What's new

2014 College Football

Safetydan

Just noticed the crazy lack of thread on college football this week. Living in Korea, I rely on you guys for scathing and incisive general sports commentary and Im just not getting it. Utah slays fresno and BYU is currently up big in Texas. Have at it bitches.

Last edited by a moderator:
And how about those USC Trojans? They looked about as explosive on offense as the Raiders normally do, but they manned up and played Stanford style ball again and won. Always good to see a team winning against different styles. That's a sign that you're legit.

BYU's just beastly. Book that 13-0 right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UeQZUJ_PKA

Last edited:
True or false, a Utah fan took a dump on the concourse of Rice Chex Stadium yesterday? I've read that multiple places now including a Utah football forum. Classy:

https://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=1645215

Saw some first rate jackasses at the game today. Dudes passed out, vomiting in the stands, generally acting like colossal dickbags...I now I hear about people taking dumps in the concourse? I don't care if you want to have a good time before, during, and after the game, but when it directly starts to affect me and my family, then **** you. Stay home.

Last edited:
This just in...... taysom hill is very fast, strong, athletic, and electrifying to watch

Still not sure if he is a good enough passer to be an all time great though.
If he is a good enough passer then watch out world

This just in...... taysom hill is very fast, strong, athletic, and electrifying to watch

Still not sure if he is a good enough passer to be an all time great though.
If he is a good enough passer then watch out world

If he's anywhere near the 73% passer he is right now at the end of the year, that question is answered. He has been murder on short throws, which everybody was assuming was his weakness. I think the main difference is O-line play, but he's 20% higher this year already. That's crazy.

Utah has a legit shot at Michigan, but even if this team starts 3-0, I still have a hard time seeing 8 wins with that schedule.

BYU has the opposite problem. They very we'll could run the table but aside from Cougar fans, nobody in the nation is going to care. It reminds me of the '04 and '08 Utah teams. Your schedule will be held against you and sadly, BYU fans will probably never get the chance to see just how good their team really is.

They very we'll could run the table but aside from Cougar fans, nobody in the nation is going to care. It reminds me of the '04 and '08 Utah teams.

I disagree.

Lots of people (nationally) were taking about utah in 04 and 08. Those were fantastic years for the utes. Those seasons helped a ton in program recognition, recruiting, money, and probably led to utah getting into the pac 12.

If byu goes undefeated then alot of national media will be taking about them.... hill will probably be in the top 4 for heisman, the team will get into a big time new years day bowl against a top 10 team, and if hill and jamaal williams come back for thier sr years byu will start the next season with a very high ranking.

Going undefeated would be huge!.... just like it was for utah. 04 and 08 were awesome for ute fans (I was jealous as ****) and did a lot for the program..... now that there is a chance byu might have a season like that you act like those seasons were worthless.

Typical

BYU is already in the top 25 by week 2. That is national attention. That's all that matters. There's about 10 teams in college football that get abnormal attention without being good. Everyone else has to win. I don't know why anybody is concerned with not being those 10 teams. Boise State, Fresno State, any of those types of teams over the years got way more attention than anybody in the make believe power conferences that wasn't those 10 teams. And if Boise State sucks, they don't get much national attention. Just like everybody in so called power conference that isn't headed toward big games. We could list all the "power" teams that nobody gives a crap about. There's no difference on that front. The differences come in how interested the localized fan bases are when you're down.

I disagree.

Lots of people (nationally) were taking about utah in 04 and 08. Those were fantastic years for the utes. Those seasons helped a ton in program recognition, recruiting, money, and probably led to utah getting into the pac 12.

If byu goes undefeated then alot of national media will be taking about them.... hill will probably be in the top 4 for heisman, the team will get into a big time new years day bowl against a top 10 team, and if hill and jamaal williams come back for thier sr years byu will start the next season with a very high ranking.

Going undefeated would be huge!.... just like it was for utah. 04 and 08 were awesome for ute fans (I was jealous as ****) and did a lot for the program..... now that there is a chance byu might have a season like that you act like those seasons were worthless.

Typical

Let me clarify a few things because I think my post was taken wrong: I'm not coming out and saying BYU isn't that good after week 2. Should they run the table, obviously there's a chance for a nice bowl game and positive momentum heading in to next year if Hill returns. I was speaking solely about the possibility of BYU running the table this year and being left out of the 4 team playoff. Obviously, going undefeated is NEVER a bad thing, regardless of schedule strength. I have no idea how BYU's schedule looks next year but if it's stronger than this season, there's a great chance for them to build on this season and possibly do something special next year. If it's as weak as this season, you guys are gonna have a ton of detractors across the nation claiming that you had a nice 2 year run, but you didn't play anybody. Plus, with your current SOS, you guys can't have 1 single mistep. An off night against Boise or UCF and you guys are a one loss time playing in a lower bowl game.

