What's new

2023 NBA Combine Thread

Does Brice measure today? I’ve been saying I think he’s a solid 2” shy of the 6’6” they list him at but curious to see if I’m right or look really dumb.

Measurements winners are: (these are relative to my personal expectations)

• The Twins
  • GG Jackson (Beat the short wingspan relative to height allegations)
  • JHS (just a massive bodied and long PG)
  • Maxwell Lewis
  • Ryan Rupert (+8'' wingspan holy moly)
  • Jarace Walker (absolute tank of a human with elite length)
  • Dariq Whitehead (came in taller than I thought)
  • Zach Edey (my god)
  • OMP
  • Mo Gueye

Losers:

• Taylor Hendricks (came up lacking on the wingspan after it being rumored it was 7'3 and was shorter than expected)
  • Mike Miles (rare to see a negative wingspan on a 6' player)
  • Jordan Hawkins (thought he'd have a longer wingspan)
  • Sidy Cissoko (after being told he was 6'8 by Pooh Jeter, 6'5.5 is underwhelming)
  • Judah Mintz (probably one of the guys I've watched the least, but in the limited time I've seen him I thought of him as being a long-armed player, but is only + 0.5'')

As I thought, Air Podz might have faked his reach. 8'.05'' reach isnt completely out of the question, but most players his height/length are going to be around 8'3.

Similar situation with Jacquez. Only a 8'3 recorded reach. Seems fake.

Measurements winners are: (these are relative to my personal expectations)

• The Twins
  • GG Jackson (Beat the short wingspan relative to height allegations)
  • JHS (just a massive bodied and long PG)
  • Maxwell Lewis
  • Ryan Rupert (+8'' wingspan holy moly)
  • Jarace Walker (absolute tank of a human with elite length)
  • Dariq Whitehead (came in taller than I thought)
  • Zach Edey (my god)
  • OMP
  • Mo Gueye

Losers:

• Taylor Hendricks (came up lacking on the wingspan after it being rumored it was 7'3 and was shorter than expected)
  • Mike Miles (rare to see a negative wingspan on a 6' player)
  • Jordan Hawkins (thought he'd have a longer wingspan)
  • Sidy Cissoko (after being told he was 6'8 by Pooh Jeter, 6'5.5 is underwhelming)
  • Judah Mintz (probably one of the guys I've watched the least, but in the limited time I've seen him I thought of him as being a long-armed player, but is only + 0.5'')
On Hendricks i get that relative to your expectations, it might be a disappointment, but reality his numbers are very good - he didn't measure 7'3", which would be elite for his height but overall it's a really good result for him. Hawkins as well as Cam Whitmore are guys who have underwhelming reach numbers, but having watched them a lot, both are about what i expected. Hawkins even a tad taller than what i thought he might come in at. iow, i had already ranked them as prospects based on the idea that neither was exceptionally long.

Some random observations/notes regarding standing reach:

Cason Wallace's standing reach (8' 5") is the same as Gradey Dick's and Jrue Holiday's, higher than Jaime Jacquez (8' 3.5"), and 3" higher than Deron Williams. I'm not sure standing reach is necessarily the most important measurement for a guard, except that Wallace blocks a lot of shots for a guard.

Kobe Bufkin's standing reach of 8' 6.5" is really nice. Another guard that's shown some ability to block shots as a guard.

For bigs, standing reach is king, IMO. Hendricks didn't have an incredible day on other measurements or athletic testing (definitely still good), but he stands out on standing reach among high-level prospects at 8' 11".

Jordan Walsh is a total freak with an 8' 11" standing reach. He had a great day yesterday and should climb boards.

As I thought, Air Podz might have faked his reach. 8'.05'' reach isnt completely out of the question, but most players his height/length are going to be around 8'3.

Similar situation with Jacquez. Only a 8'3 recorded reach. Seems fake.
Could you elaborate on this? How/why would you short your measurements?

starting to wonder if walsh should be in play at 28. he's elite defensively with an elite motor which is a great base to start from - if he can even become a standstill catch and shoot guy, he easily outplays his draft position. if he simply can't get it done offensively, he's out of the league in 3 years - oh well, he was taken at 28. seems like the risk/reward is in your favor with him. this, of course depending on who else is there.

To get max vert, they take how high you touch and subtract standing reach. So if you sandbag your standing reach you get that added to your vert.
That doesn't make sense to me but I'll figure it out at some point in the next few days.

It makes sense that someone might game that mechanism to juice their athletic testing if they're considered unathletic, though.

Could you elaborate on this? How/why would you short your measurements?
They measure your vertical by measuring how high your reached minus your standing reach.

Just try it yourself. Reach up in the air with one hand in a casual manner. Then really try to extend to reach as high as possible. The difference is like +2'', you can make it even bigger if you sink your scapula a little bit. The shorter you make your standing reach, the bigger your vertical is going to look on paper because you will fully extend your reach on a max jump attempt.

starting to wonder if walsh should be in play at 28. he's elite defensively with an elite motor which is a great base to start from - if he can even become a standstill catch and shoot guy, he easily outplays his draft position. if he simply can't get it done offensively, he's out of the league in 3 years - oh well, he was taken at 28. seems like the risk/reward is in your favor with him. this, of course depending on who else is there.
Until he learns how to play 5 on 5 basketball without looking like a frightened deer I will pass.

That doesn't make sense to me but I'll figure it out at some point in the next few days.

It makes sense that someone might game that mechanism to juice their athletic testing if they're considered unathletic, though.
i think it's the idea that folks pay more attention to vert numbers than they do standing reach. so they'd rather their vert number look good than their standing reach number look good.