What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Miami is in a salary/roster crunch... they'd like to sign Silva to a new deal off his two-way, but are hardcapped because of a sign and trade. Exum for Olynyk saves them a few million this year and next... They have a stretch 5 in Leonard, they have Bam who can do it all, and they have Silva... so maybe... we likely need to give up something else... its in the realm of possibility.

Would be funny to see if Exum can pass the conditioning test in Miami.
DL wanted Olynyk in the draft, so yeah, we could get him tunnel visioned. Exum for Olynyk and Bradley for Belinelli. Call it #GoingWhite.

Of course, DL doesn’t make phone calls.

I’d also be curious to know WTF the teams were that wanted NWG’s rights that had DL in a mad scramble to sign him. Wonder what kind of minimum guys those teams have.

I’d also be curious to know WTF the teams were that wanted NWG’s rights that had DL in a mad scramble to sign him. Wonder what kind of minimum guys those teams have.
I think San Antonio just trolls him every now and again... prolly laughing they asses off about it. "Can you believe we got him to take Bradley and trade up to do it?" "NWG's agent owes us a commission on that deal!"

If we are deadass serious about winning over everything for the next two years... I think you could flip Conley and Exum into CP3 and Gibson. 3 team deal where NY sends some of their expirings to OKC... OKC eats the Exum deal. Might be able to steal a useful minimum dude in the deal too.

I know CP3 is old, but he's still really flipping good even though he's lost a step... he might have the Nash Stockton years from 34-36 where he is just still productive... I don't know how a physically limited Conley will age. We'd never do anything this crazy and this expensive, but I think it'd be available if we wanted it.

If we are deadass serious about winning over everything for the next two years... I think you could flip Conley and Exum into CP3 and Gibson. 3 team deal where NY sends some of their expirings to OKC... OKC eats the Exum deal. Might be able to steal a useful minimum dude in the deal too.

I know CP3 is old, but he's still really flipping good even though he's lost a step... he might have the Nash Stockton years from 34-36 where he is just still productive... I don't know how a physically limited Conley will age. We'd never do anything this crazy and this expensive, but I think it'd be available if we wanted it.
CP3 aged well because he added weight after he lost his speed. If Conley can't add weight then his decline is pretty much inevitable at this point.

CP3 aged well because he added weight after he lost his speed. If Conley can't add weight then his decline is pretty much inevitable at this point.
I think he's lighter this year than in year's past... He's strong AF and just so damn smart. He's a different level of player than Mike was... perennial all-star versus a borderline all-star. He was also the guy that threw the passes for a team that was nicknamed lob city... wonder if that would be a valuable skill for us.

I think CP dropped a few lbs for his naked photo shoot for SI's body issue.

Both guys have injury risk... CP is an ******* and Conley is a nice guy so there is some locker room issue there. He has one more year at like 45M on the end of his contract... If he didn't then I think he'd have a lot more trade value. If we traded for him he'd likely get hurt his first week cuz we cursed.

Miami is in a salary/roster crunch... they'd like to sign Silva to a new deal off his two-way, but are hardcapped because of a sign and trade. Exum for Olynyk saves them a few million this year and next... They have a stretch 5 in Leonard, they have Bam who can do it all, and they have Silva... so maybe... we likely need to give up something else... its in the realm of possibility.

Would be funny to see if Exum can pass the conditioning test in Miami.
I’ve seen a few Miami games this year. Bam is amazing. He will end up in the conversation for best C.

Oh, and Exum for Olynyk would be great.

In his Q&A on The Athletic yesterday, Tony Jones said "I think there's certainly a chance the Jazz tweak the roster even more between now and the deadline."

David Locke has said that the Jazz try to acquire people they have coveted in the past (and of course this isn't unique to the Jazz). So here are some people I can remember Locke/Jones saying the Jazz have liked in the recent past, and guys that Locke has brought up a bunch. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of players. Can anyone else remember any?

Troy Brown - not available
Eric Paschall/Carson Edwards/Brandon Clarke - not available
Mo Wagner - Probably not available
Doug McDermott - Locke has mentioned his name a ton over the past couple years
Robert Covington - don't have the assets
Aaron Gordon - probably don't have the assets if available

In his Q&A on The Athletic yesterday, Tony Jones said "I think there's certainly a chance the Jazz tweak the roster even more between now and the deadline."

David Locke has said that the Jazz try to acquire people they have coveted in the past (and of course this isn't unique to the Jazz). So here are some people I can remember Locke/Jones saying the Jazz have liked in the recent past, and guys that Locke has brought up a bunch. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of players. Can anyone else remember any?

Imagine McDermott getting Niang minutes.

Apparently they were very interested in Olynyk when he was drafted.

Jazz liked Nicolas Claxton in the last draft.
They almost signed Bobby Portis in FA last summer before Bogdanovic told the Jazz he was interested.
David Locke has mentioned Garret Temple as a player he likes. He also like Mo Wagner. But neither of these seem realistic.
Gordon Chiesa has said nice things about Julius Randle in the past.
The Jazz made a play for Otto Porter when Hayward left, but I don't think they'd go after him today.