What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Is Ochai more or less attractive of a trade bait than Trey Lyles was when we used him to trade up for Mitchell?
Anytime I mention Ochai and a trade I am labeled a hater. He is more attractive than Lyles imo... but I was not a fan of Lyles.

The Bilal stuff just seems like a smoke screen to me. They know OKC is very interested and trying to get something from them. Bilal is the opposite prospect you pick if you are trying to go through a quick rebuild, which our org keeps saying they don't want a long process.

I think the Jazz do like Bilal, but they probably wanted to take Bilal at #16. Then OKC puts out a rumor that Bilal has a promise in the lottery range basically telling the Jazz, "If you want Bilal, you'll have to take him at #9. Then you can't trade up from #9 to take another guy like Jarace Walker." Meanwhile, OKC is trying to trade up to take a guy like Walker.

So then the Jazz put out the story, "We're happy to take Bilal at 9 and then get a point guard at #16, or we'll trade up for the guard we want."

In any case, the Jazz should be trying to trade up from #16, either for Bilal or for the guard they want. Then the question is whether they'll be able to package #9 and a future pick to move up into the top 7.

The Jazz should be trying to get #10 from Dallas. At the same time, they should be trying to package #9 and the Lakers pick, to move up into the top 6 or 7.

Last edited:
Black is in Houston for a workout today. If we’re talking about super ideal trade up scenarios for us him going 4 is one of them.

Whoever you pick at 9 isn't likely to be a huge contributor early so the short term approach doesn't really make sense. If we are to believe the quick turnaround stuff it's probably more applicable to how they approach free agency and trades.

You could argue Bilal is the most advanced defender and therefore the closest to contributing.

The Jazz could simply be asking themselves -- who is the most likely player to turn into an All Star and not be in a hurry to get out of Salt Lake City in the middle of his second contract. For small market teams like Utah, Denver and Milwaukee, it does make sense to look for players with star potential from Europe.

Notice how Stephen A. Smith isn't going on his show every week and saying, "I think Jokic needs to get out of a city like Denver."

Last edited:
I think Bilal could fall to 16. I think the interwebs draft gurus and fans are likely a bit higher on him than NBA front offices. Rather than take him at 9 I'd look to move back and chance it that he will be there at 12 or 13. If he isn't then Wallace, Black, or Dick will be.

We don't have to get a pg... I agree... just not sure where our pgotf comes from if we don't draft one this year. Unless they think they can nab FVV or Quickley then I would recommend drafting the pg at 9... bunch of ways we could go at 16 including trading back, miller or taking a combo guard. At 9 I'm not getting cute and taking BPA. IF they think Bilal is that then go for it.
Yeah, I think the move is to find a good stop-gap (vet) PG but be grooming someone we draft in the meantime.

Also… are we sure we have a good rapport with Bilal’s agent? Sounds like Rudy is a little salty we traded him.

Anytime I mention Ochai and a trade I am labeled a hater. He is more attractive than Lyles imo... but I was not a fan of Lyles.
We are in a stage of our rebuild that IMO very few players should be untouchable. Ochai is not among them IMO, even though I like him... If he can get us to say... no. 5 for a player Ainge and Zanik really love... then so be it... we still need THE guy! Look at the playoffs and the type of players you need in order to fight for a title. IMO we still don't have THAT guy.

We are in a stage of our rebuild that IMO very few players should be untouchable. Ochai is not among them IMO, even though I like him... If he can get us to say... no. 5 for a player Ainge and Zanik really love... then so be it...
I'm sorry for the pain that is coming your way... and I feel the same way FYI... I just fought this battle and some think Ochai is the second coming of Klay Thompson.

Black going #4 is ideal for us because it pushed someone down? Or trading up to #4 and taking Black is a good scenario?
Pushes guys down. I would trade up for Black if we decided he’s our guy but likely at 6/7. Him going 4 pushes Whitmore and Amen down an extra spot.

We are in a stage of our rebuild that IMO very few players should be untouchable. Ochai is not among them IMO, even though I like him... If he can get us to say... no. 5 for a player Ainge and Zanik really love... then so be it... we still need THE guy! Look at the playoffs and the type of players you need in order to fight for a title. IMO we still don't have THAT guy.
Which is why we need to try and trade up into the top three

Ochai’s #2 hater doing nasty work.