What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Would anyone include JWF in a deal with NYK if that’s what sealed the deal?

I'm a little surprised amid all this talk of Marcus Morris (he of the 37.4% 2 pt FG% and other baggage), Bertans (we'd have been better off with Mirotic, if anyone's thinking he's the answer for a full-sized PF), Brantley, etc., that I've seen virtually no curiosity here about Juwan Morgan.

Think about it: the Jazz didn't just cut Stanton Kidd to open up space, but presumably because they like Morgan enough to have taken the financial hit.

Morgan leads the Stars in: rebounding, FG% (73.5% from 2, 58.3% from 3), TS% (89.5%), blocks, A/TO ratio. He has a good two inches of height on Brantley. He's been playing center so far for the Stars, with a good defensive rating, so I don't think he has any problems in guarding "up."

This podcast from the Stepien guys previews him as a draft prospect (starting at 32:57). Basically they say he has a shot if he can improve his shot. So far, so good in limited G-League time. They like his defensive versatility (should be able to switch 3-5 without much problem) and strength/length combo for his size. I'm a little higher on his athleticism than they are.

Here's video highlights from his G-League games. His weaknesses that I can see are basically: low usage, high foul rate, and only taking shots near the rim and from 3 (not much self-creation ability), as well as the small sample size for his improved outside shot.

Small sample is an understatement on Morgan's outside shot. I mean if the coaches have seen it in practice then sure (that really means more for all the rooks at this point).

I'm a little surprised amid all this talk of Marcus Morris (he of the 37.4% 2 pt FG% and other baggage), Bertans (we'd have been better off with Mirotic, if anyone's thinking he's the answer for a full-sized PF), Brantley, etc., that I've seen virtually no curiosity here about Juwan Morgan.

Think about it: the Jazz didn't just cut Stanton Kidd to open up space, but presumably because they like Morgan enough to have taken the financial hit.

Morgan leads the Stars in: rebounding, FG% (73.5% from 2, 58.3% from 3), TS% (89.5%), blocks, A/TO ratio. He has a good two inches of height on Brantley. He's been playing center so far for the Stars, with a good defensive rating, so I don't think he has any problems in guarding "up."

This podcast from the Stepien guys previews him as a draft prospect (starting at 32:57). Basically they say he has a shot if he can improve his shot. So far, so good in limited G-League time. They like his defensive versatility (should be able to switch 3-5 without much problem) and strength/length combo for his size. I'm a little higher on his athleticism than they are.

Here's video highlights from his G-League games. His weaknesses that I can see are basically: low usage, high foul rate, and only taking shots near the rim and from 3 (not much self-creation ability), as well as the small sample size for his improved outside shot.

He's physically tough as a defender, much the way Royce is, which does allow him to guard big PFs. He has good instincts and quick hands that help him rebound and get loose balls. His shooting has improved dramatically since the summer. He's interesting. He just doesn't have much off-the-bounce game or a very developed offensive game. He can spot up and score a bit around the basket. He's a good prospect, but needs to expand his game to include more passing and cutting if he's going to play out on the floor as a 4.

Morgan looks like he could shed a few pounds but appears fundamentally sound. He also had some good stats in the preseason. He strikes me as a guy that won't take crap off anyone.

Ok, but he's always a shooting threat.
a guy who's never made more than 3 threes in a game is supposed to be a "threat" to other teams? by comparison, Joe has 47 games in which he made 4 threes or more, DM has 40. Heck, even Bricky Ricky has 12 games.

And don't use PT as an excuse either, when we played LAC in the last regular season game, Niang was given the green light to fire but only hit 2 of 6 from deep to go along with 42% overall shooting. efficiency means nothing when you don't have the volume to back it up(and vice versa), and that's exactly the case with Niang. opponents or fans will not respect you as a shooter until you can prove that you can shoot at a good efficiency AND high volume.

c'mon jazz and hurry up and make a trade
3iuq5s.jpg

a guy who's never made more than 3 threes in a game is supposed to be a "threat" to other teams? by comparison, Joe has 47 games in which he made 4 threes or more, DM has 40. Heck, even Bricky Ricky has 12 games.

And don't use PT as an excuse either, when we played LAC in the last regular season game, Niang was given the green light to fire but only hit 2 of 6 from deep to go along with 42% overall shooting. efficiency means nothing when you don't have the volume to back it up(and vice versa), and that's exactly the case with Niang. opponents or fans will not respect you as a shooter until you can prove that you can shoot at a good efficiency AND high volume.
Yes, Niang is a threat from 3.

This isnt rocket science.

And it's crazy that a 40% 3pt shooter will sometimes hit 2/6 from 3. I mean, some games he will shoot 50%, then it's like the average is in the middle of that.

Of course Bertans is gonna be a short term fix. In fact i don't even believe we've got the money to resign him in the summer. But his shooting will allow us to release Niang and his talent to China.