What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Hey, Fav can play with Gobert. 14 mins at PF and 16 mins at C.
The problem is Rubio who is usually left open on the perimeter. Replace Rubio with '16 George Hill and you suddenly see Fav - Gobert is a deadly duo with no spacing issues . I also think Fav's 3P shooting form is great and his release is getting quicker, and he'll start shooting it consistently well not long after.
No to favors shooting threes. He shoots as many airballs as he does makes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Against a GS team starting Cousins and Green, and probably finishing with them, you think going with a smaller PF is the better call?
Green can be guarded by just about anyone.

No to favors shooting threes. He shoots as many airballs as he does makes
It takes time with bigs. Look how far Brook Lopez has gone.

Everybody is 100% healthy and Favors is still only playing 23 minutes per game. That number goes down against a Houston or GS in the playoffs.
Teams find it easy to defend 3 non-shooters. Make it 2 and things change dramatically.

Little off the path, but what about going after JaMychal Green? He’s having a nice year, good defender, and shooting 39% from three. He’s in the last year of his contract. I’ve always liked Green. I personally don’t know how Memphis values him, but they have Gasol and Jackson Jr. ahead of him. I’d probably rather sign him as a free agent rather than give assets for him, he’d be someone to target if the jazz strike out on the bigger names.

Thoughts?

I’m not a fan of conleys deal... wouldn’t give up the first there.
After I posted that I figured the responses would be the Conley is worth way more than that.

And if he’s on the trade market I can’t imagine another team not making a better offer. If it really only took Rubio and our first I’d be all over it. Conley is the perfect kind of PG I want next to Mitchell, and that contract only has a few more years on it.

When I think of Tobias Harris I picture Jabari Parker? Am I way off on this?
For the record I say hell no to Jabari.

Sent from my SM-G960U using JazzFanz mobile app

Yes you are way off... They are both light skinned African American males who play basketball though.

For reals doe... Harris is a good shooter, efficient scorer, hard worker who has improved every year, great teammate, he's been really durable... not a great defender, but he tries which is more than can be said for Jabari at this point.

Teams find it easy to defend 3 non-shooters. Make it 2 and things change dramatically.

I love Favs, but Brook was an 80% ft shooter before this crazy jump in 3p rate and percentage... Favs is not. He might get better at shooting threes... but I doubt he ever shoots over 30% from 3 on around 2-3 attempts per game.

Little off the path, but what about going after JaMychal Green? He’s having a nice year, good defender, and shooting 39% from three. He’s in the last year of his contract. I’ve always liked Green. I personally don’t know how Memphis values him, but they have Gasol and Jackson Jr. ahead of him. I’d probably rather sign him as a free agent rather than give assets for him, he’d be someone to target if the jazz strike out on the bigger names.

Thoughts?

I like him... could replace Favs... I think he could be had for the BAE or another cap exception once we've used our cap space.

After I posted that I figured the responses would be the Conley is worth way more than that.

And if he’s on the trade market I can’t imagine another team not making a better offer. If it really only took Rubio and our first I’d be all over it. Conley is the perfect kind of PG I want next to Mitchell, and that contract only has a few more years on it.

If I thought we needed a pg next to DM I'd probably be fine with it. I think DM is the pg. Ingles/Exum and maybe in the future Grayson are going to be all the playmaking we need next to him. I think we could get a better upgrade at SF or SG (joe plays whatever position we need him to) for our money/assets.

You may be right... if they made him available they might get more than I'd offer. NO for instance could use him and could cobble something together.

Conley is maybe the most underrated player in the entire NBA over the last decade, we'd be a force with him.

Conley is maybe the most underrated player in the entire NBA over the last decade, we'd be a force with him.

Durability is my biggest concern. I just think Dm and Conley is a bit undersized... I think have Royce, DM, Ingles on the perimeter has been part of the reason the defense has been so good lately. Conley is a good defender but still small.

I just don’t think we need a traditional pg next to Donovan and it isn’t the ideal setup... if he became available for expirings then by all means but I wouldn’t put a lot on the table to trade for him.

If I thought we needed a pg next to DM I'd probably be fine with it. I think DM is the pg.
I'm still not sold, he's been awesome lately, and I'm glad we have him as an option there. But even on this tear he's been on, all as the starting PG: Just over 4 APG. That's not enough.

Ingles and Exum are just way better than him at running a pick and roll with a big going to the basket, Mitchell just seemingly can't find the guys for the lob or drop off pass for the easy layup/dunk. And we just need that from a starting PG in our offense.

I'm still not sold, he's been awesome lately, and I'm glad we have him as an option there. But even on this tear he's been on, all as the starting PG: Just over 4 APG. That's not enough.

Ingles and Exum are just way better than him at running a pick and roll with a big going to the basket, Mitchell just seemingly can't find the guys for the lob or drop off pass for the easy layup/dunk. And we just need that from a starting PG in our offense.

His passing has been really good. Since starting at PG he is at 5 Assists per game... our offense is equal opportunity offense and spreads the ball around. Last night watching him make the right pass out of the trap with good defenders on him was fantastic.

He needs to work on the interior passing, but wholly hell when he figures that out its over... why wouldn't we want him getting more reps there. Having an attacking pg who is a threat with the ball in his hands has made us look great. He's been a +83 in the games he's started at pg. Crappy teams for the most part but he's been awesome.

We need another pg back in the second unit for sure, but I think having DM/Ingles backcourt is working really well.

His FTA per game has picked up... I think having the ball more is part of the reason. Having a traditional pg I think feeds his worst shot hunting habits. Thinking he needs to attack but also get others involved maybe changes his mindset.

I think the defense improves because we can put more length and athleticism on the court and DM is big for a pg rather than adequate or slightly below average as a wing. He can do both so if a great deal comes along for a pg then go for it... I think Conley is good but I don't think he is worth his contract, which is fine because he's really good and we can afford it, but I'm not giving up additional assets to get it.

His passing has been really good. Since starting at PG he is at 5 Assists per game... our offense is equal opportunity offense and spreads the ball around. Last night watching him make the right pass out of the trap with good defenders on him was fantastic.

He needs to work on the interior passing, but wholly hell when he figures that out its over... why wouldn't we want him getting more reps there. Having an attacking pg who is a threat with the ball in his hands has made us look great. He's been a +83 in the games he's started at pg. Crappy teams for the most part but he's been awesome.

We need another pg back in the second unit for sure, but I think having DM/Ingles backcourt is working really well.

His FTA per game has picked up... I think having the ball more is part of the reason. Having a traditional pg I think feeds his worst shot hunting habits. Thinking he needs to attack but also get others involved maybe changes his mindset.

I think the defense improves because we can put more length and athleticism on the court and DM is big for a pg rather than adequate or slightly below average as a wing. He can do both so if a great deal comes along for a pg then go for it... I think Conley is good but I don't think he is worth his contract, which is fine because he's really good and we can afford it, but I'm not giving up additional assets to get it.
Fair enough, if he can figure it out then I like the size matchups way more with him at the 1. And then we don't need to find a Rubio replacement, we can just address any areas of need.

If we're going to live and die by Mitchell anyway then I understand the logic. But as a PG he can't let his big man not get his 20-20 game.

Give me some more examples besides Brook Lopez. I'm thinking he is the exception rather than the rule

The 5 man lineup of DM, Royce, Ingles, Favs, Rudy has a net rating of +30.6 per 100 possessions in about 50 min of court time.

The 5 man lineup of DM, Royce, Ingles, Jae, Rudy has a net rating of +30.4 per 100 possessions in about 32 min of court time.

Small sample size... but the main starting unit and closing unit works well with DM at pg.