What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Durability is my biggest concern. I just think Dm and Conley is a bit undersized... I think have Royce, DM, Ingles on the perimeter has been part of the reason the defense has been so good lately. Conley is a good defender but still small.

I just don’t think we need a traditional pg next to Donovan and it isn’t the ideal setup... if he became available for expirings then by all means but I wouldn’t put a lot on the table to trade for him.
I think brogdon would be ideal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Fair enough, if he can figure it out then I like the size matchups way more with him at the 1. And then we don't need to find a Rubio replacement, we can just address any areas of need.

If we're going to live and die by Mitchell anyway then I understand the logic. But as a PG he can't let his big man not get his 20-20 game.

I agree that his interior passing needs to improve... I think he knows it and some of his "junk" shots are thrown up to try and give the bigs offensive rebounding opportunities. Rudy has still been eating, but the lobs haven't been there as much.

If a deal for Conley came up it would be hard to pass on him... as a player/person/teammate there is so much to like there. I'm guessing DL would do expirings and a first for him... I don't think it's crazy at all.

He would play more against the Rockets if Rubio didn’t get hurt too.

Hot take... I'm not worried about the Rockets at all. They might get us this year if CP is healthy, but they aren't a long term team I'm worried about.

I think we have figured them out a little and Ariza?Mbah a Moute were really important to their defense that caused us issues.

I like him... I just don't know how gettable he is because he is restricted.
I think the move this offseason is making the Bucks make tough decisions with our cap. Throw one offer at either Middleton/Bronson, and if they match/re-up on the first move, hit them again on the other.

(This basically means Rubio and Favors is gone but I truly don’t think that significantly negatively impacts the Jazz even though they are both good players)

Probably true for those 2 teams, but it went up to 33 mpg against the Thunder.
Very good point. Against the 1st round opponent types, he does have a little but more value.

However, guarding Melo and also scoring on Melo made that possible. I wonder if we would go with Crowder against Grant if we faced them in a series this year. We have to keep Grant from helping on Rudy.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think the move this offseason is making the Bucks make tough decisions with our cap. Throw one offer at either Middleton/Bronson, and if they match/re-up on the first move, hit them again on the other.

(This basically means Rubio and Favors is gone but I truly don’t think that significantly negatively impacts the Jazz even though they are both good players)

Problem is they can go max on both with no serious LT issues. In the meantime other FAs are signing and then we end up in kick the can down the road mode.

I like both guys and we certainly will have a convo with Middleton unless we make a deal that uses our space... but I wouldn't put all the eggs in that particular basket. They have to keep Giannis so if that means overpaying to retain talent they will do it.

He would play more against the Rockets if Rubio didn’t get hurt too.
I disagree. Favors has almost zero advantages over PJ Tucker who is a scrappy lil sob who would torture Gobert if we didn't spread him out of the lane. Plus, a switch of Favors on Harden seems like a nightmare. Gobert has a tough enough matchup as it is.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

One thing that keeps getting mentioned with regard to the Mavs... they are rumored to want to move Wes Matthews. Expiring contract and good vet... not sure why they want to move him but he was mentioned in the DSJ rumors again yesterday.

I know they love Luka and he's the pg... wonder if they'd do a straight Ricky for Wes swap (if we commit to DM at pg). Not the defender he used to be but he shoots the **** out of the ball still. Could waive his caphold this offseason and sign him using part of MLE or BAE (if we use cap space). So it might be for an expiring that sticks around long term.

I have an irrational love for Wes so I can't evaluate the idea fairly.

I just wanna add that I feel strongly that Brook Lopez is the second most important player on that Bucks team and they need to try like hell to keep him. He and Giannis’s strengths/weaknesses complement each other perfectly.

So maybe that becomes a factor.

One thing that keeps getting mentioned with regard to the Mavs... they are rumored to want to move Wes Matthews. Expiring contract and good vet... not sure why they want to move him but he was mentioned in the DSJ rumors again yesterday.

I know they love Luka and he's the pg... wonder if they'd do a straight Ricky for Wes swap (if we commit to DM at pg). Not the defender he used to be but he shoots the **** out of the ball still. Could waive his caphold this offseason and sign him using part of MLE or BAE (if we use cap space). So it might be for an expiring that sticks around long term.

I have an irrational love for Wes so I can't evaluate the idea fairly.
I think DL and Quin's loyalty to guys like Rubio and Favors will cover quite a large talent gap, so I would be really surprised if they did something like that. However, if we did, then I'd watch for them to be signing Millsap and Carroll to complete the "KOC's that got away" club.

I just wanna add that I feel strongly that Brook Lopez is the second most important player on that Bucks team and they need to try like hell to keep him. He and Giannis’s strengths/weaknesses complement each other perfectly.

I wonder what Lopez would look like in Favors' role.

Wondered that since last offseason when he got signed for nothing. And we’ve been left to figure out why Tony Bradley has a roster spot.
Should have told the FO "Hey, there's this set of twins out of Stanford that are bigs" and we could have channeled some of that Collins-keeping irrationality.

I need someone to explain how they do it but I don’t think they can sign him using bird rights. They might have to drop below the cap to sign him then handle their other business.

I think because they used an exception to sign him they can only offer like 6M or something... I could be wrong about this... it’s complex.

I need someone to explain how they do it but I don’t think they can sign him using bird rights. They might have to drop below the cap to sign him then handle their other business.

I think because they used an exception to sign him they can only offer like 6M or something... I could be wrong about this... it’s complex.
They have to drop below the cap. Without looking, they could renounce Middleton’s cap hold and probably get there as long as they haven’t already re-signed Brogdon. I don’t understand how they could have three max players and stay under the tax, but still be over the cap if two of those players aren’t yet maxed.

I am shooting from the hip. But I know they have to keep Lopez. They are not getting that level of size, shooting, rim protection, IQ, and general offensive skillset anywhere else. And his anemic rebounding is fine next to Giannis.

However, in that circumstance, Middleton and Brogdon become vulnerable. But if I’m them, I think long and hard about taking that risk.

They have to drop below the cap. Without looking, they could renounce Middleton’s cap hold and probably get there as long as they haven’t already re-signed Brogdon. I don’t understand how they could have three max players and stay under the tax, but still be over the cap if two of those players aren’t yet maxed.

I am shooting from the hip. But I know they have to keep Lopez. They are not getting that level of size, shooting, rim protection, IQ, and general offensive skillset anywhere else. And his anemic rebounding is fine next to Giannis.

However, in that circumstance, Middleton and Brogdon become vulnerable. But if I’m them, I think long and hard about taking that risk.

They can do it... they have to keep Middleton's caphold on the books though. They would renounce Bledsoe's cap hold. If Malcolm accepted an offer while they were sorting things out it could make it tough... but his low caphold makes it possible.

Would anyone want Dennis Smith Jr. on the team? I love that he is from the same class as DM, that he is young, that he is explosive, and that he and DM seem to have a strong/competitive relationship. What would it take to get him do you think? And would he be a good fit? What would Dallas want for him?

Grayson Allen has shown some improvement lately and is a stretch player who plays defense. Is that just a pipe dream one for one swap?