What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I know a lot of people love Hendricks and I get it, but I don't see him as a good fit next to Lauri. Ideally I want someone a bit more dynamic next to him. If fit isn't really a concern and you just want who you consider BPA, I get that too.

JHS does seem like the intersection of everything we've heard Utah wants

Going to do a little bit of a deep dive into JHS and will post here.

I don't disagree with taking a home run swing at #9, I think JHS is not a good prospect if you're actually swinging for the fences. All star players who can't find their way to the efficient shots (Rim, FT, and 3) don't really exist. He can improve, I think with his 3 ball especially, but he has so much to improve on and I think he has a physical limitation as far as getting to the basket and finishing there. He lacks burst and explosion. Bufkin and George are much better home run swings because they are significantly further along in attacking those three areas.

I have a feeling someone in the top 8 is going to fall in love with Bufkin. I think there’s going to be a ton of surprises in this draft and someone unexpected will fall to us

I think he's lottery. I'm not sure he'd go top 10. I think Nick Smith Jr. would go top 10 if he had Bufkin's tape though.

Amen. Thats why I think this draft is going to be special as we look back in 3, 5 and 10 years.

Even dudes I'm not really high on at all like Brice have a legit bankable skill that translates to the NBA. Dudes a walking bucket. There are prob 20+ dudes I can see the upside or rotation level player on in this draft with just a handful of dudes I think straight up stink (Rupert for 1....).
Here’s the counter: most players don’t make it. It counts as much or more to be able to assess bust potential as it is to assess boom potential. Teams are given essentially a 1-in-30 chance to find an NBA player, and if they can’t figure out how to hone in on who they want, it’s a worthless morass of overinformation. Honing in requires sussing out red flags.

I think there is a serious possibility that Sensabaugh never sees the floor outside of garbage time (or that if he does, it’s on a train wreck like Charlotte or something analogous).

From The Athletic:

Gradey Dick isn’t likely to be considered by Dallas, team and league sources tell The Athletic, all of whom were granted anonymity since they were not authorized to speak publicly about prospects. The team’s new front office is focused on athleticism and physicality much more than the old guard, which might have favored a skilled shooter but an unremarkable athlete like Dick.

Bufkin is the only guard who I would consider with the No. 10 overall pick, though Dallas might feel differently. Cason Wallace, Keyonte George and Nick Smith Jr. don’t solve Dallas’ urgent needs and might struggle to earn minutes.

Dallas needs defense more than anything.

I think this place would meltdown if we passed on Hendricks at 9 and Wallace at 16 lmao.

I don't see the Jazz drafting BOTH Hood-Schifino and Kobe Bufkin. I think that's an either/or proposition. I think the Jazz would be interested in Whitehead and Coulibaly at #16 if they drafted JHS at 9. I think they'd be looking for a 3D wing who can play at the 3.

JHS basically has to be a star-level off-the-dribble shooter to justify playing time but the on-ramp to that reputation seems difficult if he can’t generate basically any rim pressure as a 19-year old. He’s also booty on defense. I don’t see an NBA player there, all things considered. I think Ty Jerome was a more promising NBA prospect.

If he can guard and be any kind of threat at the rim even at a mediocre level he has a chance. The indicators do not look promising, though.

I don't see the Jazz drafting BOTH Hood-Schifino and Kobe Bufkin. I think that's an either/or proposition. I think the Jazz would be interested in Whitehead and Coulibaly at #16 if they drafted JHS at 9. I think they'd be looking for a 3D wing who can play at the 3.
Id tend to agree, but drafting two guards gives you a better chance at finding a future starting lead ballhandler.

This is what was said about Wallace at 17:

Wallace measured better than expected at the draft combine but appears to have a bit of a wider range on draft night than other lottery candidates, as some teams don't view him as a surefire point guard or primary creator and others question his scoring credentials

Where did they put Bobi Klintman? Just curious. I don't think he'd shut down his Combine and workouts just to miss out on the 1st round.

JHS basically has to be a star-level off-the-dribble shooter to justify playing time but the on-ramp to that reputation seems difficult if he can’t generate basically any rim pressure as a 19-year old. He’s also booty on defense. I don’t see an NBA player there, all things considered. I think Ty Jerome was a more promising NBA prospect.

If he can guard and be any kind of threat at the rim even at a mediocre level he has a chance. The indicators do not look promising, though.
JHS is known as a good defender and he would give you a ton of switchability. Maybe he's just a super sized Monte Morris type of player, but that's still a pretty good player

Givony really thinks GG is going to Hassan Whiteside this draft. It doesn't look like he has Bobi Klintman in his 1st round either.

JHS's scoring efficieny is under the most spotlight, which makes sense. His ability to score is the most tantalizing thing about him, but his TS of 49% is woefully bad. But the other really bad indicator, especially when it comes to his upwards potential, is his low steal rate. You don't have to get steals to be a good defender and not all good players have higher steal rates....but it has consistently been one of the strongest indicators for star players. Steals reflect activity, ability to read the game, athleticism, hustle, length etc. In order to make it, he has to overcome these two massive indicators.

He's kinda like the Anti-Haliburton prospect.

I know a lot of people love Hendricks and I get it, but I don't see him as a good fit next to Lauri. Ideally I want someone a bit more dynamic next to him. If fit isn't really a concern and you just want who you consider BPA, I get that too.

JHS does seem like the intersection of everything we've heard Utah wants
I'm not in love with Hendricks. But I like him. I think he has a very translatable skillset. I kind of feel like at 9 we should still be aiming higher... as in... players with higher reasonably achievable ceiling. IMO if you don't think the players remaining at 9 have all-star potential and Hendricks is there... I feel like he's relatively easy pick with high floor and easy transition to the league.

JHS looked like one of the best actual basketball players I watched in my "highlights scouting"... I bet I'm missing some stuff doing it like this, but I don't have the time this year to watch 2-3 games by every player we might pick before the draft. @KqWIN has mentioned he doesn't finish well at the rim and his defensive metrics are not great... but I still like him. He just looks like a player who knows how ot play and organize a team and he can score... I'm not sure if 9 is the pick I would use... but at 16 IMO he's a no brainer.