What's new

2017 Jazz vs. 2008 Jazz - Who Wins?

l Abach l

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think that the 2008 team (IMO that was the best of the DWill/Booz teams) beats the current team in a 7 game series... interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. That team was competitive in every one of those games against the soon to be champion Lakers, and fans back then had an honest hope of an upset.

If this question was asked right after the clippers game 7 everyone would say 2017.

"using your expiring assets to add depth to the squad rocks the boat too violently and may destroy our delicately balanced beamed cakk bakk" - me

That 2007-08 team was loaded.

Memo would force Rudy out of the paint. If matched up against boozer, boozer and millsap would utilize their quickness. Jerry could also go small and play ak at the 4.

Hayward vs AK at the 3 would be interesting. I think Hayward would score but it sure would be interesting to watch. Hayward doesn't have that blow away speed or that big bulky body that gave AK trouble

Deron would beat hill and destroy Neto. Deron would foul out Neto and Exum with his crafty plays. Deron in his prime could control a game, much like Chris Paul.

Iso joe and hood could do some damage against that weaker jazz bench. Harpring's knees were going out and dfish if memory serves played big mins at the 2.

That 07-08 team could score. It was an offensive machine. It's too bad AK could never really develop or that we couldn't ever get that last remaining piece.

If this question was asked right after the clippers game 7 everyone would say 2017.

"using your expiring assets to add depth to the squad rocks the boat too violently and may destroy our delicately balanced beamed cakk bakk" - me

The 2007 team could score. It could play fast or grind it out in the half court. That team was special. Had the jazz added just one more player to that core they could've won some rings. It took a Spurs team in its prime and a Kobe lakers team in its prime to beat us in that Deron era. We were clearly the 2nd best team in the west those years.

While, I think it's debatable right now that we're the 2nd best team in the west. Houston, San Antonio, and the clippers are still better. Had Blake not gone down we would've lost in 5 or 6

That 2007-08 team was loaded.

Memo would force Rudy out of the paint. If matched up against boozer, boozer and millsap would utilize their quickness. Jerry could also go small and play ak at the 4.

Hayward vs AK at the 3 would be interesting. I think Hayward would score but it sure would be interesting to watch. Hayward doesn't have that blow away speed or that big bulky body that gave AK trouble

Deron would beat hill and destroy Neto. Deron would foul out Neto and Exum with his crafty plays. Deron in his prime could control a game, much like Chris Paul.

Iso joe and hood could do some damage against that weaker jazz bench. Harpring's knees were going out and dfish if memory serves played big mins at the 2.

That 07-08 team could score. It was an offensive machine. It's too bad AK could never really develop or that we couldn't ever get that last remaining piece.

Gobert would shut Boozer and Millsap down.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Gobert would shut Boozer and Millsap down.

Lol

Based on what evidence?

Did we see how successful the pick and roll/pop was in the previous series? What do you think Deron would do with boozer, millsap, or memo literally every time down the court?

It's amazing how quickly fans forget things. That jazz team made it to the WFC and beat some pretty good teams to do it.

2008 team had awful defense, especially on the post. Boozer was the worst defender big man i have seen along with Kanter and Jefferson. Memo was smart but not athletic enough. Even Deron sucked in defense.
That team had so much offensive potential but sucked defensively. On a day 2017's offense stuck, they could easily win. I take 2017 Utah in game 6.

Lol

Based on what evidence?

Take a look at what someone like Lamar Odom would do to Boozer. Then remember that outside of Memo and Deron, nobody shoots from the perimeter. 2017 gets lots of points in the paint.

If Hill is healthy or at least at a playable level and Favors is healthy or at least at the level he was for the Clippers current Jazz win in 5. If they are hobbled then current Jazz win in 6 or 7.

I would love to watch Diaw back down and school boozer a few times. If it was Gobert and Favors that 08 Jazz team would have problems since length is what really bothered them in the playoffs. Hayward would have big games since AK was not that good of a man on man defender just a good help defender. Beyond AK there was no other help defender and some of the worse rim protection a team can have. Gobert in the pick and roll would be borderline unstoppable for that 08 squad.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

Lol

Based on what evidence?

