What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Should trade up to 7 in that scenario and I don’t understand the Bilal love at 9.
Should trade up for Whitmore and Couliably in this scenario in the real draft.

Trades are going to be the big WTF factor in the draft this year. Could see some wild deals getting made as teams try to navigate the new CBA ahead of them.

Not that TJ has huge insight or that anything is set in stone... but it sounded like they would move up only if the cost is reasonable. Otherwise they are good at #9. Take that for what it is.

I think its reasonable. If we can move up to #4/5 to get Cam using only one future pick I think we do that or if its a shocking deal like when we moved up for Don where everyone was saying "that's it?!?"
nah, i think tony is wrong. i think the jazz would love to make a trade to move up for an unreasonable cost. unreasonable trades are the best. as a fan i just love when my team gets ripped off.

good grief - tj is like a troll account at this point, saying the most logical, obvious **** and acting like he has intel.

Here's a hypothetical... You can have any 2 of the consensus 4-8(Whitmore, Walker, Black, Amen, Ausar), but you have to give up #9, #16, LAL pick, 2025 CLE pick(unprotected), 2025 MIN pick(unprotected)

Q1: do you do it?
Q2: who are the 2 players you want to get?

JHS is going to be the dream playoff point guard. Switchable, intense defender who can guard 1-3 and probably play up to 4's and not get dump trucked on like Aaron Gordon was doing to certain Miami guards.
I’ve come around on him. Not sure he’s quite the athlete I want, but the size and length are intriguing. The shooting is good enough. The defense is solid. My favorite skill of his is still his decision making in the high pick and roll. He seems to have a high basketball IQ and a great feel for the game. Tbh - as long as we get a dynamic wing/forward from somewhere. . . I’d be happy with any of Black, JHS, Couliably, Wallace, Bufkin, Cissoko or George as another guard to throw into the mix. Let them compete and see how things go.

If we can't get into the top 7, then stay at 9 and get the 10 or 11 pick. I call it the pop the zit strategy. It could get messy but you could something nice out and some relief.

It seems like there isn't a player like that besides the Jazz don't have the leverage if they want to move up they would have to overpay. That can really hurt when the guy you wanted doesn't turn out how you thought he was. Look what happened we traded up for Trey Burke. I think the best thing about this draft is the depth. I see more solid players than superstars in this draft class. Jazz need talent more than one person.
yep, it sounds nice to say - man, if there is a guy they like who won't be there at 9, they should go get him! that sounds good, but the reality is teams are wrong way too often. the chances the guy taken at 6 or 7 is better than the guy taken at 9 are are so slim - chances are damn near as good that 9 will be better than 7 and it simply isn't worth the cost. the cost/benefit in that scenario is just completely out of whack.

Here's a hypothetical... You can have any 2 of the consensus 4-8(Whitmore, Walker, Black, Amen, Ausar), but you have to give up #9, #16, LAL pick, 2025 CLE pick(unprotected), 2025 MIN pick(unprotected)

nope. there is no guarantee any of those dudes are better than guys like hendricks, wallace, george, hood schifino, coulibaly, hawkins, leonard miller, bufkin, etc. in fact chances are very good any two of the guys i mentioned could be better than any two of 5 mentioned above. the price is simply too high for the odds of getting better players.

nope. there is no guarantee any of those dudes are better than guys like hendricks, wallace, george, hood schifino, coulibaly, hawkins, leonard miller, bufkin, etc. in fact chances are very good any two of the guys i mentioned could be better than any two of 5 mentioned above. the price is simply too high for the odds of getting better players.

Too much imo
OK, lets say despite your reservations... the Jazz do those trades... who do you want us to get out of those players?

That's a little tough. On the surface I want to say yes but Whitmore and Walker are my two favorite picks from that group but they both play the 3 and 4. With Lauri on the team you don't need both. So I think the best fit would be Jarace Walker and Amen Thompson. But you would really be banking on Amen developing a shot. That's a big question mark. If he doesn't, it also has the potential to really bog down the offense with Kessler.

I think I might ultimately pass on this just because to get the best value from this group would be to take Whitmore and Walker but the jazz don't have needs for both unless you think Whitmore can play the 2

Q1 - No. It’s too much to pay. Although, I’d be happy with trading to move up for Whitmore or Walker.

I’m not interested in trading up for Hendricks, Black, Amen or Ausur - although I’d pick whichever one of them falls to #9. . . even if I’m not entirely sold on all of them.

Q2 - Hypothetically speaking, I’d draft Whitmore and Walker. They’re the only two I really believe in from that list, and while that might seem like overkill on the 3/4 position. . . those roles seem to be the most challenging (and important) players to find nowadays. I’d personally love a roster of long, athletic, versatile wings & forwards that the Jazz can mix and match with.

Kessler, KO, Walker, Markkanen, Whitmore, Agbaji, Sexton and THT seems like a nice start to the rebuild and the Jazz would still be asset rich (swaps in 26/28 and three picks each in 27/29) to make another big move or to hunt for a starting point guard.

No. I would only want one of those players, I think they’re poor fits with one another. Also too steep. We also need homegrown talent at guard.

Whitmore is the only of that group that I would trade up to get in general (unless the price is shockingly cheap).