What's new

2023 Trade Rumors and Gossip Involving the Jazz

This would be important because Hardy spent a lot of time with him in San Antonio and saw him up close both on the court as well as in the locker room. Hardy would know better than anyone whether he would be a good fit or not.
Which is why if we did get him we should be excited.

They don't control their pick next year so no incentive
There’s other stuff beyond tanking… so they extend Pascal and OG primarily? The group is going to get expensive to keep together if they keep FVV, Pascal, OG, Poeltl. Barnes only a couple years left on the rookie deal. I just don’t see how they mostly run it back… just one of the big teams to watch.

Sure I'd take Murray but Hawksquawk (FWIW) seems to believe if he's dealt it would be part of a package for a KAT or Jaylen Brown. ATL just gave up a big package of picks for him last year.
Yeah the Hawks fans are irrational. We learned this last offseason. They gave up a protected meh first plus two unprotected picks and a swap.

Yeah the Hawks fans are irrational. We learned this last offseason. They gave up a protected meh first plus two unprotected picks and a swap.
Murray has one year left… so they can get half that imo… they also have a huge cap conundrum… hawks fans will end up hating the next move they do… I promise.

It feels like the Raptors have enough pieces to put together a nice team still. They need to trade some of their wings for guys with actual basketball skills, but I'm sure there are plenty of teams, including the Jazz who would love to trade with them.

At this point I want to hear rumors of the Jazz working a trade with Detroit. I want that #5.

A front line of Kessler, Markkanen and Whitmore gets me excited.

Take JHS at #16

Then free agency becomes rounding out the roster. Nazz reid

JHS, Dunn
Ogbaji, Sexton
Whitmore, fontecchio
Markkanen
Kessler, Reid

Those are the two I would love to see us get also. Would love to get JHS and Whitmore.

From The Athletics John Hollinger about Clarkson's free agency:

Clarkson has a player option for $14.2 million that he is likely to decline and hit unrestricted free agency … that is, unless the Jazz decide to get funky.

Because Utah is so far below the salary cap for the coming season, one option for the Jazz would be to have Clarkson opt in and then immediately renegotiate and extend his deal to put a large cap number on the books for 2023-24 and much smaller ones in the extension years. At Clarkson’s age, a two-year extension probably makes more sense than three years, but they could get the number low enough that even three would be a huge positive (not to mention highly tradeable).

For instance, let’s say the Jazz and Clarkson determine he’s worth $65 million over the next four years. The standard way to do this might be to sign a contract that starts at roughly $15 million and contains 8 percent raises.

The more creative way to do this, however, would be for Clarkson to opt in then wait until the third anniversary of his contact signing, which because of the COVID-19 year isn’t until Nov. 23. He would then be renegotiate-and-extend eligible.

At that point, the Jazz would use $10 million of their cap room to boost his 2023-24 salary to $24.2 million. It would be tough to use much more than this; the Jazz need to at least spend up to the salary floor by opening day or face additional penalties in the new CBA, so the maximum amount they would want to stay under for the purposes of this contract is $13.4 million.

By rule, his salary for 2024-25 is allowed to drop by a maximum of 40 percent, to $14.5 million. Then they would decrease it by the maximum allowable 8 percent the next two seasons, to $13.4 million in 2025-26 and $12.2 million in 2026-27. Over the four years, Clarkson would make his $65 million, but Utah would have front-loaded the money to minimize the impact on its cap.

Or, Clarkson could just opt out and sign someplace else.

Hollinger also said this about Dillon Brooks which caused me to throw up in my mouth a little.

Brooks should be an attractive target for cap room teams such as Houston, Detroit and Utah who need a defensive stopper and have the ability to go above the midlevel exception on a multi-year deal.

From The Athletics John Hollinger about Clarkson's free agency:

Hollinger also said this about Dillon Brooks which caused me to throw up in my mouth a little.
I'll take Dillon Brooks!! I'm buying that he was a scapegoat for Memphis last year. Excellent defender maybe Will Hardy can be his whisperer

I'll take Dillon Brooks!! I'm buying that he was a scapegoat for Memphis last year. Excellent defender maybe Will Hardy can be his whisperer
Brooks could be a very nice low risk/high reward candidate on the right deal, like say a 1+1 w/ a TO. If he can get his act together, Utah had a good wing with a TO. If not, release or trade him for the expiring deal.

If JC and THT leave, that changes the picture quite a bit. Surely Trader Dan would try and get them in sign and trades to get something in return.

Brooks could be a very nice low risk/high reward candidate on the right deal, like say a 1+1 w/ a TO. If he can get his act together, Utah had a good wing with a TO. If not, release or trade him for the expiring deal.
He doesn't really need to get his act together all that much. If he wants to be a loud mouth **** talker that everyone hatesit's not really an issue. The thing with Brooks is that he just takes too many bad shots. He plays his *** off on D though and if he has to be the way he is for that too happen that's not a big deal in my book as long as he isn't taking bad shots.

Given the scorched earth approach we took at the deadline, I'd be surprised if we didn't at least try to retain JC. Surely he had some sort of trade value, a rash of 2nd round picks if nothing else, and if Danny didn't want him in the fold I bet he would've taken that vs. keep him around.

He doesn't really need to get his act together all that much. If he wants to be a loud mouth **** talker that everyone hatesit's not really an issue. The thing with Brooks is that he just takes too many bad shots. He plays his *** off on D though and if he has to be the way he is for that too happen that's not a big deal in my book as long as he isn't taking bad shots.
He needs to reign it in a bit… he went through his Draymond Green dick punching period so maybe he’s ready to control the chaos a bit.

It’s a no for me cuz I can’t stand him but I’d get it if we did.

Given the scorched earth approach we took at the deadline, I'd be surprised if we didn't at least try to retain JC. Surely he had some sort of trade value, a rash of 2nd round picks if nothing else, and if Danny didn't want him in the fold I bet he would've taken that vs. keep him around.
JC is a better trade asset right now… hang with me here…

Any team with interest and any team he’d have interest in would likely need us to work with them on some sort of sign and trade. 2 options…

Full sign and trade but would require the acquirer to be hard capped and all that BS.

Second option and this is what I think happens… he opts in with the understanding we have agreed to move him somewhere he wants to be. We take back an expiring or bad salary and get something for our trouble. He extends with his new team who is not hard capped. Everyone wins.

Sure I'd take Murray but Hawksquawk (FWIW) seems to believe if he's dealt it would be part of a package for a KAT or Jaylen Brown. ATL just gave up a big package of picks for him last year.
Well they might lose him for nothing in a year, too, so that’s a factor.