What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I think the move this offseason is making the Bucks make tough decisions with our cap. Throw one offer at either Middleton/Bronson, and if they match/re-up on the first move, hit them again on the other.

(This basically means Rubio and Favors is gone but I truly don’t think that significantly negatively impacts the Jazz even though they are both good players)

The problem is that you have to renounce Favors and Ricky BEFORE you throw these offers. If we lose out on each of the Buck players then we are out of them plus Ricky and Favors. We would then be in serious scramble mode.

The problem is that you have to renounce Favors and Ricky BEFORE you throw these offers. If we lose out on each of the Buck players then we are out of them plus Ricky and Favors. We would then be in serious scramble mode.
I know that. I guess you skipped the part where I said I really don’t believe they’re really very necessary for this team.

Players that will be on the Jazz next year:

DM, Exum, Neto
Royce, Allen
Ingles, Korver
Crowder,
Gobert, Bradley (we might see if he can play???)

+ whoever they get in the draft and free agency.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm not worried about Rubio and Favors (especially since you can play Royce and Ingles at the 4).

Players that will be on the Jazz next year:

DM, Exum, Neto
Royce, Allen
Ingles, Korver
Crowder,
Gobert, Bradley (we might see if he can play???)

+ whoever they get in the draft and free agency.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm not worried about Rubio and Favors (especially since you can play Royce and Ingles at the 4).

Favs worries me a bit... his defense with and without Rudy this year has been pretty friggin great. He’s so consistent.

I think Udoh can anchor the second unit defense but the bench scoring will get even worse.

Would anyone want Dennis Smith Jr. on the team? I love that he is from the same class as DM, that he is young, that he is explosive, and that he and DM seem to have a strong/competitive relationship. What would it take to get him do you think? And would he be a good fit? What would Dallas want for him?

Grayson Allen has shown some improvement lately and is a stretch player who plays defense. Is that just a pipe dream one for one swap?

so you want to trade grayson for a smaller, worse shooting, score first low IQ PG to pair with donovan?

this isn't true for unrestricted FAs... we can make the offer and they can verbal accept and we can then renounce Ricky and waive Favs. Favs has a late guarantee date just for this purpose.

for restricted FAs you'd need to submit the offer paperwork and would be more limited on cap shenanigans.

So I'm researching this whole Tobias Harris situation. I came across this article which is a good read. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cl...iffin-trade-detroit-pistons-tobias-harris-nba

I left with a couple points:

- if the Clippers miss the playoffs, they actually keep their pick. They started well, but struggled since.

- this quote stuck out to me - "The real loss comes if they accept non-Blake mediocrity: paying Tobias a few million less than they would have paid Blake to keep a non-contending roster together."

If the Clippers renounce Harris, they can give 2 max deals. Ideally for them, it starts with Kawhi. After that, it can be Butler, KD, Cousins, whoever. Regardless, nobody talks about Tobias as some "guy I want to go play with." Honestly, I rarely hear anything at all about him.

If the Clippers were to trade Harris, not only could they get something instead of losing him for nothing, but they also likely lose enough to miss the playoffs and keep their own pick.

We need to root like hell for Clipper opponents the next couple weeks. And then we need to try to trade for Harris at the deadline. Favors and a 1st is pretty damn good for a guy who could just walk this summer.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

So I'm researching this whole Tobias Harris situation. I came across this article which is a good read. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cl...iffin-trade-detroit-pistons-tobias-harris-nba

- if the Clippers miss the playoffs, they actually keep their pick. They started well, but struggled since.

- this quote stuck out to me - "The real loss comes if they accept non-Blake mediocrity: paying Tobias a few million less than they would have paid Blake to keep a non-contending roster together."

If the Clippers renounce Harris, they can give 2 max deals. Ideally for them, it starts with Kawhi. After that, it can be Butler, KD, Cousins, whoever. Regardless, nobody talks about Tobias as some "guy I want to go play with." Honestly, I rarely hear anything at all about him.

If the Clippers were to trade Harris, not only could they get something instead of losing him for nothing, but they also likely lose enough to miss the playoffs and keep their own pick.

We need to root like hell for Clipper opponents the next couple weeks. And then we need to try to trade for Harris at the deadline. Favors and a 1st is pretty damn good for a guy who could just walk this summer.

If the shine is off from their hot start I could see this happening. Their own pick may not factor too strongly as it is lotto protected this year and next and they likely don't plan on missing two years in a row.

If they think a playoff push helps their chance with the super duper stars they may not want to fold up shop. The super duper stars may not care as much if they are bringing their buddies anyway... delicate dance for the Clips.

Well, you'd still have a max offer slot available. Bricky would re-sign for about the same (who's going to pay him more?). Favors would be gone, but you'd go to Plan B and sign a lesser FA. I don't see Lindsey taking that big of a gamble, though.

If the shine is off from their hot start I could see this happening. Their own pick may not factor too strongly as it is lotto protected this year and next and they likely don't plan on missing two years in a row.

If they think a playoff push helps their chance with the super duper stars they may not want to fold up shop. The super duper stars may not care as much if they are bringing their buddies anyway... delicate dance for the Clips.

Its a long shot, but very interesting. Butler already mentioned the Clippers as a team that interests him. Kawhi has talked about heading home to LA. The Clippers are sending messages that they want to lure big free agents. They already low balled Harris on a contract extension.

I think a playoff appearance might help them, but it's no guarantee. Getting blown out in the playoffs or barely missing? Might be a wash. A first rounder definitely helps them or at least gives them another asset to use in this big transition summer.

Harris being an unrestricted free agent is very scary for the Clippers. Trading him could send a loud message to guys like Kawhi and Butler encouraging them to come on board this summer. And trading him actually gets them something for the guy.

Hypothetically, if you traded Ricky for Hardaway and renounced everyone else, how much would the Jazz have to spend in free agency?

I think the three California teams are going to be competing for the 8th seed. Any of them could get it. Warriors, Nuggets, Jazz, Blazers, Rockets, Spurs and Thunder should all be in the playoffs.

Its a long shot, but very interesting. Butler already mentioned the Clippers as a team that interests him. Kawhi has talked about heading home to LA. The Clippers are sending messages that they want to lure big free agents. They already low balled Harris on a contract extension.

I think a playoff appearance might help them, but it's no guarantee. Getting blown out in the playoffs or barely missing? Might be a wash. A first rounder definitely helps them or at least gives them another asset to use in this big transition summer.

Harris being an unrestricted free agent is very scary for the Clippers. Trading him could send a loud message to guys like Kawhi and Butler encouraging them to come on board this summer. And trading him actually gets them something for the guy.

Just a clarification... they didn't lowball him... they were restricted on how much they could offer. They offered the max that the CBA allowed them too.

What about TJ Warren as a possible stretch 4 target? I've seen his name come up recently in trade talks for the Suns. He's averaged over 18 PPG the last two seasons on close to 50% shooting and this year he's shooting a career high 43% from 3. He's played a lot as a small forward but this year he's played almost all of his minutes at power forward. I was recently reading a Salt City Hoops article that listed him as a possible trade target for the Jazz and they had us sending Thabo and Grayson for him but I'm not sure that's enough to get a deal done.

Hypothetically, if you traded Ricky for Hardaway and renounced everyone else, how much would the Jazz have to spend in free agency?
12-13M

His play has really fallen off... I think he has plantar injury he is playing through. I think they'd have to pony up a decent asset to move him now... problem is they won't put good picks on the table until they know they are getting one of the big FAs.

12-13M

His play has really fallen off... I think he has plantar injury he is playing through. I think they'd have to pony up a decent asset to move him now... problem is they won't put good picks on the table until they know they are getting one of the big FAs.

NYK can't wait to be rid of him.

Edit: Talking about their fan base.

What about TJ Warren as a possible stretch 4 target? I've seen his name come up recently in trade talks for the Suns. He's averaged over 18 PPG the last two seasons on close to 50% shooting and this year he's shooting a career high 43% from 3. He's played a lot as a small forward but this year he's played almost all of his minutes at power forward. I was recently reading a Salt City Hoops article that listed him as a possible trade target for the Jazz and they had us sending Thabo and Grayson for him but I'm not sure that's enough to get a deal done.

I like him, but I'm not sure his 3p shooting is real and he might be a good scorer on bad team type. I'm not sure why they would trade him and I'm not sure his defense is passable. Dude does get buckets but I think it may be empty calories. Tough to evaluate guys that have never been on a non-garbage team.

Just a clarification... they didn't lowball him... they were restricted on how much they could offer. They offered the max that the CBA allowed them too.
Good point about how much they could offer, but then again, if they knew he was worth more and they were willing to pay more later, why waste his time with a potentially insulting number? Why get to the point where they had to stop contract negotiations?

Probably an irrelevant point...

I'm out on Hardaway until his contract is done. He has 6th MOTY ceiling to me with his streaky and inconsistent shooting, wouldn't want to pay him starters money.

I'd be shocked if TJ Warren was really available and if he was Thabo and Grayson wouldn't be enough. Exum would likely be the guy you'd have to part with to grab Warren and iirc I don't think Igor thought highly of Exum in his time here.