What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

No. I love the kid, but he’s a 2/3. I do like his ability to pass the ball, but he’s not a lead guard. He’s a guy that you draft to push Ochai for minutes and role. I see him as a potentially better version of Royce O’Neale. That’s more or less what I’d be hoping to get out of him.
Yeah but in the scenario we didn’t draft a point guard.

Man, that is maybe the perfect draft. Only thing that would make it better is more picks which I think are gettable (would Charlotte sell a 2nd for straight cash?).

I’m feeling really comfortable with Bufkin and Podz right now.
would be an incredible draft. get one swing for the fences guys, and two really good combo guard prospects. the only thing i don't like about it is they are sorta play the same positions. i'd kinda like to walk away with a big, a wing and a guard, but i definitely wouldn't turn that draft down.

OK, lets say despite your reservations... the Jazz do those trades... who do you want us to get out of those players?
i'd take whitmore and leonard miller.

miller will be available at 9, possibly at 16 too, so similar to cy, i'd be giving up all that for cam whitmore. he has a chance to be special, but also one of the higher bust potential dudes in the draft in my opinion, hence one of the reasons i couldn't pull the trigger.

Man, that is maybe the perfect draft. Only thing that would make it better is more picks which I think are gettable (would Charlotte sell a 2nd for straight cash?).

I’m feeling really comfortable with Bufkin and Podz right now.
I would be very happy with that draft. Would have gone Sidy, Max Lewis or TJD or some other route with 28 but Podz is a fine bet too... not worried about fit with the 28th pick.

Yeah but in the scenario we didn’t draft a point guard.
A.) Point guards get traded all the time. Jazz are asset rich and have a ton of cap space in a year that a LOT of teams are expected to make some big moves. We have no idea what types of deals are going to be available once free agency gets close, but they can go get one later if they want to.

B.) In the event the Jazz draft Ausur Thompson, I hope they at least try him at the 1. He’s been overshadowed by his brother in hype, but I actually like Ausur better and would try him as a lead guard given the current PG situation before I go throw more money or assets at the position. If it’s clear that he’s only a 2/3. . . fine. . . but it’s something worth considering.

Here's a hypothetical... You can have any 2 of the consensus 4-8(Whitmore, Walker, Black, Amen, Ausar), but you have to give up #9, #16, LAL pick, 2025 CLE pick(unprotected), 2025 MIN pick(unprotected)

Q1: do you do it?
Q2: who are the 2 players you want to get?
I would not do that. While we all get super hyped at draft time I think you look at some of the trend analysis and it will tell you 4-8 is not the panacea we think it could be. I'd rather have the 5 swings of the bat.

If I could have any two I'd go Whitmore and Amen.

this right here is why you don't trade up from 9 (or 16 to 12 or 13, really) unless you got an absolute killer deal. according to this, there is a bump at 5, so in general unless you can get into the top 5, you don't trade up from 9 or 10. i think in this draft the magic number is 3, but either way with all the trade up scenarios being mentioned, historically it simply doesn't pay to go from 9 to 6 or 7. also, this is just one analysis - easiest to read, but there are a few out there and they all basically say something similar

Last edited:
Ausar is my least favorite player out of the top-9 so that would be a little underwhelming to me.

One of Walker, Ausar and Hendricks will likely be available at #9. I wonder how the Jazz view Ausar.

Why would there be buzz about the Jazz taking Bilal (reported by Rafael Barlowe and Marc Stein) and almost no mention of Ausar?

Cy is slowly but surely wearing away my aversion to JHS. I’m scared.

As an excellent p&r PG he could potentially work well with Lauri and Kessler. Shooting still a concern though.

Cy is slowly but surely wearing away my aversion to JHS. I’m scared.

As an excellent p&r PG he could potentially work well with Lauri and Kessler. Shooting still a concern though.

JHS is a very good basketball player. The question for me is - can he be an efficient scorer?