What's new

Okur May Return On Pre-Christmas Road Trip

toyguc

Jazz big man Mehmet Okur hasn't played in a game since April, but he's close to returning after nearly an eight-month absence due to Achilles surgery.

According to Jazz president Randy Rigby, Okur could return during the team's pre-Christmas road trip.

Utah's four-game trip begins Friday in New Orleans and ends on Dec. 22 in Minnesota.

"We think it's a matter of maybe a week, hopefully, that we're gonna see him close to action," Rigby said. "So, I'm optimistic that within a week to two weeks, I'm hoping, that we see Memo back on the court."

https://basketball.realgm.com/src_w...3/okur_may_return_on_pre_christmas_road_trip/

:D:D:D

I think this will help Sap and AJ a ton. This gives us a 4 or 5 big man rotation with AJ, Millsap, Okur, Elson, (Ak limited), and even big Fes when he isn't hurt, dizzy, or having a tommy ache.

Are we talking about Boozer or Okur?

Interesting that Jazz fans feel the need to continuously complain about Boozer, even now that he's no longer on the team, while ignoring the 17 million dollar albatross, Andrei Kirilenko, known for crying jags, disappearing for entire seasons, and bouts of vaginal infection.

Might as well be a bunch of Commies bitching about Ike the same day they erect a Stalin Memorial.

Interesting that Jazz fans feel the need to continuously complain about Boozer, even now that he's no longer on the team, while ignoring the 17 million dollar albatross, Andrei Kirilenko, known for crying jags, disappearing for entire seasons, and bouts of vaginal infection.

Might as well be a bunch of Russians bitching about Ike the same day they erect a Stalin Memorial.

Interesting and tragicomic that people talk about AK incess-tragicomed-antly when the thread isn't about him.

The 4-5 spot in this line-up have performed rather well this year, unless Okur can play sg I don't know if his return will have much of a positive impact.

The 4-5 spot in this line-up have performed rather well this year, unless Okur can play sg I don't know if his return will have much of a positive impact.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic or simplistic, but (unless his outside shot has completely abandoned him) Okur spreads the floor and can pull bigs away from the paint, leaving more room for AJ and Manslap to operate.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic or simplistic, but (unless his outside shot has completely abandoned him) Okur spreads the floor and can pull bigs away from the paint, leaving more room for AJ and Manslap to operate.

I'm with you Bronco.
I think Okur will help our team in the long run.
I hope they bring him back slowly so he doesn't mess up the chemistry too much.

Well we have had a big rebounding issue this year. part of that problem is that a jefferson-millsap tandem is undersized. Okur is bigger than both and will help with our rebounding as long as he has his full strength back. Also his ability to spread the floor will open up things for us. Jefferson has been ok, but lets not pretend he has been fantastic for us.

Another big guy never hurts, does it?
Let's hope that Memo can find his shooting touch relatively soon. If he can help rebound and spread the floor, then he contributes in two areas that are desperately needed.

Our number one need, however, is for a consistent, athletic wing. I don't think there is any sound argument against this. If Memo can be used in a trade to bring this, then bub bye!

Another big guy never hurts, does it?
Let's hope that Memo can find his shooting touch relatively soon. If he can help rebound and spread the floor, then he contributes in two areas that are desperately needed.

Our number one need, however, is for a consistent, athletic wing. I don't think there is any sound argument against this. If Memo can be used in a trade to bring this, then bub bye!

What? you dont find the play of Miles consisitent :) I think this could very well be true, but dont expect a 10 million dollar guy in return. i am sure we would try to save some money as well.

I thought it would be cool if he came back on a home game and got a standing ovation.

Memo will certainly add more offense and rebounding. On the other hand, the second unit will probably lose some defensive intensity. However, his defensive flaws will be less visible as he would probably plays against second units mostly.

To this day it amazes me how some Jazz fans continue to undervalue Okur and what he brings to the table.

I would say his return is absolutely huge for Utah and what it means for bench production among other things, but that's really hard to say considering you've got a 7-footer who's over 30 years old coming off an achilles injury.

However, if we get anything close to Memo and what his "A" game used to be, IMO it elevates Utah to a completely higher tier when talking about whether they can contend or not.

Even though he's scheduled to come back soon, I think Jazz fans need to be patient once he returns (ya, right). It's going to be a work in progress and it will definitely be slow going. I think you'll get a better idea of what new Memo gives to the Jazz around April.