What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

playmaking zilch he's a very decent shooter but his understanding of the subtleties is zero

Yep, and overall too much hero ball. He's been assisted only on 55% of his 3s, which tells you he's been chucking. How much you want to blame the Bulls lack of talent and coaching problems is up for debate.
I do think on Utah he could probably return to about 38% on his 3s.

Everyone wants to put what being a good player is into a nutshell based around defensive prowess. Offense is valued as well. It is ok to have a balance. Some players are more offensively inept than others and some play better D. You can’t say one player is better than the other just because that player doesn’t fit into your bill of the ideal player.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

True. But there’s limits to what should be tolerated in bad play on one side of the ball.

Plenty of examples of this. Such as Kanter.

I’m down with bringing in a more offensive mindide player that lacks defense. To a point. There’s a tipping point. Finding the balance, as you say is the trick.

Yep, and overall too much hero ball. He's been assisted only on 55% of his 3s, which tells you he's been chucking. How much you want to blame the Bulls lack of talent and coaching problems is up for debate.
I do think on Utah he could probably return to about 38% on his 3s.

Lavine was balling before Boylen took over. He was top 5 scorer in the league for a while.

I wouldn't want Lavine, just don't think think he's a great fit. Out of all the players Chicago is offering, I think Jabari Parker would be the best fit. A stretch 4 is exactly what the Jazz need instead of two centers, which is basically what we have now. Not that Favors and Gobert don't play well together, I just think that to take the next step, Favors would have to agree to play as a backup 5 which won't happen. Having a center like Gobert who absolutely controls the paint on both ends, opening up the floor with a stretch 4 would work better for him as well as Donovan. It would open up the lane for drives and Mitchell would have more passing options on the perimeter since he's an elite penetrator.

The downsides of Parker is that he's injury prone and his contract but besides him, I don't really like many players Chicago is offering. If they change their mind and decide to offer up Lauri though, I'm all about snatching him up.

I wouldn't want Lavine, just don't think think he's a great fit. Out of all the players Chicago is offering, I think Jabari Parker would be the best fit. A stretch 4 is exactly what the Jazz need instead of two centers, which is basically what we have now. Not that Favors and Gobert don't play well together, I just think that to take the next step, Favors would have to agree to play as a backup 5 which won't happen. Having a center like Gobert who absolutely controls the paint on both ends, opening up the floor with a stretch 4 would work better for him as well as Donovan. It would open up the lane for drives and Mitchell would have more passing options on the perimeter since he's an elite penetrator.

The downsides of Parker is that he's injury prone and his contract but besides him, I don't really like many players Chicago is offering. If they change their mind and decide to offer up Lauri though, I'm all about snatching him up.

Why do you think he's a stretch 4 when he's only hitting 32.5% on threes? And 34% career? If I'm taking on a horrific defender, I at least better make sure he can hit near 40%.

You know when we go through those painful scoring droughts and can’t buy a bucket? Well if we trade with Cleveland, he’ll give us the will to survive because when we’re hungry, Love will keep us alive.

That's a helluva reference that not too many would recognize. You get a rep in my book!

Lavine was balling before Boylen took over. He was top 5 scorer in the league for a while.

Why do you think he's a stretch 4 when he's only hitting 32.5% on threes? And 34% career? If I'm taking on a horrific defender, I at least better make sure he can hit near 40%.

He may not have a great career 3p% but he commands respect when he has the ball on the perimeter which changes the way a defense plays. I also think his 3p% would improve having better players around him. He is forced to create his own shot this year because of lack of talent and that has lowered his %. He shot a respectable 36% in 2016-17 and he would get a lot more open shots in Utah. Also, he's only 23 years old so there is tons of room for growth.

Last edited: