What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I find it pretty hard to actually peg who is the 2nd best player in the class.

Scoot seems to be the safest bet because whoever drafts him will probably give him the keys pretty early on.

Miller will probably be desiginated to more of a supporting star role for most of his career, so it might be tough for him to actually standout as the clear 2nd best.

Amen's shot will probably prevent him from ever being the 2nd best.
There is a case to be made that someone in the teens could be.

Cam
Ausar
Tay
Jarace
Bufkin
Black

None of those dudes being second best would shock me.

Don is a two foot jumper too... I don't think Scoot is. I think Scoot is a nuclear athlete when you consider strength as well as run and jump stuff.

The passing will be one big separator on Scoot's side... the shooting will favor Don. I can't imagine Scoot is worse on defense than Don in the pros... but maybe.
I mean, it's going to be extremely tough for Scoot to ever outperform Don's numbers. If he is to become clearly better than Donovan it would have to back on the back of more playoff wins.

I haven't dogged on Brandon Miller in a minute, but if you look at his late-season games against Tennessee and San Diego State, I think that's what he's going to look like going up against NBA-level wing defenders, unless someone else buys him some space and time to get his shots off.

……..Don’s BIGGEST plus coming in was as a defender.
Don was a great athlete with a lot of potential. I just think I've seen better defense out of Scoot coming into the draft and we all saw how bad Don got on the defensive side during his time here. He was below average even during his time with the Jazz, but was a great one man show on offense.

But Mitchell was Mitchell without a shot when he was coming out.
Interesting arguments.

So we take into account Don wasn’t a great shooter coming in, but we don’t account that we was a great defender in college and isn’t now?

Don was a great athlete with a lot of potential. I just think I've seen better defense out of Scoot coming into the draft and we all saw how bad Don got on the defensive side during his time here. He was below average even during his time with the Jazz, but was a great one man show on offense.
Huh?

huh? what are you basing that opinion on? people were comparing DM to Avery Bradley as a defender. what has scoot done defensively to make anybody think he's even above average?

and if scoot doesn't force bad shots, why does he only shoot 42% FGs and 27% from three? either he's a ****** shooter or he's forcing bad shots or some of both. likely the latter option.
At this point today, would you say Don is a good defender? I think he barely even tried on defense with the Jazz and focused almost entirely on his offense.

I haven't dogged on Brandon Miller in a minute, but if you look at his late-season games against Tennessee and San Diego State, I think that's what he's going to look like going up against NBA-level wing defenders, unless someone else buys him some space and time to get his shots off.
sample size, my friend. guys have off nights. sometimes even a bad 3 or 4 game stretch. it's part of basketball. on the whole, he was SEC player of the year and the best frosh, by far, in the country.

Interesting arguments.

So we take into account Don wasn’t a great shooter coming in, but we don’t account that we was a great defender in college and isn’t now?
I thought I addressed that part here:
Mitchell's defense form college to NBA is also a perfect representation of how these strengths and weaknesses can be total ******** in the end. Mitchell basically became the exact opposite player that people would have pegged him for.

In short: It's a ****ing crap shoot. So I'll take the super talented, hyper competitive, freak athlete. And see what happens next.

To clarify my joke: I am contextualizing your saying that he has a 50% of even surviving the NBA as being confident in his prospects.
I knew there was a joke I missed. I've been in like 4 hours straight of meetings and missed A LOT of jokes during this time.......