What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Would Amen ever fall that far?

Even if he does… I still think I’d rather have Hendricks and Bufkin.. it’s close, but I really buy shooting and those 2 have proven they can knock it down with consistency.

Go watch Amen and get back to me. The draft would have to shake out a certain way, but it's quite possible that one of the Thompsons gets to 7, and Ausar cancelled his workout with Indiana yesterday.

It's possible that the Jazz can move up from 9 to 7 using a future pick, and hold onto 16. The Pacers have too many picks in this draft as it is.

Here is the circumstantial evidence that suggests that the Jazz may be able to move up to #7 to draft Amen, and if not Amen, then perhaps Black or Walker:

1) Houston is planning to add a veteran guard in free agency making it more likely that they'd pass on Amen at #4. Cam Whitmore is increasingly showing up in mock drafts going to Houston.
2) Detroit reportedly likes Jarace Walker and would strongly consider him there even if Whitmore were still available at #5. Since they've just used top-5 picks on Cade and Ivey, they're expected to pass on Amen.
3) Orlando would like to package their picks at #6 and #11 to move up into the top 4. However, Portland and Houston want established players rather than picks in potential trades. Orlando would thus be staying at #6, and given their need for shooting, could choose Ausar over Amen.
4) Ausar had a workout scheduled with Indiana, but cancelled it on short notice. There could be other reasons for cancelling, but it's possible Ausar has been told he's going to Orlando at #6.
5) Indiana worked out Gradey Dick yesterday, and their GM Kevin Pritchard took Gradey out to dinner last night after the workout. If Indiana likes Gradey enough to draft him, they could move back to #9 to take him. Taylor Hendricks, another player the Pacers may like, should also be available at 9 because...
6) Washington is expected to draft a guard. Washington worked out Anthony Black and their new GM took him out to dinner after their workout. A number of mock drafts have been projecting Black to Washington for weeks. Kobe Bufkin is another possibility for the Wizards at #8.
7) Utah is working out Anthony Black. It's possible that Black would be available to the Jazz at #9, but at least until recently he was expected to be gone by #8. Maybe the Jazz told Black's agent that they have a trade-up possibility.
8) Woj reported on ESPN today that the Jazz may be able to move up and get their guy depending on how the early draft unfolds. This could mean that Whitmore and Walker are gone by the time Indiana drafts at #7.

Now all of this could be thwarted if Houston just takes Amen Thompson at #4. Thompson worked out with Houston today. Or maybe the Jazz would still move up to #7 to take Jarace Walker or Anthony Black. However, the Pacers would have to be set on Taylor Hendricks or Gradey Dick enough to pass on Jarace Walker and let the Jazz take him. If the Pacers are prioritizing shooting, then this might make sense.

The ultimate tell will be if Amen Thompson agrees to workout for Utah next week before the draft.

Last edited:
Here is the circumstantial evidence that suggests that the Jazz may be able to move up to #7 to draft Amen, and if not Amen, then perhaps Black or Walker:

1) Houston is planning to add a veteran guard in free agency making it more likely that they'd pass on Amen at #4. Cam Whitmore is increasingly showing up in mock drafts going to Houston.
2) Detroit reportedly likes Jarace Walker and would strongly consider him there even if Whitmore were still available at #5. Since they've just used top-5 picks on Cade and Ivey, they're expected to pass on Amen.
3) Orlando would like to package their picks at #6 and #11 to move up into the top 4. However, Portland and Houston want established players rather than picks in potential trades. Orlando would thus be staying at #6, and given their need for shooting, could choose Ausar over Amen.
4) Ausar had a workout scheduled with Indiana, but cancelled it on short notice. There could be other reasons for cancelling, but it's possible Ausar has been told he's going to Orlando at #6.
5) Indiana worked out Gradey Dick yesterday, and their GM Kevin Pritchard took Gradey out to dinner last night after the workout. If Indiana likes Gradey enough to draft him, they could move back to #9 to take him. Taylor Hendricks, another player the Pacers may like, should also be available at 9 because...
6) Washington is expected to draft a guard. Washington worked out Anthony Black and their new GM took him out to dinner after their workout. A number of mock drafts have been projecting Black to Washington for weeks. Kobe Bufkin is another possibility for the Wizards at #8.
7) Utah is working out Anthony Black. It's possible that Black would be available to the Jazz at #9, but at least until recently he was expected to be gone by #8. Maybe the Jazz told Black's agent that they have a trade-up possibility.

Now all of this could be thwarted if Houston just takes Amen Thompson at #4. Thompson worked out with Houston today. Or maybe the Jazz would still move up to #7 to take Jarace Walker or Anthony Black. However, the Pacers would have to be set on Taylor Hendricks or Gradey Dick enough to pass on Jarace Walker and let the Jazz take him.

I really like where your head is at in this and it honestly makes a lot of sense for both sides. If we want Black we have to move up to 7 in my opinion.

