What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

You don’t know how good or bad they are either. I’m pushing back on the idea that they are all the same… just like there are coaches and teachers that are of different quality. There may be heavy investment there… but just like Miami paying spo 11-12m and Detroit paying Monty 11-12M there may be a difference. While I don’t think any team could get Spo by overpaying… I think you might be able to get the best training and dev staff by doing it… and the overpay might be a worthwhile investment. This is not a jazz specific complaint of any kind… we are apparently bought into the snake oil cuz we have one of these guys on staff.

We assume these guys are doing it perfectly just like we assume they can’t **** up the math.
For what its worth I think you are absolutely correct in the fact that the quality of experts in any niche area of expertise varies greatly. Sport coaches are also notorious for odd and quirky methodology, and more often than not their methodology is based on experience and belief rather than some extensive scientific research.

Even if we would ignore methodology we could still stay that getting players to buy in and motivating them to work on the craft alone is something that some people are just much better at than others. Plus it wasnt too long ago, when these NBA shooting coaches were often trying to force everyones shooting form towards one perfect mold, until guys like Steph made them realize that natural form is a thing.

We are always looking for the big guard with handle, play making chops, defense and shooting. It looks to me that Castle can do a lot of that if he develops. Guys like him make rosters fit even if they don’t become stars. Think he ends up top 7-8 and those mocks putting him in the teens are dumb.

We are always looking for the big guard with handle, play making chops, defense and shooting. It looks to me that Castle can do a lot of that if he develops. Guys like him make rosters fit even if they don’t become stars. Think he ends up top 7-8 and those mocks putting him in the teens are dumb.
I don't understand why JaKobe Walter is mocked ahead of him in pretty much every mock draft. I don't dislike Walter as a prospect but for me Castle is the better player now and long term prospect.

I don't understand why JaKobe Walter is mocked ahead of him in pretty much every mock draft. I don't dislike Walter as a prospect but for me Castle is the better player now and long term prospect.
I haven't watched Walter but he seems like the type of dude I hate. One of those "bucket getters" that isn't good at anything else and then you look at the shooting percentages and you want to kill yourself.

Because Walter is a prototypical 2-guard who dominated HS basketball in Texas. His counting stats might not jump out at first, but he has a great ratio of shots. Not many players have his 3pt rate and free throw rate.

I'm struggling a bit with Sarr. As far as comps you see like Jaren Jackson Jr. thrown out there. I don't see the shooting per se. KOC also says shades of Jonathan Isaac. I can see that. What are some others? We looking at like a longer Bam? Deandre Ayton but with a brain transplant that makes him try really hard and play smart?

I think he is #1 on my board... I'm more open to a high level big since Walker's struggles.

I haven't watched Walter but he seems like the type of dude I hate. One of those "bucket getters" that isn't good at anything else and then you look at the shooting percentages and you want to kill yourself.
I don't think you would hate him but he's similar to Key last year where he takes too many tough shots. If we end up drafting him I wouldn't hate it but I have him at 13 on my big board right now.

Walter won the Texas state championship as a junior as the best player iirc then he switched to a Missouri private school and won a national title there as well.

I'm not a HS scout person at all, but the people who are viewed Walter as the best HS player.

I don't think you would hate him but he's similar to Key last year where he takes too many tough shots. If we end up drafting him I wouldn't hate it but I have him at 13 on my big board right now.
I didn't like George much. Walter late lotto makes more sense than top 7-8 imo. Key at least got more assists and had the ankle injury thing that could explain some of his issues. I was wrong there.

I'm struggling a bit with Sarr. As far as comps you see like Jaren Jackson Jr. thrown out there. I don't see the shooting per se. KOC also says shades of Jonathan Isaac. I can see that. What are some others? We looking at like a longer Bam? Deandre Ayton but with a brain transplant that makes him try really hard and play smart?

I think he is #1 on my board... I'm more open to a high level big since Walker's struggles.

If he really hits then I think he can be a Chris Bosh type of player.

The thing with Walter is he is known as a good defender. That at least gives him a serviceable skill. His shot was falling early but has got really bad.

He would not be the worst option but there are others I like a lot more.

If history is any indication who ever I dislike the Jazz will draft and they will be good.

The thing with Walter is he is known as a good defender. That at least gives him a serviceable skill. His shot was falling early but has got really bad.

If history is any indication who ever I dislike the Jazz will draft and they will be good.
Despite Walters struggles to hit shotsat times, he has a 5.0 OBPM as the leader scoring on a top 20 ranked team.

I think he's supposed to be Evan Mobley.

Again... havent watched him other than a few highlights so I don't actually have a read myself... but I think I recall some reports of him being a bad defender or like below average. If that is incorrect (which it totally could be) then I'd prolly have a higher opinion of him.

If Walter plays the type of defense that he showed in high school, then he could be comparable to a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, which is a very valuable player archetype. Keep in mind, it took KCP several years to really become consistent. He was pretty middling in his early years in Detroit.

If Walter doesn't play defense like people think he's capable of, then he's more like a Buddy Hield-type shooter. Walter is considerably younger than Hield when Hield was drafted, but Walter hasn't shown that level of consistency.

This whole draft maybe eye-of-the-beholder, but I could see Walter slipping into the teens due to inconsistency. That's what happened with Keyonte last year.

Last edited:
I think it was Cy that mentioned Chomche as a potential riser towards the draft. Chomche's combination of physical tools and apparent competitive drive should be enough to get him picked by the mid-1st round, even if he is a bit of a project. If you go back and dig up what Alonzo Mourning looked like at the same age, Chomche's game actually looks a bit more put together. It's enough to make me wonder if Chomche's reported age of barely 18 is really accurate.