What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

You think Pons could handle (nominally) playing the 5 full time? I know 0 besides what you just mentioned and some surface level metrics, but 6’ 6” 215 doesn’t look like it would hold up on the surface and his shooting looks like it’s regressed (not a great sign that it’s going to come along).

If he can hold down the backup nominal 5 spot OR can believably develop a catch-and-shoot 3, then it sounds like a great prospect.
I mean, not against the Embiid/Jokic of the world, but he can hold his own against big guys with less skills to shoot over him.

Here's a good game of him doing a bit of everything on defense, including defending Udoka on post-ups.

But yeah, he just does everything on defense at a pretty high level. Shooting is definitely his swing skill.

And it's wild to me Yves Pons only weighed 206 lbs at the combine. I'm not sure I even believe that. The guy has muscles on top of muscles on top of muscles.

Ughh.. of that bunch, definitely Ayo.

And by Ayo, I mean Greg Brown.

I'm okay with Ayo. I think he's got a bit of Jrue Holiday in him, and he worked really hard and improved in the past year. I'm also still on board with Vrenz. With Greg Brown, you'd take him because he's an explosive athlete with a ton of energy on defense. You're assuming you can help him learn to shoot, like you did with Royce O'Neale.

There's actually a slim chance that Ziaire Williams will drop. He might be worth taking on as a project, but he's nowhere near ready. I'm not sure the upside is worth the risk. The same could be said of Brandon Boston. It seems the Jazz are in a hurry to at least make the WCF this year.

Another sleeper for the Jazz might be Terrence Shannon. I've just never been fully on board with him for some reason.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty happy with Ayo as our guy at #30.

Not a surefire thing, but a decent fit if Conley's out the door and probably more ready to contribute than most.

Thor is the best dude available in our range, no battle.

I can’t see him not rising though. Would be pretty shocked if he was around even in the mid-20’s.

Has Roko going 36, Wieskamp going 40, and Josh Christopher going 33.

Has Jazz taking Miles McBride at 30. He's a guy I like, but don't love.

McBride is a good fit next to Mitchell. He can guard either guard spot, shoot it, and he can handle the ball and playmake a bit.

Someone play devils advocate to my love of Thor. I'm seeing a Siakam-esque vibe to him. Siakam didn't shoot the 3 in college but his FR year had really similar number to Thor on a per 40 basis in a really weak league.

Dude is exactly what we need on this team and where the league is going and where its at. To me his ceiling is mega high as in top 10 in this draft but his floor is actually high as well. Again, what am I missing?

Someone play devils advocate to my love of Thor. I'm seeing a Siakam-esque vibe to him. Siakam didn't shoot the 3 in college but his FR year had really similar number to Thor on a per 40 basis in a really weak league.

Dude is exactly what we need on this team and where the league is going and where its at. To me his ceiling is mega high as in top 10 in this draft but his floor is actually high as well. Again, what am I missing?
I’ve seen nothing on the guy but his name is Thor for hells sake… he will definitely be good based on just that.

He's raw. He's a bit of a project, and his skills as a wing are limited. He'd play more as a defensive-minded 4, except that he may be a 3pt shooting threat. He's got measurables and athleticism that should impact the game. You hope he matures and impacts both ends like Josh Smith did, while shooting a bit more consistently. He needs to add some weight/strength and rebound more to play at the 4. If it works, you've got a 3D big wing who can guard the Anthony Davis types.

He's the kind of guy Toronto would draft as a developmental pick--like they did with Siakam and Chris Boucher.

He's raw. He's a bit of a project, and his skills as a wing are limited. He'd play more as a defensive-minded 4, except that he may be a 3pt shooting threat. He's got measurables and athleticism that should impact the game. You hope he matures and impacts both ends like Josh Smith did, while shooting a bit more consistently.

He's the kind of guy Toronto would draft as a developmental pick--like they did with Siakam and Chris Boucher.
Thanks.

I could totally see Presti taking him as well. OKC takes everyone I want to take a swing on historically.

I like his shooting motion and dont think its unreasonable to see him as a career 35%+ 3pt shooter as an absolute monster defender. Wet. Dream.

Thanks.

I could totally see Presti taking him as well. OKC takes everyone I want to take a swing on historically.

I like his shooting motion and dont think its unreasonable to see him as a career 35%+ 3pt shooter as an absolute monster defender. Wet. Dream.

I think he was widely considered a 2nd-round pick before the Combine, where he measured well and shot the ball pretty well.