Did we see how successful the pick and roll/pop was in the previous series? What do you think Deron would do with boozer, millsap, or memo literally every time down the court?

It's amazing how quickly fans forget things. That jazz team made it to the WFC and beat some pretty good teams to do it.

Beating the 8th seed Warriors in 5 games in the second round wasn't that impressive. It would have been the equivalent of beating Portland this year if they upset the Warriors. That Houston team we beat in 7 was similar to the Clippers team we beat this year in 7. We got super lucky that year and San Antonio beat us in 5 in the WCF even after Herculean efforts from D-Will and Boozer.

Take a look at what someone like Lamar Odom would do to Boozer. Then remember that outside of Memo and Deron, nobody shoots from the perimeter. 2017 gets lots of points in the paint.

Who's Lamar on our 2017 team? Diaw?

All this talk about boozers defense? All this talk about our post defense in 2007-08? Yeah, it sucked. But we (2017) don't have anyone who can score in the post. Gobert and Diaw aren't post scorers. Boozer was decent against unathletic players, like Diaw.

Last edited:
Beating the 8th seed Warriors in 5 games in the second round wasn't that impressive. It would have been the equivalent of beating Portland this year if they upset the Warriors. That Houston team we beat in 7 was similar to the Clippers team we beat this year in 7. We got super lucky that year and San Antonio destroyed us in the WCF.

Lol.

Did you really type that with a straight face?

That year the west was stacked. Seeding wasn't as important as just getting into the playoffs. That year the warriors beat down a Dirk led mavs team that had in the previous year been to the finals.

Prior to that, we beat arguably the best Yao Ming/T Mac Houston team. That jazz team was arguably the 2nd best best team in the west that year. Had they gotten past San Antonio, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them beat a Young Lebron led Cavs team.

I think many of you are too young to remember how good certain jazz teams were. That 97-99 team was stacked. Those were the best jazz teams I've seen. As were those 2007-10 teams. And you're right, had we not run into a Kobe-Lamar-Gasol monster, we probably would've won the west a few times.

2008 team had awful defense, especially on the post. Boozer was the worst defender big man i have seen along with Kanter and Jefferson. Memo was smart but not athletic enough. Even Deron sucked in defense.
That team had so much offensive potential but sucked defensively. On a day 2017's offense stuck, they could easily win. I take 2017 Utah in game 6.

Money Memo would force Gobert out on the perimeter.

Deron would pick and roll the hell out of Hill and Neto to get matchups he wanted.

If Gobert was matched up on boozer/Sap and diaw on money that would give the 2007 jazz some problems. But it would also lead to okur making plays as he was outstanding as a passer.

Who's Lamar on our team?

All this talk about boozers defense? All this talk about our post defense in 2007-08? Yeah, it sucked. But we don't have anyone who can score in the post. Gobert and Diaw aren't post scorers.

Silly question about "who's our Lamar?" Boozer could do nothing against his length.

As a better thought exercise, let's pretend 2008 you is here making this argument and is overshadowed by the circumstances you find yourself in (2008) -- which team does 2008 you believe would win and which team does 2008 you pull out all the hysterics for?

What a question id love to see it. If I had to choose, id go with hayward and gobert. Especially if jingles, hill, hood had good games. I was a big fan of boozer but this team plays some D

I would give a very slight edge to the 2007-2008 team. Once we made the mid-season trade for Korver we went something like a crazy 38-12 going into the playoffs. Also if you go off records technically that team would have the HCA and those teams were pretty much unbeatable at the ESA.

Also so many people forget how damn good Booze was for us. Remember the year prior against Yao? Played awesome despite being 10 inches shorter.

Silly question about "who's our Lamar?" Boozer could do nothing against his length.

As a better thought exercise, let's pretend 2008 you is here making this argument and is overshadowed by the circumstances you find yourself in (2008) -- which team does 2008 you believe would win and which team does 2008 you pull out all the hysterics for?

Who's length are you specifically talking about?

I'm trying to figure out why Lamar Odom is being discussed when we have zero players on this 2017 roster who even remotely resemble Lamar Odom.

Yes, the jazz, like most teams, struggled against Odom's length.

Ok

But what relevance does that have in today's discussion dealing with the 2017 jazz?