Here is a couple quick top-9 mocks from me with a couple different scenarios if we traded up to 7:

1. SAS - Wemby
2. CHA - Scoot
3. POR - Miller
4. HOU - Amen
5. DET - Whitmore
6. ORL - Ausar
7. IND - Black (trade with UTA)
8. WAS - Bufkin/Wallace
9. UTA - Jarace/Hendricks (trade with IND)

1. SAS - Wemby
2. CHA - Scoot
3. POR - Miller
4. HOU - Whitmore
5. DET - Jarace
6. ORL - Ausar
7. IND - Amen (trade with UTA)
8. WAS - Black
9. UTA - Hendricks/Dick (trade with IND)

1. SAS - Wemby
2. CHA - Scoot
3. POR - Miller
4. HOU - Amen
5. DET - Whitmore
6. ORL - Ausar
7. IND - Jarace (trade with UTA)
8. WAS - Black
9. UTA - Hendricks/Dick (trade with IND)

I really like where your head is at in this and it honestly makes a lot of sense for both sides. If we want Black we have to move up to 7 in my opinion.

And duh, the other tea leaf is that Woj reported today that the Jazz may be able to move up and get their guy depending on how the early draft unfolds. I take this to mean that Whitmore and Walker are gone by the time Indiana drafts at #7.

And duh, the other tea leaf is that Woj reported today that the Jazz may be able to move up and get their guy depending on how the early draft unfolds. I take this to mean that Whitmore and Walker are gone by the time Indiana drafts at #7.

Ausar canceled his workout with Indiana though. I wonder what happens if he is there at 7.

Black, Walker or Thompson at 7 would be the right move for the Jazz, since we need playmaking. Hendricks or Dick would be the right move for the Pacers if their priority is shooting.

Black, Walker or Thompson at 7 would be the right move for the Jazz, since we need playmaking. Hendricks or Dick would be the right move for the Pacers if their priority is shooting.

I’m curious if Orlando would take Whitmore if he was there at 6 and I wonder what kind of offer we would put together for 6 if he was our guy. Houston could go Amen and Detroit could go Jarace.

If GG falls that far I’m grabbing him with both hands.
Meanwhile, both his hands qre occupied turning his Gatorade bong business into a conglomerate... ha ha ha.

Actually GG feels like a Danny Qinge pick. Littery talent overlooked due to character issues. Ainge has grabbed a lot of big characters with both hands over the years. Players others just wouldn't bring in to the locker room. Marcus smart punched several fans not too far after Ron artest did. Lots of folks didn't want smart for that one reason, me included. Trade 28 for the first pick in the second round and grab GG with no guaranteed money plus a future second.

I’m curious if Orlando would take Whitmore if he was there at 6 and I wonder what kind of offer we would put together for 6 if he was our guy. Houston could go Amen and Detroit could go Jarace.

Maybe. The Jazz could also be looking at a deal with Orlando. Ostensibly, the Magic also like Gradey Dick. They may have cooled on Hendricks since he's a 4. Indiana could throw a wrench though and take Gradey at #7 before Orlando drafts at #9.

At this point, teams are deciding who their guy is. We want teams to fall in love with Gradey Dick and Taylor Hendricks, since both are likely available at 9.

Meanwhile, both his hands qre occupied turning his Gatorade bong business into a conglomerate... ha ha ha.

Actually GG feels like a Danny Qinge pick. Littery talent overlooked due to character issues. Ainge has grabbed a lot of big characters with both hands over the years. Players others just wouldn't bring in to the locker room. Marcus smart punched several fans not too far after Ron artest did. Lots of folks didn't want smart for that one reason, me included. Trade 28 for the first pick in the second round and grab GG with no guaranteed money plus a future second.

Someone is going to need to babysit GG for the next 18 months. If the Jazz have the patience for it, he's a good pick.

Pacers have 3 late 1sts. Thise could be brokered or turned in to future picks / players. If I were Indiana and I wanted Dick and Hendricks, why not trade 3 late 1sts for a middle of the draft pick.

Would you trade 16 for for the 26, 29, and 32 picks? Take GG with the 32nd and flip the 28th and 29th picks for future firsts to teams hungry to get in the draft?

Not sure if this was posted anywhere but it was good enough to post again.

Andy Larsen tagged it. And I am a much bigger fan of Andy Larsen than Locke...

View: https://twitter.com/donyatesnba/status/1668768430592516098

It pretty much breaks down this guys picks for the 2nd tier being Walker, Whitmore, and Scoot. Some compelling arguments.

I am even more bullish on trading up now than I was. Whitmore if you can. If not, Walker. If thats what you get from the draft, then it was a good draft imho (regardless of rhe 16th pick).

Pacers have 3 late 1sts. Thise could be brokered or turned in to future picks / players. If I were Indiana and I wanted Dick and Hendricks, why not trade 3 late 1sts for a middle of the draft pick.

Would you trade 16 for for the 26, 29, and 32 picks? Take GG with the 32nd and flip the 28th and 29th picks for future firsts to teams hungry to get in the draft?

Orlando is expected to take Gradey at #11 if he's still available. If a team wants Gradey, they need to take him at 9 or 10, or they're taking their chances.