What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I'm not in love with Hendricks. But I like him. I think he has a very translatable skillset. I kind of feel like at 9 we should still be aiming higher... as in... players with higher reasonably achievable ceiling. IMO if you don't think the players remaining at 9 have all-star potential and Hendricks is there... I feel like he's relatively easy pick with high floor and easy transition to the league.

JHS looked like one of the best actual basketball players I watched in my "highlights scouting"... I bet I'm missing some stuff doing it like this, but I don't have the time this year to watch 2-3 games by every player we might pick before the draft. @KqWIN has mentioned he doesn't finish well at the rim and his defensive metrics are not great... but I still like him. He just looks like a player who knows how ot play and organize a team and he can score... I'm not sure if 9 is the pick I would use... but at 16 IMO he's a no brainer.
Any big guard is going to have issues guarding smaller players, so that's a strategy thing you have to decide as a team. I think JHS is overall a good defender, and fits the ideal of playoff defense.

JHS had the best individual games as a freshman of anyone other than Brandon Miller, so his highlights are going to pop. From what I've read about him, he seems like a leader type too, so that is probably going to help him rise in the draft.

I'm not in love with Hendricks. But I like him. I think he has a very translatable skillset. I kind of feel like at 9 we should still be aiming higher... as in... players with higher reasonably achievable ceiling. IMO if you don't think the players remaining at 9 have all-star potential and Hendricks is there... I feel like he's relatively easy pick with high floor and easy transition to the league.

JHS looked like one of the best actual basketball players I watched in my "highlights scouting"... I bet I'm missing some stuff doing it like this, but I don't have the time this year to watch 2-3 games by every player we might pick before the draft. @KqWIN has mentioned he doesn't finish well at the rim and his defensive metrics are not great... but I still like him. He just looks like a player who knows how ot play and organize a team and he can score... I'm not sure if 9 is the pick I would use... but at 16 IMO he's a no brainer.

Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I believe he has the lowest FG% at the rim of ALL prospects in addition to a low FTr of 20% (second worst in class). He also has the lowest stocks (steals + blocks) of any NCAA prospect in this years draft. These indicators are not perfect and there will always be outliers....but he is at the very low end.

Also, size matters. Derrick White is a pretty good defender, but he got targeted in the playoffs because of his size. Wallace could be a great defender and still be a target for these big dynamic wings to switch onto in a way that JHS wouldn't be

Also, size matters. Derrick White is a pretty good defender, but he got targeted in the playoffs because of his size. Wallace could be a great defender and still be a target for these big dynamic wings to switch onto in a way that JHS wouldn't be
I'm extremely confident White is like twice the defender JHS will be and that Wallace will be a better defender than JHS. White doubled up JHS with some change on stocks per minute.

Everyone's not-so-favorite site https://www.nbadraft.net was updated today and has a nightmare result for the Jazz.
9 Nick Smith
16 Jalen Hood-Schifino
28 Amari Bailey
there are very few scenarios i've seen that i would flat out hate. nsj at 9 is brutal, but 16 and 28, while they wouldn't be my first or second or even 5th choices, i could live with those and find reasons for optimism. but yeah, nsj at 9 would make me want to jump off a tall building.

Stocks arent the end all be all, especially for playoff defense
White also moves quite well. If we are talking size mattering then stocks are a good measure of who can use their size well. I also think its important in the playoffs and regular season. Wallace has amazing hands and when guys are all up in your business it is hard to do what you want.

If the measure is defense... Wallace>Black>JHS imo.

White also moves quite well. If we are talking size mattering then stocks are a good measure of who can use their size well. I also think its important in the playoffs and regular season. Wallace has amazing hands and when guys are all up in your business it is hard to do what you want.

If the measure is defense... Wallace>Black>JHS imo.
White moves great. I'm not saying he is bad, I'm just saying playoff defense size matters. You can have great hands, but if you weigh 200 lbs at 6'3 guys are going to go at you. Have you not watched any playoff basketball?

White moves great. I'm not saying he is bad, I'm just saying playoff defense size matters. You can have great hands, but if you weigh 200 lbs at 6'3 guys are going to go at you. Have you not watched any playoff basketball?
Yes... lol I have. I've also watched Smart stand Bam the **** up in the post. Wallace is more in the Smart/Holiday/PG Kawhi mold. If we get in a series and they hunt Wallace then we are gold... means their best option is to go at a guy that is a very good defender.

Yes... lol I have. I've also watched Smart stand Bam the **** up in the post. Wallace is more in the Smart/Holiday/PG Kawhi mold. If we get in a series and they hunt Wallace then we are gold... means their best option is to go at a guy that is a very good defender.
Ok, now tell me how much Marcus Smart weighs.

I'll wait for it