The bottom line still hasn't changed: BYU has to find their way into a conference. As an independent, they either play a schedule that's so strong, any team would struggle to go undefeated, or they play one so soft, that there's a huge asterisk by their record. You're right about Utah. They did use those special seasons to propel themselves into a bigger conference. Will BYU be able to do the same?

I was speaking solely about the possibility of BYU running the table this year and being left out of the 4 team playoff.

I agree that with BYU's strength of schedule this year, they have no chance at getting in the 4 team playoff even if they are undefeated.

I have no idea how BYU's schedule looks next year but if it's stronger than this season, there's a great chance for them to build on this season and possibly do something special next year.

Looks pretty solid: https://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/indep/2015-byu-cougars-football-schedule.php

Nebraska, Boise State, UCLA, and Michigan to open the year. Gets a lot easier after that.

The bottom line still hasn't changed: BYU has to find their way into a conference.

If by "conference" you mean "big 5 conference" (which I think you do) I think most BYU fans would agree with you. But it's hard to see how BYU would be in any better shape if they had stayed in the Mountain West.

I think every BYU fan should be cheering for Tennessee this week. The best chance at a solid secure future is to have two SEC teams in the playoff, along with a PAC-12 team and Florida St.

The only thing that would cause the BIG 12 to blow up their current revenue sharing system is to be denied access to the 4 team playoff. Nothing else would even give them reason to consider expansion.

I agree that with BYU's strength of schedule this year, they have no chance at getting in the 4 team playoff even if they are undefeated.

Looks pretty solid: https://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/indep/2015-byu-cougars-football-schedule.php

Nebraska, Boise State, UCLA, and Michigan to open the year. Gets a lot easier after that.

If by "conference" you mean "big 5 conference" (which I think you do) I think most BYU fans would agree with you. But it's hard to see how BYU would be in any better shape if they had stayed in the Mountain West.

That schedule looks much more promising than this years. BYU fans should be stoked at the opportunity ahead.

And yes, I did mean a P5 conference. Obviously, playing a MWC schedule does very little to quiet the SOS talk. I've always maintained that the Big 12 is their best shot, however with what they've done to the Longhorns the past 2 years, Texas May do everything they can to keep them out!

I think every BYU fan should be cheering for Tennessee this week. The best chance at a solid secure future is to have two SEC teams in the playoff, along with a PAC-12 team and Florida St.

The only thing that would cause the BIG 12 to blow up their current revenue sharing system is to be denied access to the 4 team playoff. Nothing else would even give them reason to consider expansion.

I think any scenario where one of the P5 conferences is left out is a good one.....and that just happens to be guaranteed every single year. There is no way this doesn't go to at least 8 teams shortly. I don't think those other bowl games can possibly carry any semblance of the stature that they used to be as consolation prizes. With only 2 teams, your teams with beef radius was maybe 1 or 2 teams every year. Now you're going to have 10 teams that think they should have been in the playoff.

Let me clarify a few things because I think my post was taken wrong: I'm not coming out and saying BYU isn't that good after week 2. Should they run the table, obviously there's a chance for a nice bowl game and positive momentum heading in to next year if Hill returns. I was speaking solely about the possibility of BYU running the table this year and being left out of the 4 team playoff. Obviously, going undefeated is NEVER a bad thing, regardless of schedule strength. I have no idea how BYU's schedule looks next year but if it's stronger than this season, there's a great chance for them to build on this season and possibly do something special next year. If it's as weak as this season, you guys are gonna have a ton of detractors across the nation claiming that you had a nice 2 year run, but you didn't play anybody. Plus, with your current SOS, you guys can't have 1 single mistep. An off night against Boise or UCF and you guys are a one loss time playing in a lower bowl game.

The bottom line still hasn't changed: BYU has to find their way into a conference. As an independent, they either play a schedule that's so strong, any team would struggle to go undefeated, or they play one so soft, that there's a huge asterisk by their record. You're right about Utah. They did use those special seasons to propel themselves into a bigger conference. Will BYU be able to do the same?
Great post! Would rep if I could.

That schedule looks much more promising than this years. BYU fans should be stoked at the opportunity ahead.

And yes, I did mean a P5 conference. Obviously, playing a MWC schedule does very little to quiet the SOS talk. I've always maintained that the Big 12 is their best shot, however with what they've done to the Longhorns the past 2 years, Texas May do everything they can to keep them out!

All of this

I agree the best thing for BYU is the Big 12 being left out. And if that could happen 2 years in a row, or 2 out of 3, the Big 12 will be looking to expand in a hurry.