What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

Unless someone we love falls... I would bet we move back and get a couple seconds in this draft. A few years ago I think the #30 pick was moved for 4 seconds. If we could nab two picks in the 30s or early 40s and a future second (that projects to be solid) I'd be all in on a move like that... again assuming a guy we love doesn't fall. If Butler, Thor, and maybe Ayo were there those are guys I'd want to take and try to buy a pick in the 40s.
In 2021, New Orleans has:

They have three 2nd rounders in 2022 including ours.

I would trade #30 for #40, #43 and our 2022 2nd rounder back.

I would do that type of deal fo sho... but again if one of those guys I love slid down to #30 you just make the pick and figure out another way to snag a second round pick.

Put it this way... there is no way in hell we don't draft someone in the second round. It saves us around 4M in salary and tax to have a roster spot going to a second round guy instead of a minimum player not taken in the second round. $4M is enough to buy a couple bad second round picks or one good one for sure. It's kind of a "free" prospect.

After looking at KOC's revised big board, I'm wondering who you all would get excited for if they started sliding relative to expectations on draft night (and to be realistic, someone who's usually in the 10- early 20s range) -- the kind of player you'd be demanding on this board that JL find a way to move up to pick?

For me, it's probably Kai Jones (who has slid in KOC's big board, I think), I managed to watch Austin Reaves vs Texas, when Jones had his best game. Jones's talent looked so much better than anyone else's on the court that day. I understand that he did far worse in most of the other games; I also I fell for Perry Jones back in the day, so I'm a sucker for long, agile PFs with ball skills and shot-blocking potential. But that's someone I'd probably be willing to chase (though I really doubt he'll slide far enough for the Jazz to even consider it).

On the other side, is there anyone you'd recommend that the Jazz stay away from even if they "slid" all the way to #30? For me?: maybe Isaiah Jackson or Shariffe Cooper (mostly for fit reasons), maybe Jalen Johnson.
Kai Jones highlights look like Giannis tbh so I get why people love him.

After looking at KOC's revised big board, I'm wondering who you all would get excited for if they started sliding relative to expectations on draft night (and to be realistic, someone who's usually in the 10- early 20s range) -- the kind of player you'd be demanding on this board that JL find a way to move up to pick?

For me, it's probably Kai Jones (who has slid in KOC's big board, I think). I managed to watch Austin Reaves vs Texas, when Jones had his best game. Jones's talent looked so much better than anyone else's on the court that day. I understand that he did far worse in most of the other games; I also I fell for Perry Jones back in the day, so I'm a sucker for long, agile PFs with ball skills and shot-blocking potential. But that's someone I'd probably be willing to chase (though I really doubt he'll slide far enough for the Jazz to even consider it).

On the other side, is there anyone you'd recommend that the Jazz stay away from even if they "slid" all the way to #30? For me?: maybe Isaiah Jackson or Shariffe Cooper (mostly for fit reasons), maybe Jalen Johnson.
Jared Butler is it for me. I just think he could be a high level offensive player and a good defender. I think he's a high floor and better than advertised upside. Just so much to like and if he doesn't go in the lotto or teens because his wingspan isn't ideal or because of the health issues I'm just fine with that. Can come in next year and play rotation minutes (10ish per game) and ramp up when you have injuries to see what you have.

I know as much about Miles McBride as KOC's write-up on him and I'm over the moon. Anyone wanna comment (@Saint Cy of JFC )?
I don't know too much. But watched him when WV played Oklahoma (was focusing more on Reaves). Clearly a good talent. I like his defense. Not sure that he's all that much more than an average playmaker. OK size, but wouldn't really do much to move us out of the "short backcourt" category. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Dosunmu, though I can see an argument for McBride over him.

I think the Jazz are going to be very active in the 2nd round. There are way too many prospects there that make sense.

Vrenz, Weiskamp, Petrusev, Johnson, Jones, Wright, Watford, Lewis...

Last edited:
I don't know too much. But watched him when WV played Oklahoma (was focusing more on Reaves). Clearly a good talent. I like his defense. Not sure that he's all that much more than an average playmaker. OK size, but wouldn't really do much to move us out of the "short backcourt" category. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Dosunmu, though I can see an argument for McBride over him.
I know you can't bank on an outlier, but the best small defensive guards can play up a position or two just on their skill and desire on that end. So that would be cool.

For the record, I think it makes sense to trade down in some way, shape, or form.

