What's new

2023 Trade Rumors and Gossip Involving the Jazz

I like lauri-luka-Kessler trio but I fear it won’t be enough to win a title
Didn’t Dallas get to the west finals with Luka Brunson before he broke out and Dinwiddie And not much else?

Imagine a coordinated Gobert being set up by Luka. And Markkanen operating with room and not being hounded by 2 defenders clawing and scratching every time he touches the ball because he’s not the vocal point of the defense. That’s a championship level trio to build around.

The mavs would 100% demand Kessler and ochai...probably 3 picks and then fillers..... and then I'd hang up

how about we go after luka and giannis imagine a line up of lauri luka giannis kessler that would go close to a title

I disagree with this. The Jazz were in the bottom third off passes made and top third in average amount of time per touch. They were not moving the ball around a lot compared to the rest of the league.
I was a bit curious, so I looked this up. While technically correct, this is extremely misleading. The difference in the amount of passes made per game from the Jazz to a top third team was much, MUCH closer than Utah and the bottom rung teams like Atlanta and Lakers. Further, the difference between Utah and a team like Memphis was much closer than a team like Dallas. So yeah, Utah does move the ball. Not as much as other teams like GSW, but it gets moved around. Utah is basically average in these metrics.

Passing: https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/passing?SeasonType=Regular Season&dir=D&sort=PASSES_MADE
Time per touch avg: https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/touches?SeasonType=Regular Season&dir=D&sort=AVG_SEC_PER_TOUCH

The mavs would 100% demand Kessler and ochai...probably 3 picks and then fillers..... and then I'd hang up

I would do that trade. As for the picks i would trade them our own rather than cavs or wolves picks. We would be really good so our picks would suck plus i LOVE having other teams picks. So fun to root against and follow those teams.

They will want more picks doe unfortunately. 3 isnt enough to get it done. Twolves gave us a better package for gobert. Luka >>>>>>>>>>>>> gobert. Cavs gave us a better package for Don. Luka >>>>>> don.

Last edited:
I have no idea why, but wanting to trade for Luka just scares the Mtn Dew out of me. Any package for the dude is probably going to set some of historical precedence (as it likely should, this is Donkey after all), but it's also going to take at least two of Kessler, Lauri, and Ochai. I'm all for going to get the dude if your team can feasibly do it. But in that sort of deal, we're going to trade our future and sort of roster construction for the Mavericks and, frankly, I'd rather keep our team and future. Trading for a Luka should involve assets you are able to part with, personnel wise, for him being the final part of a puzzle. We just don't those organic assets to spare yet, IMO.

Last edited:
how about we go after luka and giannis imagine a line up of lauri luka giannis kessler that would go close to a title
Dallas would care about picks above all else and Utah has the best picks. Players like Walker aren't necessary

Dallas would care about picks above all else and Utah has the best picks. Players like Walker aren't necessary
Bold prediction… people think we about to cash in picks this offseason… we gonna accumulate a couple more instead. I think we are still playing the asset accumulation/slow build mode for a year. We make some bets on buy low guys and use our space to help massage a few deals… may poke around a few young free agents but the time to strike is still a little ways off.

Bold prediction… people think we about to cash in picks this offseason… we gonna accumulate a couple more instead. I think we are still playing the asset accumulation/slow build mode for a year. We make some bets on buy low guys and use our space to help massage a few deals… may poke around a few young free agents but the time to strike is still a little ways off.
I dont think it happens this offseason. If we get Luka it will be in 2025.

I still think we ultimately end up with a similar season to this past season where we end up trading players off to tank.

I was a bit curious, so I looked this up. While technically correct, this is extremely misleading. The difference in the amount of passes made per game from the Jazz to a top third team was much, MUCH closer than Utah and the bottom rung teams like Atlanta and Lakers. Further, the difference between Utah and a team like Memphis was much closer than a team like Dallas. So yeah, Utah does move the ball. Not as much as other teams like GSW, but it gets moved around. Utah is basically average in these metrics.

Passing: https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/passing?SeasonType=Regular Season&dir=D&sort=PASSES_MADE
Time per touch avg: https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/touches?SeasonType=Regular Season&dir=D&sort=AVG_SEC_PER_TOUCH

Well, I don’t know a better way to describe being top third/bottom third in certain metrics than saying it. Anyone with a semblance of understanding of statistics a normal bell curve like distribution. Never did I say that they were the least ball movement heavy team and if you misinterpreted that, it’s on you. I can’t be responsible for people thinking that top third = top 3.

In any case, this idea that we’re an extremely ball movement focused team is not true at all.

Last edited:
I dont think it happens this offseason. If we get Luka it will be in 2025.

I still think we ultimately end up with a similar season to this past season where we end up trading players off to tank.
I don’t think we tank actually… I just don’t see a big benefit… target making the play in and if you miss just send the pick. If the college season starts and the draft looks better I may change my opinion. I think we look at bad salary like Duncan Robinson, badish salary like John Collins, and one year bad salary like Joe Harris for bounce back projects while getting draft assets. Hint around the young free agents for an opportunity like Cam Johnson if the salary gets too rich for Brooklyn or Grant Williams types. I could also see us sign a few guys like Derrick Jones Jr. to mid salaries and develop assets that way. Don’t think we will actively look to get worse like we did this year unless the draft gets really frothy.

All of that changes if the right FA or trade materializes… like we will be ready for that but I see us as gathering more rather than forcing a winning deal… which we may do in the 2024-25 season.

Well, I don’t know a better way to describe being top third/bottom third in certain metrics than saying it. Anyone with a semblance of understanding of statistics a normal bell curve like distribution. Never did I say that they were the least ball movement heavy team and if you misinterpreted that, it’s on you. I can’t be responsible for people thinking that top third = top 3.

In any case, this idea that we’re an extremely ball movement focused team is not true at all.
But our target is to be one of the best ball-movement teams, and it ain't gonna happen with Luka.

But our target is to be one of the best ball-movement teams, and it ain't gonna happen with Luka.

I think our target is to be good on offense.

If you think he's annoying, the pricetag is too much, or he won't be traded at all that's one thing, but we're kidding ourselves if we think Luka would not be an outstanding fit as a player here. Luka+Lauri is like pairing the best QB and the best WR in the league.

If we garner one of the top 4 picks this year, do you trade it for Luka?

If so, where do you draw the line? Keep it if it's 1/2, trade if it's 3/4?

I think you'd have to seriously consider trading it if it got you a player like Luka. Even if it's Wemby. Luka is a known value, which just happens to be top 5 talent. Even Wemby at this point is just potential. Future value if you will, and uncertain future value at that.

If we garner one of the top 4 picks this year, do you trade it for Luka?

If so, where do you draw the line? Keep it if it's 1/2, trade if it's 3/4?

I think you'd have to seriously consider trading it if it got you a player like Luka. Even if it's Wemby. Luka is a known value, which just happens to be top 5 talent. Even Wemby at this point is just potential. Future value if you will, and uncertain future value at that.

If it’s just the pick straight across for Luka I would trade 1-4 for him. I’d assume we’d have to add more if it was 2-4 though.