What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Anyone else get Exum vibes from Bilal? Apologies if this is an observation someone else has made, but to me he reminds me a lot of Exum. Even their set jumpshots look similar.

Yep. Bilal is a bit bigger and markedly longer. I think there are shades of Exum and shades of a young Wiggins. Bilal plays above the rim more than Exum.

If we draft Bilal, Locke will have an aneurysm trying to pronounce his name the first few weeks. He's been the one he struggles with the most this year :p

And he’s actually explosive. Exum was shockingly poor at getting up.
This. Exum could get anywhere he wanted on the court, but had no vertical explosion. It was something I noticed from his pre NBA tape and one of the reasons I didn't want him on the Jazz. I'm pretty sure it's the main reason he seemed timid is because he didn't have an off the bounce jumper and couldn't do anything at the rim once he got there, so what was he supposed to do but pass the ball or catch and shoot.

This. Exum could get anywhere he wanted on the court, but had no vertical explosion. It was something I noticed from his pre NBA tape and one of the reasons I didn't want him on the Jazz. I'm pretty sure it's the main reason he seemed timid is because he didn't have an off the bounce jumper and couldn't do anything at the rim once he got there, so what was he supposed to do but pass the ball or catch and shoot.
I wonder though whether his timidness is just his personality?

I know Cy is occasionally petulant, aggressive, and often wrong…but if we’re being completely honest, hardly anybody here has a better track record here on prospects than him. Some of you make it too personal with him. Get out of your feelers and just keep it to ball.
Sir Cy is an honorable colleague. I tip my hat to him for his indelible contributions.

JHS to Toronto at 13 is getting pretty popular among mock drafts.

Wonder if he is there top target, or if they would go Bilal if he gets to them.

Seems like JHS's floor might be the Lakers at 17, his ceiling might be just ahead of Toronto if a team wants to trade up to get him. I dont think he is going to be a choice for Utah at 9, just my gut feeling but I think they are valuing the longer/bigger forwards like Hendricks/Walker/Bilal more. I would like to say his floor would be Utah at 16 though, as I do think they would jump on him and the Keyonte/NSJ stuff is fake.

He’s one of the most menacing on-ball defenders in this class, and at 6’6” with a sturdy 213-pound frame, he won’t struggle against bulkier players anywhere near as much as most teenage guards.

JHS is going to be the dream playoff point guard. Switchable, intense defender who can guard 1-3 and probably play up to 4's and not get dump trucked on like Aaron Gordon was doing to certain Miami guards.

If anything, and despite the remarkable boon of playing his freshman year with a big like TJD, this Hoosiers offense was actually a terrible fit for Hood-Schifino. Outside of Miller Kopp, the team had no shooting threats to speak of—Hood-Schifino himself was second on the team in three-point attempts and tied for second for three-point makes. On the whole, the Hoosiers lacked long-range shooting to a staggering degree—they ranked 352nd out of 363 Division I teams in three-point attempts, with 15.5 3PA per game.

I want you to read that last sentence again, if you don’t mind. This team that employed two of the best passers in college basketball had fewer kickout options beyond the arc than all but 11 of the other 363 Men’s NCAA Division I basketball teams. Liberty’s Darius McGhee put up 11.4 3PA per game BY HIMSELF. Akron’s Xavier Castaneda and UConn’s Jordan Hawkins (who ranked eighth and ninth in three-point attempts, respectively) put up a combined 16.7 3PA per game.