What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I flip flop on Black by the day or even half. Watched the Miss St game last night and the dude is so confusing.

Love his size and handle for the size but he's been pegged as a great defender and as many times you show him doing well on that end you can also show him being lost and leaving his feet too often. He is someone you really have to project what he can be with good coaching and development. He's still in my top 15 but it goes from like 6th to 15th sometimes by the possession with him.
Don’t lose faith, my friend. Black is the answer.

But seriously, I get your point. That Miss State game had all the good and bad. I just feel that if you can get a wing sized ballhandler/playmaker, especially with his apparent character and work ethic, you almost have to go for it (and hope he’s not the second coming of DedEx).

The common high upside comp (once you accept that he is probably best in a non primary role) that guys like Black usually get are Igoudala.
I think he has the handle and passing to run a team... whether that is a primary or not in today's NBA I'm not sure. I think he will be on ball a lot more than Iggy (also doesn't have Iggy's amazing athleticism). If he is playing more on the wing I'd guess it looks similar to what Franz is like or something like that I guess.

Here is where I stand today. Dudes still moving a lot by the game/day:

1: Wemby
2: Amen
3: Scoot
4: Miller
5: Ausar
6: Keyonte
7: Walker
8: Wallace
9: Hendricks
10: GG
11: Leonard Miller
12: Black
13: Jett
14: Nick Smith Jr
15: Hawkins
16: Whitmore
17: Dick
18: Sensabaugh
19: Filipowski
20: Hood-Shifinio
21: Maxwell Lewis
22: Kris Murray
23: Ware
24: Clowney
25: Whitehead
26: Sasser
27: Terrance Shannon
28: Rupert
29: Jackson-Davis
30: Colby Jones

I think he has the handle and passing to run a team... whether that is a primary or not in today's NBA I'm not sure. I think he will be on ball a lot more than Iggy (also doesn't have Iggy's amazing athleticism). If he is playing more on the wing I'd guess it looks similar to what Franz is like or something like that I guess.
I think Black might be more athletic than you are giving him credit for. A lot of these guys look much more athletic in the NBA due to the spacing and just the physical maturation process. Black has a great frame and he isnt someone who is physically mature yet.

Also Iggy was a much more on-ball player in Philly than he was GS. He was a wing/guard who averaged 6+ APG many seasons.

If Black is a floor general in the NBA it will be a little surprising to me. He can bring the ball up and make plays but to ask him to run the team, seems unlikely.
I don't see a highly creative ball handler that can break down defenses enough to have that job.
I think he is master of nothing and decent at everything all at the same time, so he would be a nice pickup for us to develop,
if he slides to the late teens and we are sitting there having taken somone that fits elsewhere.
But he is probably going late lottery.
I do like the idea of him being better defensively down the road than he is now, and improving his overall game.
I see 3rd option role player on a good team fringe 2nd option with improvements.

why so high on Leonard Miller,Jalen Hood and Clowney? Is this a mock or a big board?
I have Colby Jones, Sasser ,Murray and NSJ as locks to go before them in the draft, and defititely don't rank Miller higher than Jett on a big board if thats what this is even though he does have a lot of potential, more than some of those higher floor likely to get drafted before him options like Jones and Sasser etc.
So whats the logic?

Here is an Official Ferguson Mellochill Draft Lottery, as of the All Star Break, with Comps and Median Outcome Expectations....

I'm assuming the Jazz are going to have two picks in the lottery. If that's not the case I'll dig deeper on the guys who I think should go later in the 1st Round.

1 Victor Wembanayma -- No reasonable comp, other than this is what people were dreaming that Porzingis might be like -- 21p / 11r / 3a / 3.5b / 1.4s
2 Scoot Henderson -- Comps to Derrick Rose/Donovan Mitchell, but needs to work on his shooting and pick his spots -- 23p / 3r / 8a / 2s
3 Amen Thompson -- Comps somewhat to John Wall, but with less scoring; needs to solidify his shooting form and be able to hit from key spots or defenders will leave him -- 17p / 5r / 6a / 2s with elite defense
4 GG Jackson -- Could develop into a player like Pascal Siakam with more shift and less passing; already has a floor as a more active Jeff Green type; needs time to develop -- 18p / 6.5r / 1.8a / 1b / 1s
5 Keyonte George -- Comps to a healthy, 2-way Markell Fultz as a prospect; solid on-ball/off-ball guard with three-level scoring, adequate playmaking and defense -- 16p / 3.5r / 5a / 1s (in a lead guard role)
6 Jarace Walker -- Has the potential to become functionally similar to Jimmy Butler if his 2-way game flourishes (though he's a forward); worth investing in -- 14p / 6r / 2.8a / 1.2s
7 Cam Whitmore -- Comps to Miles Bridges, but with a more explosive first step on drives; elite 3D wing with defensive disruption -- 15p / 6r / 1a / 1.4s
8 Brandon Miller -- Comps to a Nic Batum or bigger Khris Middleton depending on usage; floor-spacing big wing who knocks down shots off the catch and can create off of close-outs -- 15p / 6r / 4a / 1s
9 Ausur Thompson -- Offensive development is a work in progress, but has the physical tools and talent to become comparable to DeRozan on offense, plus be elite defensively -- 14p / 5r / 2a with elite defense
10 Brice Sensabaugh -- He's likely the best iso-scorer and might be the best pure scorer in the draft; he looks a bit one-dimensional at the moment, but should round out the top 10 if he can show some passing and adequate defense in workouts -- Numbers depend entirely on usage and role (ask Cam Thomas)
11 Jett Howard -- Comps to Tyler Herro; mobile shooting wing with size and a quick release; able to hunt shots all over the floor and secondary playmake; defense is a ??? -- 15p / 3r / 3a
12 Anthony Black -- Has positional value as a high-energy, 2-way big guard; can play on the ball some and can guard point of attack; probably won't be on the ball to close games -- 12p / 5r / 3.5a / 2s

13 Nick Smith -- I'm giving him the benefit of several doubts here, including health and the ability to strengthen his body; comps to Jordan Clarkson as a shifty scoring combo -- 14p / 3r / 3a
14 Taylor Hendricks -- Comps to the more polished version of Jerami Grant; able to knock down shots from a standstill, but limited off the dribble currently; secondary rim protector; good rim finisher -- 12p / 7r / 2a

Next two guys would probably be Cason Wallace and Gradey Dick.

Last edited:
From this board, who would you say are the best perimeter defenders?
The Twins have the defensive upside.

Brandon Miller should be a versatile wing defenders, but not a guy you want on quick guards. Same with Black

Cason Wallace is probably the best college guard defender out of the lottery guys. Marcus Sasser is another really good college guard defender, but he is smaller.

Walker probably has the best defensive versatility that can switch out to the perimeter.

Guys like Jordan Walsh, Rayan Rupert, Jaylen Clark, Jaime Jacquez, Julian Philips. Those are all good length defenders, but most of them aren't considered 1st rounders.

Andre Jackson Jr might be the best defender in college basketball but he shoots like Ben Simmons

Great video about Wemby and his potential impact on the NBA, and potential risks in drafting him.

I don't watch much college, and literally none of the other weird league that is going on, so I am not seeing more than highlights and what you all post here, so I wondered if Amen's shot is developing. I like what I have seen of his game, except his shot is pretty suspect. Is it improving?