I hate Murphy. For a guy with his size, he is so far below the rim. I don’t need stud athletes but show me something.
Unless someone we love falls... I would bet we move back and get a couple seconds in this draft. A few years ago I think the #30 pick was moved for 4 seconds. If we could nab two picks in the 30s or early 40s and a future second (that projects to be solid) I'd be all in on a move like that... again assuming a guy we love doesn't fall. If Butler, Thor, and maybe Ayo were there those are guys I'd want to take and try to buy a pick in the 40s.

I’m guessing we move back and get one 2nd. That’s the price we’ll have to pay for offloading Favors. Just my gut feeling.

Doing a deal like this also allows you to split the baby a little bit... get a higher upside guy like Primo/Josh Christopher/Brandon Boston and a play now guy like Robinson-Earl or Herb Jones.

I’m guessing we move back and get one 2nd. That’s the price we’ll have to pay for offloading Favors. Just my gut feeling.
I have 2 questions for this train of thought:

#1 - are we considered to be "running it back" if we dump Favors and an asset for a 2nd rounder?

#2 - do we fear any sort of backlash from the team if we just dump Favors? Or even worse if we use an asset to dump Favors?

I know you can't bank on an outlier, but the best small defensive guards can play up a position or two just on their skill and desire on that end. So that would be cool.

For the record, I think it makes sense to trade down in some way, shape, or form.
I haven't seen enough to really have an opinion about whether he's this kind of Chris Paul/Patrick Beverley bulldog defensively. If he is, then he surely rises for me.

Seems like a guy like Greg Brown probably deserves a bit more attention around #30 as well. He'd fit the bill on that stretch four that we've been missing.

Really wish we had another high 2nd rounder.
Greg Brown is a knucklehead that would never work in Utah. Freak athlete though.

#1 - are we considered to be "running it back" if we dump Favors and an asset for a 2nd rounder?

#2 - do we fear any sort of backlash from the team if we just dump Favors? Or even worse if we use an asset to dump Favors?

Yes, he was our 8th guy, if we get someone at 1/3rd the cost who can be a solid replacement and bring everyone else back, I can live with that.

I'm not big on draft promises... but if Jared Butler wanted to be here I'd make him a promise and then tell his agent to withhold showing his medicals to other teams. I think teams tend to over-react to that stuff and there is opportunity there. MP jr. , malcolm Brogdon are some that immediately come to mind as guys with medical red flags that slipped in the draft. This is obviously different as it isn't a foot or knee or back.

Yes and yes.

Part of the issue/benefit of Favs is he is really well liked. If you overpay him and have to move him later it will ruffle some feathers.

I'm not big on draft promises... but if Jared Butler wanted to be here I'd make him a promise and then tell his agent to withhold showing his medicals to other teams. I think teams tend to over-react to that stuff and there is opportunity there. MP jr. , malcolm Brogdon are some that immediately come to mind as guys with medical red flags that slipped in the draft. This is obviously different as it isn't a foot or knee or back.
Agreed.

I know as much about Miles McBride as KOC's write-up on him and I'm over the moon. Anyone wanna comment (@Saint Cy of JFC )?
He'd be on my bottom half of the combo guard rankings. I'd put him in the same tier as Hyland/Grimes/Ayayi. He's basically built like a lesser version of pre-draft Donovan Mitchell. Doesn't have the outlier length (but has good length). Doesnt have the outlier athleticism (but has good athleticism). He's one of the more versatile combo guards in the draft, mostly average at everything with just enough size to switch between guarding either guard spot.

But overall I dont think there is a ton of separation between the tiers of combo guards. It wouldnt shock me if Miles McBride ends up being a good starter and I think he fits next to Mitchell.

Last edited:
I think the Jazz are going to be very active in the 2nd round. There are way too many prospects there that make sense.

Vrenz, Weiskamp, Petrusev, Johnson, Jones, Wright, Watford, Lewis...
I do think there's a chance that they'll be active. But at most I'm thinking either:

-buy/somehow trade for a second-rounder to supplement #30
-trade #30 for two second rounders

I can't see them going with any more than that unless they know Conley's gone without any decent compensation. Otherwise I think the Jazz will be too focused on title hopes to put that much effort into player development. The only player I see who has any shot to both be selected after the mid 30s and help the Jazz this coming year is Herb Jones (if he somehow magically figures out how to be something of an offensive threat).