What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I can’t figure out why OKC was so aggressive in moving up to 10. Probably trying to block another team I guess but Dallas wants Lively… Orlando just took Black so doubt they were gonna go Wallace… why take on 22M of dead salary to get a guy you likely we’re gonna get? Did they think we’d move up? Weird.

Agree to disagree. He played the role he was asked to play but I saw him show more.

It did a BIT of everything not a lot of everything after all

Maybe you're right. I think he's a 3D guy, like the PF version of Ochai. I think that's the role the Jazz envision him playing. Guess we'll soon find out. If he can do more, then cool.

I can’t figure out why OKC was so aggressive in moving up to 10. Probably trying to block another team I guess but Dallas wants Lively… Orlando just took Black so doubt they were gonna go Wallace… why take on 22M of dead salary to get a guy you likely we’re gonna get? Did they think we’d move up? Weird.

Their philosophy may be that if you want to get your guy, you go and secure him at any reasonable cost. Lots of teams wanted to trade with Dallas for #10. Maybe they just didn't feel like taking chances.

They were trying to trade up to get Bilal, but Washington scooped him up. Cason must have been next on their big board I'm guessing. Maybe Presti got spooked after what happened with Bilal, or maybe the had Intel someone else was trying to trade up.

I was a big Cam fan. It seems some haven't seen this yet. According to David Aldridge:

“At the Hoops Summit, Whitmore was not a practice-type player and didn’t look very good during the week. But once he played, he was one of the better players in the game. That’s going to have to change at the NBA level. He’s going to have to exert some effort, some ability and skill level in practice for a head coach to put him in a game. He’s not going to be guaranteed minutes like he probably was at Villanova.”

He hates practicing and doesn't put in any effort outside of games
Ryan Smith and Justin Zanik were quite clear in their post draft interviews that we want players with good characters.

Ryan mentioned he was having a half an hour chat with Hendricks while he was here for the workout.

So i think this practice issue with Cam is definitely a no go for the Jazz.

It sets a bad tone for the team as a whole and we risk instilling bad habit for other players too.

The Mavs played last night really well. Moved off of Bertans, got Lively who they wanted. Took on less salary and more production with Holmes and picked up Oliver MP for their troubles.

If Cam fell just because of personality issues that is going to come back to haunt us. Being shy or anxious or awkward may make it harder to be a vocal leader, but it doesn’t make you bad at basketball.

It is easy to read the tea leaves if you know the organization will not lie but will just hesitate to say anything and pause at worst. We got a lot of that around the topic of Black running up to the draft.

Maybe I missed it being noted earlier, but Tony Jones said in his ESPN700 interview that Black was the clear #1 target for moving up in the draft.
Which is strange cos I read somewhere we weren’t gonna pick anyone who can’t shoot… that or Blacks shooting is now legit.

This is what’s driving me kinda nuts. The Jazz were kinda singularly the most flagrant in their passing on Whitmore since they did it twice (and later than the Magic).

Listened to Vecenie on Russillo today and they were both just dumbfounded and called out the Jazz specifically. I’m pretty much back to just… how the **** did we do that? P3 says Whitmore is the most like Anthony Edwards in their database and if he gets a shoulder on someone driving then it’s done.

We can sit here and say he’s comatose in an interview or maybe he has a leg with question marks or he did a bad job in workouts, but when he takes the floor he competes and is on another level as a specimen.

Keyonte and Hendricks better be ****ing awesome cuz there is very much a chance that Whitmore makes 10-15 teams look like fools.
I understand the sentiment, but leading up to the draft we were all talking about his lack of bball IQ and passing. Combine that with an apparent aversion to practice, questionable character and possible medical red flags and I have no issue anymore with passing on him. Just depending on talent rarely makes a player a winning player in the NBA. I’d much rather ride with Keyonte, who may have some questions about his game too, but not about his work ethic and character.
Like all these guys, Cam is young and may mature. I wish him all the best and he may prove us all wrong. But in the end I like that the Jazz also draft for character, because I think that’s a very important quality for a winning player and team.

I understand the sentiment, but leading up to the draft we were all talking about his lack of bball IQ and passing. Combine that with an apparent aversion to practice, questionable character and possible medical red flags and I have no issue anymore with passing on him. Just depending on talent rarely makes a player a winning player in the NBA. I’d much rather ride with Keyonte, who may have some questions about his game too, but not about his work ethic and character.
Like all these guys, Cam is young and may mature. I wish him all the best and he may prove us all wrong. But in the end I like that the Jazz also draft for character, because I think that’s a very important quality for a winning player and team.
Exactly. There's enough out I now feel comfortable passing on Cam. All the talent in the world means nothing without work ethic to back up.

Exactly. There's enough out I now feel comfortable passing on Cam. All the talent in the world means nothing without work ethic to back up.
Ya. I dont think anyone was higher on Cam than i was or more pissed that we passed on him at 16 than I was but im at the point now where i think it was the right move to pass on him twice. Still scared he gets it together and becomes a star but if he doesn't like to work then i doubt that happens.

Their philosophy may be that if you want to get your guy, you go and secure him at any reasonable cost. Lots of teams wanted to trade with Dallas for #10. Maybe they just didn't feel like taking chances.
Also I bet at some point they use Bertans salary to facilitate a trade.