he actually did say at first "we got 2 players from our top 10".

I think we need to do what we did last year 1 more time.

Except …

1) We might piss off Lauri

2) Next years draft is supposedly weak

Also, we just end up giving away our pick the next year in a better draft.

I don't get why people are upset about that comment about Hendricks being rated at 9. It's not like he was supposed to go top 5 and he said "we had him at 15, right where we thought". It's an honest evaluation and I don't find it demeaning. I hope it will motivate him to work hard from day one. Do you prefer DL who was telling how Udoka was their nr 1 on big board?

I don't get why people are upset about that comment about Hendricks being rated at 9. It's not like he was supposed to go top 5 and he said "we had him at 15, right where we thought". It's an honest evaluation and I don't find it demeaning. I hope it will motivate him to work hard from day one. Do you prefer DL who was telling how Udoka was their nr 1 on big board?
Because everyone argued all draft process about how much upside Hendricks had relative to the other top prospects. Everyone just a bit bummed we had to settle for the scraps.

And again, Udoka was ranked on an analytics board, not an actual board.

Tony Jones has said multiple times the Jazz want the 2024 pick to convey to OKC. They don’t want it to happen in 2025.
They will try, but if they are looking at the 11th pick are they really going to go all out to get to the playoffs or just pack it in a d play all the rookies big minutes?

I think we need to do what we did last year 1 more time.

Except …

1) We might piss off Lauri

2) Next years draft is supposedly weak

We have no clue if next years draft is weak or if the 2025 draft will be strong at this point. Also give me a top 10 pick in a weak draft versus the 20+ pick in a strong draft any day of the weak.

I guarantee no one in the organization has said that to Tony.
maybe not but someone in the organization might have said that they aren't tanking and will try to make the playoffs next year (which is essentially the same thing as saying they want the pick to convey next year) which could just be "coach speak" and mean nothing at all.

i wouldn't expect anyone in the organization to to tell tony that we are going to try to suck really bad next year in order to keep our pick for example.

We have no clue if next years draft is weak
True. But we do have a clue that the experts/talking heads are saying it will be weak.