What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

Ayo wouldn't be a bad pick in my opinion. He's a strong, athletic combo guard with size who is ready to contribute. As for Conley, here's David Thorpe suggesting that Mike will move on to another team. Dallas has some interest apparently, as does Miami. A bunch of teams have cap space, and it's a lean FA market overall.

Yeah, the Mavs have 27M in cap space. They could sign Conley outright and then re-sign Hardaway Jr. Doing that alone would make their team exponentially better.

This is the type of scenario that would suck for us.

Ayo & Trent Forrest are the exact same height. Ayo's wingspan is longer (indeed quite good), though he measured smaller on standing reach (probably on the Pat Connaughton plan). In rebounding (one of Ayo's strong points), assists, and turnovers he and Trent were quite similar as collegians. Ayo seems to have more dynamism, scoring potential, and shooting (though I wouldn't put him in the upper echelon in any of these as compared to NBA players). I suspect his defensive chops are similar to Trent's.

I think he's a defensible pick, and he may help in some ways, but he certainly doesn't solve the big-wing defense problem. He can contribute to a bigger, more versatile backcourt.

Jazz apparently worked out Trendon Watford in Salt Lake. Pre-draft workouts are being kept on the dl.

From the scouting video, dude's offensive game reminds me of Brantley if Brantley were 2-3 inches taller, much doughier, slower, and with better innate feel for the game.

I don't see how he survives in the NBA defensively. Too slow, and no real feel for that side of the ball to compensate.

Yeah, the Mavs have 27M in cap space. They could sign Conley outright and then re-sign Hardaway Jr. Doing that alone would make their team exponentially better.

This is the type of scenario that would suck for us.
As the resident Conley S&T expert, can you tell us if the Jazz can do that with the Mavs without receiving (much) salary (say, some god damn 2nd rounders or something)?

I'm a Bama fan. Quite aware he had a bad game. Still an elite defender though. And his athleticism has a better chance to shine in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
I remember a lot of people dismissed Kawhi after byu dumped SDSU and they lost early in March madness. He struggled to defend Jimmer. There were questions about how his game would translate.

I’m not calling Herb Kawhi. However, we shouldn’t overreact to college. Guys have bad games. And often great athletes shine in the nba rather than college. The pace and style is just different. I think Herb is an interesting talent. It’s too bad we didn’t select McDaniels last year. I think he could’ve fixed a lot defensively while still adding a lot offensively.

From the scouting video, dude's offensive game reminds me of Brantley if Brantley were 2-3 inches taller, much doughier, slower, and with better innate feel for the game.

I don't see how he survives in the NBA defensively. Too slow, and no real feel for that side of the ball to compensate.

Think Kyle Anderson, but less smooth and polished on the ball. He'll need to work on his defense, but if Georges Niang can do it...

As the resident Conley S&T expert, can you tell us if the Jazz can do that with the Mavs without receiving (much) salary (say, some god damn 2nd rounders or something)?

Yes and we would receive a very large trade exception equal to whatever Conley’s salary is with the Mavericks if we don’t take any salary back. Unfortunately there isn’t much incentive for Dallas to do this which is why we’d likely have to give up two 2nd rounders with Conley and take one back.

Charlotte did this with Boston for Hayward and Boston got a trade exception that turned into Evan Fornier at the trade deadline.

Hell, if the Mavericks wanted to shed some salary and wanted to trade Richardson or Kleber we could take them back and just be over the luxury tax equal to their salaries which are 11M and 8M.

Both scenarios aren’t the worst at all if Conley left but it would require the Mavericks wanting to play ball.

In the second scenario say we get back Richardson. We then could try to move Clarkson/Favors/1st (which equals about 22M in salary we could take back) in a deal for a PG or another wing. Then we’d be about 11M over the luxury tax unless we took back less salary in a deal including those two.

Quin needs to play our young guys much, much more this year. Even if it means sacrificing a couple wins and seeding.

They need to play. And frankly, we quite obviously don’t need to burn out any of our rotation players, pretty much all of whom, could use a lighter workload for one reason or another.
This. Load management. Let the bench play. Keep Crumbling Conley a little more healthy so he only misses like 1/4 of the play-off games.

Herb Jones' anticipation and timing on defensive plays are pretty remarkable.

Yea I was impressed with this defensive highlights. He was staying in front of his guy and then when the guy got by him he was able to recover. There was even a Lebron like block on a fast break. I do not know where he is rated but I would be ok with drafting him. I personally would love it if the Jazz could swap their number one for 2nd rounders. I do not know if this would interest anyone or perhaps they could stay at 30 and then buy a second.

Yea I was impressed with this defensive highlights. He was staying in front of his guy and then when the guy got by him he was able to recover. There was even a Lebron like block on a fast break. I do not know where he is rated but I would be ok with drafting him. I personally would love it if the Jazz could swap their number one for 2nd rounders. I do not know if this would interest anyone or perhaps they could stay at 30 and then buy a second.
I agree. I think we need to draft at #30 and buy a 2nd or two. Maybe we trade a future 2nd if we can get a 2nd high enough in this draft.

This is a pretty deep draft for wings who could help us.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I remember a lot of people dismissed Kawhi after byu dumped SDSU and they lost early in March madness. He struggled to defend Jimmer. There were questions about how his game would translate.

I’m not calling Herb Kawhi. However, we shouldn’t overreact to college. Guys have bad games. And often great athletes shine in the nba rather than college. The pace and style is just different. I think Herb is an interesting talent. It’s too bad we didn’t select McDaniels last year. I think he could’ve fixed a lot defensively while still adding a lot offensively.
Herb is going to have a long, successful career because he's a tireless worker who can defend 1-4. Offensively, he's a good passer and capable drive and dish player.

I think his comparison will be more like Ben Simmons with two differences-

I don't think he is the freakish kind of athlete that Ben is...

however

#1 he won't be afraid to work on and take wide open 3s at the next level.
and
#2 He's a leader who teammates want to follow.

If we are intent on running it back, it would be wise to get Herb Jones to address our weak perimeter defense.

How do we know how good the kid will or won't be? He's bigger than Lou Williams who has had a fine NBA career.

I'd love for him to be bigger, stronger, faster, but if the kid can hoop, let's not pass on him due to something as silly as his frame or weight. There have been plenty of good players, especially in the last 10 years, who don't fit the prototypical height and weight model.

I don't know what to expect from this kid, but I think he's worth a look: https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2021/06/24/bones-hyland-scrimmage-game-nba-draft-combine/
I’m tired of going after guys considered to be light on athleticism and defense and somewhat limited. Maybe the jazz need to rethink their standard of prospect they go after. Had the jazz had better perimeter defenders, maybe Gobert stays home a little more on Mann and he doesn’t kill us for 39 ****ing points.

I’m tired of going after guys considered to be light on athleticism and defense and somewhat limited. Maybe the jazz need to rethink their standard of prospect they go after. Had the jazz had better perimeter defenders, maybe Gobert stays home a little more on Mann and he doesn’t kill us for 39 ****ing points.
I agree. That's why I'm so fighting on Herb Jones and Josh Primo. These guys will be very good perimeter defenders.

I was just defending that kid because making an assumption he won't succeed at the next level based off being small is a little ridiculous right now. Small guys who can score are living at the free throw line now.

But yeah, I go perimeter defender on this pick every single time. Herb Jones is my pick here.