What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I'm still waiting for the day we trade the Tomic draft rights... whatever we get in that trade... will tip the scales in our favor.

MCW traded to Chicago because his contract was going to be guaranteed at 5 pm. Houston sent cash. They reportedly did it to avoid salary tax issues. They're getting a heavily protected second rounder that is unlikely to convey. Chicago is waiving MCW. Somebody explain this move to me. Why didn't Houston just waive him? Why are they sending money for a pick that won't convey?

MCW traded to Chicago because his contract was going to be guaranteed at 5 pm. Houston sent cash. They reportedly did it to avoid salary tax issues. They're getting a heavily protected second rounder that is unlikely to convey. Chicago is waiving MCW. Somebody explain this move to me. Why didn't Houston just waive him? Why are they sending money for a pick that won't convey?
My guess is the deal was either fully-guaranteed or partially guaranteed enough to put them over the luxury?

There's obviously a reason both teams did this, I'm mostly not sure why Chicago did it.

My guess is the deal was either fully-guaranteed or partially guaranteed enough to put them over the luxury?

There's obviously a reason both teams did this, I'm mostly not sure why Chicago did it.

This was for luxury savings for Houston. So MCW's contract was $1.5 million. Houston sent MCW and probably around $2 million to Chicago for a 2nd rounder which is protected probably 55-60.

So pretty much, Chicago made $500,000 to save Houston $2 million. The pick will never be conveyed from Chicago to Houston because Chicago won't be one of the top 5 teams in the league this year.

Chicago makes money because they only pay MCW like $400k and had cap space or a trade exception to do it. They send a fake pick that won't convey and get more than 400k for their trouble... my guess is Houston paid them like a 800K $1m and so they made some dough... Houston does it to save on luxury tax... every dollar they send out saves them 2.5 or 3 dollars. So paying a team $750-$1M saves the owner a few hundred thousand in tax... they likely do something similar with Melo or waive him tomorrow.

This was for luxury savings for Houston. So MCW's contract was $1.5 million. Houston sent MCW and probably around $2 million to Chicago for a 2nd rounder which is protected probably 55-60.

So pretty much, Chicago made $500,000 to save Houston $2 million. The pick will never be conveyed from Chicago to Houston because Chicago won't be one of the top 5 teams in the league this year.

The dollars are less than this from Chicago's standpoint because it is pro-rated and the league covers a portion of minimum deals... I read somewhere that Chicago only pays like $375k for MCW for the rest of the year.

The dollars are less than this from Chicago's standpoint because it is pro-rated and the league covers a portion of minimum deals... I read somewhere that Chicago only pays like $375k for MCW for the rest of the year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...er-williams-chicago-bulls-salary-cap-maneuver

I was close. So Houston saves $2.6 in luxury and has already paid for most of MCW's contract. So really, Houston saves a lot of money and they paid Chicago less than that but probably a good bit in order to help them save the money.

Someone mentioned Chandler Parsons could be a signing option for Houston, which may actually be a decent fit.

Someone mentioned Chandler Parsons could be a signing option for Houston, which may actually be a decent fit.

I could see that. Memphis has to make a decision on him though. I don't think they have released him. There are some people who think they might hold onto him just in case his large expiring contract next year can help them. If it can't, they can waive and stretch him.

The Jazz have played really well in the second half of their games for the most part. I hope we can play the way we did in the second half against Detroit the whole game against the Bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I could see that. Memphis has to make a decision on him though. I don't think they have released him. There are some people who think they might hold onto him just in case his large expiring contract next year can help them. If it can't, they can waive and stretch him.

Unless he agrees on a buyout and leaves significant money on the table they won't waive him for the very reason you stated. i could see a swap of bad money deals (Biyombo, Mozgov, Knight) but Grizz really mismanaged this badly. Only way his value increases from complete rock bottom is by him playing... if he says he can play then play him... if he gets hurt then he get hurt. Someone mentioned his contract may not be insured. The insurance company that works with the NBA gets to pick like 10-12 contracts each year to not insure... but if he is cleared I don't think they get insurance money anyway. Weird deal.

Unless he agrees on a buyout and leaves significant money on the table they won't waive him for the very reason you stated. i could see a swap of bad money deals (Biyombo, Mozgov, Knight) but Grizz really mismanaged this badly. Only way his value increases from complete rock bottom is by him playing... if he says he can play then play him... if he gets hurt then he get hurt. Someone mentioned his contract may not be insured. The insurance company that works with the NBA gets to pick like 10-12 contracts each year to not insure... but if he is cleared I don't think they get insurance money anyway. Weird deal.

Based off everything I've read, they are stuck with the contract. Insurance can't take over. I highly doubt Parsons walks away from much if any money.

So if I'm Memphis, I try to trade him but you're only going to be able to trade him if you get almost identical 2019-20 salary back. No team is going to take his contract without sending an asset.

His contract is so bad, but I was really interested in eating his contract if we could have gotten that #4 pick from Memphis.

Based off everything I've read, they are stuck with the contract. Insurance can't take over. I highly doubt Parsons walks away from much if any money.

So if I'm Memphis, I try to trade him but you're only going to be able to trade him if you get almost identical 2019-20 salary back. No team is going to take his contract without sending an asset.

His contract is so bad, but I was really interested in eating his contract if we could have gotten that #4 pick from Memphis.

I agree... That's why you just play him imo. If he played okayish and was able to stay healthy someone could talk themselves into a bad salary swap where Memphis gets maybe a lesser bad deal for him... orlando for like Mozgov and Simmons... but not playing him does nothing good for anyone.

MCW may just be the biggest bust to somehow win a ROY ever.

Another great example of how NBA awards are overrated.

For crying out loud, Michael Jordan won the Defensive Player of the Year yet Phil Jackson said MJ wasn't even the best defender on his own team. Pippen never won a DPOY Award. Just like Jerry Sloan never won a Coach of the Year.

I agree... That's why you just play him imo. If he played okayish and was able to stay healthy someone could talk themselves into a bad salary swap where Memphis gets maybe a lesser bad deal for him... orlando for like Mozgov and Simmons... but not playing him does nothing good for anyone.

I think Charlotte should trade Biyombo and Marvin Williams for Parsons and Casspi. Memphis gets the better players but has to pay the luxury tax this year. Charlotte saves $7 million for next year and who knows, if Parsons can play, he might actually help Kemba some by stretching the floor. Regardless, Memphis is desperate to win now because they don't have a draft pick but they have an old roster.