What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

You guys haven’t watched many other teams if you think Rubio and Crowder are bad defensively.

Being an plus defender most of the time comes down to effort and basketball IQ (right place right time).

Look at Korver, he gets destroyed 1v1 but as a team defender he isn’t all that bad since he is active, knows how and when to help and where he needs to be.

I think Crowder is good, but not as good as he used to be... Some over-rate him... I would not say he is bad though.

I think we can throw a bad defender into a lineup and cover it up with our team full of good defenders..... in fact i have seen us do it before. We have had bad defenders on this team and looked great. You yourself have been bashing ricky defense a lot. We have looked elite defensively, number one in the league in fact, with that poor defender starting and playing big minutes because we have a ******** of good defenders. You can totally add a great offensive player who sucks on defense to a team that desperately needs offense and is full of great defenders and be successful. Im certain of it.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
You can be successful. My question is not whether we can be successful. It's whether it improves us and if so how much does it. Are we 35 million better? Are there better options?

I think there are better options and he isn't worth that much. I would rather find a player that fits our system better and isn't a liability on one end that we have to try and cover.

I'm all for trading Dante and derrick. But I want to see them on the same team!!!! Starting together
Wiz get Favors, Exum and Thabo
Heat get Mahinmi
Jazz get Porter and Olynyk

Keep Rubio this season and summer. Olynyk becomes our primary backup C who can shoot the 3. We keep our 1st.

Wiz get to dump Mahinmi. Heat get to dump Olynyk's 3rd year when they want to go spending in 2020.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Wonder if we could do Favors and Bradley for Porter? Or add a 1st in too...I’d highly prefer that to Exum.

Doubt it but I’d love to retain Exum and Sef and dump James Collins.

Last edited:
Heat get Mahinmi

Keep Rubio this season and summer. Olynyk becomes our primary backup C who can shoot the 3. We keep our 1st.

Wiz get to dump Mahinmi. Heat get to dump Olynyk's 3rd year when they want to go spending in 2020.

Not wizards. A team where Dante and derrick can both start

Heat get Mahinmi

How about trade Dante and derrick to Orlando for Nikola and DJ Augustine. Thats the trade. I like that team for Dante and Derrick

Niko out for NO tonight... will be re-evaluated in a few days... they are so screwed.

You guys haven’t watched many other teams if you think Rubio and Crowder are bad defensively.

Being an plus defender most of the time comes down to effort and basketball IQ (right place right time).

Look at Korver, he gets destroyed 1v1 but as a team defender he isn’t all that bad since he is active, knows how and when to help and where he needs to be.

Exactly.
Harris would just have to have effort. Thats all it takes on defense and the jazz culture is built on defense. He would be just fine and fit like a glove.

Last edited:
Dennis Lindsey will not make any sort of big deal this year. Guaranteed. Mark it down.

We have a GM who by nature doesn’t like to take risks and is reactive instead of pro active.

You can be successful. My question is not whether we can be successful. It's whether it improves us and if so how much does it. Are we 35 million better? Are there better options?

I think there are better options and he isn't worth that much. I would rather find a player that fits our system better and isn't a liability on one end that we have to try and cover.

I think you are the only who thinks he is a liability on defense and doesnt fit our system.

I think he fits perfectly and our defense would continue to be elite.

Exactly.
Harris would just have to have effort. Thats all it takes on defense and the jazz culture is built on defense. He would be just fine and fit loke a glove.

I guess thats the difference I see. He does not put in effort and has not over his career consistently. He takes plays off on defense and doesnt rotate when he should. If you expect that will change when he is on our team thats fine and I could see why people would want him. But you can claim that about any player in the NBA, so we might as well ignore defense when evaluating players for trades then.

He also has only been in the playoffs once in his career. His last two teams were worse after getting him. Last year the Clippers had a worse record after trading for him. Two years before Pistons had a playoff team and then missed the playoffs when they had him for longer. Maybe it was because of other things. But its still concerning. Its also concerning that I am now looking at the last 4 years his teams have been better with him off the court.

But it would be really nice to have as playmaking and shooting 4 like him on the Jazz. Im just concerned about whether it improves us much. 35 million a year for 4 years is a lot to commit to that big of a risk. Also depends on what we give up to get him. Its also a risk that he re-signs with us. I guess I would consider the risk if the trade was just for expiring contracts. I just think we could go after other guys who are better. But it might be worth the risk if there arent other decent options.

But why are the Clippers trading him?

Like I said, I really doubt their ability to attract super-stars. I'm sure they also doubt it themselves since it's literally never happened. Harris is good insurance. I'm sure they also want to make the playoffs as well, and having him there is kind of necessary for that to happen.

If they traded him it could be because they don't believe that he's staying. Remember, he gave them strong reason to believe that is a possibility when he turned down their large extension offer last summer.

Another reason could be that the Clippers are a team in roster flux. They simply may not want to pay Harris what another team may be willing to pay him. Maybe they don't believe paying him a lot is the way to build a champion.

I'm not saying that they will trade him. Just that I think that it is still possible

I guess thats the difference I see. He does not put in effort and has not over his career consistently. He takes plays off on defense and doesnt rotate when he should. If you expect that will change when he is on our team thats fine and I could see why people would want him. But you can claim that about any player in the NBA, so we might as well ignore defense when evaluating players for trades then.

I mean we have seen it happen. Players that come to the jazz typically play better defense than they did before getting here. Players that leave typically play worse defense on their new team. And it makes sense. Quin and Rudy are the leaders of this team and drive the culture. You want playing time? You gonna play defense then.

I would still like to see a trade for Lou Williams. Yeah, I know his defense is bad. But he can create his own shot and he can score. We need both of those things. Plus he's cheap. And isn't Quin a big fan of him? I think he'd fit in really well here.

Not sure what the potential trade would look like though.

I think you are the only who thinks he is a liability on defense and doesnt fit our system.

I think he fits perfectly and our defense would continue to be elite.

Thats fine if its just me on this board. That doesnt change my opinion and what I see on the court. I also see what their fans post about him and many agree with me on his defense who watch him every night. Many of them feel his lateral quickness and being undersized will never allow him to be a decent defender. They also dont like when he gets switched onto guards because he gets abused there and isnt very versatile. That is a concern for the Jazz since we switch a lot. Its just some observations I have seen and some stats that back that up, along with their fans message boards. I am definitely not an expert on him. I dont watch that much Clipper basketball.

But I think you are taking me too far. I dont dislike him, I think he would bring a lot of positives. I just am concerned about his fit at max money. If he was making 20 million a year I think I would be very interested.

I mean we have seen it happen. Players that come to the jazz typically play better defense than they did before getting here. Players that leave typically play worse defense on their new team. And it makes sense. Quin and Rudy are the leaders of this team and drive the culture. You want playing time? You gonna play defense then.

True, but we also dont trade for players that are not good on defense. We also trade away players that arent good on defense. Again my main concern is whether he is worth a max deal. He would be our highest paid player. Probably for awhile. Mitchell's max will be a lesser one.

I think there is plenty of concerns about him as a max player. I also think there might be better options. But that is just a guess. Who knows who is actually available and for how much.

I also really like our roster as is. Favors is playing incredibly well this year and making a big difference when he is on the court. If we trade for Harris Favors or Rubio has to be traded. Im on record for leaning towards trading Rubio, but he also turns it on in the second half. Favors has been big for us the last 2 years in the playoffs and he has been hobbled pretty bad those years. Full Strength I think he will be a huge help.