What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Walter won the Texas state championship as a junior as the best player iirc then he switched to a Missouri private school and won a national title there as well.

I'm not a HS scout person at all, but the people who are viewed Walter as the best HS player.
HS pedigree holds weight with NBA talent evaluators too. Some guys are better NBA players than college players and he might be one of them.

I think it was Cy that mentioned Chomche as a potential riser towards the draft. Chomche's combination of physical tools and apparent competitive drive should be enough to get him picked by the mid-1st round, even if he is a bit of a project. If you go back and dig up what Alonzo Mourning looked like at the same age, Chomche's game actually looks a bit more put together. It's enough to make me wonder if Chomche's reported age of barely 18 is really accurate.
He seems like the exact player that Presti would target to try and finish off his front court. I don't know if I see Zo but I do see a bit of a young Bam Adebayo which would be terrifying paired with Chet Holmgren defensively.

I watched much of the Utah/Colorado game last night. Cody Williams was back in the lineup, but he didn't start, didn't do all that much and didn't look healthy coming back from an ankle injury. I wonder if he could slip a few spots.

So say we ended up #9 and a team like Memphis (or another team that wants to win now) wins the lotto. If we put together #9, Kessler, and another pick is that enough to jump to #1 and take Sarr? I wonder if there are some 3 team scenarios we could work too. If teams are really this "meh" about the top of the draft I think we should push some chips in to move up if possible.

So say we ended up #9 and a team like Memphis (or another team that wants to win now) wins the lotto. If we put together #9, Kessler, and another pick is that enough to jump to #1 and take Sarr? I wonder if there are some 3 team scenarios we could work too. If teams are really this "meh" about the top of the draft I think we should push some chips in to move up if possible.

I don't think Kessler and #9 would get #1, no. That package might get #7 or maybe #6 if someone is excited about Kessler.

I don't think Kessler and #9 would get #1, no. That package might get #7 or maybe #6 if someone is excited about Kessler.
Yeah I think Kessler is worth more than that. Don’t think he’d get us to 1 with 9 but wondering if another pick on top would work. Normally it’s no way but I could see some teams willing to move out of top 2-3.

Would be interested to see peoples current big boards through lottery.

My Jazz-centric board right now would look something like this:
1- Topic
2- Williams
3- Sarr
4- Holland
5- Risacher
6- Buzelis
7- Sheppard
8- Knecht
9- Chomche (aka Little Richie)
10- Salaun
11- Filipowski
12- Castle
13/14- Walter/Furphy/Smith

What the Jazz really need is an "advantage creator," and I think Topic is certain to be one of the top advantage creators in this draft. Cody Williams and Ron Holland can probably develop in that direction as well, but it'll take some work.
I'm not confident in Risacher's ability to beat NBA defenders off the dribble, though he may have some potential to work off of screens that he hasn't shown much of yet.
Buzelis is interesting as a long wing who can secondary playmake, but he too will need someone else to help create space for him.
Sheppard and Knecht are bankable as scorers, but Sheppard is a bit small and Knecht struggles defensively.
I think drafting Chomche in this draft might be comparable to drafting Rudy Gobert in 2013. He's got tools and drive, and that's a nice place to start.
I'd feel better about Salaun if I'd seen him dribble and change directions both at the same time. He'll probably get taken before Chomche, but I think center is a glaring position of need for the Jazz.
Filipowski has some defensive limitations that limit his appeal. Offensively, he's a modern center. Defensively, he might be Cody Zeller.
Castle can handle and self-create, and that's appealing when you add that on top of his defense. He needs his shooting to come together to have top-10 upside, imo.
Walter projects as a wing shooter. Efficiency is the question.
Tyler Smith is a lottery-caliber stretch big who might have more in-between game than he's shown in the G-league. He doesn't always play hard though.

Dillingham is a talent, but he has defensive limitations and limited impact when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. I'm not confident the Jazz would draft him.
Also, the Jazz tend to push the pace, and stylistically I'm not sure that's a fit for Clingan.

Last edited:
Again... havent watched him other than a few highlights so I don't actually have a read myself... but I think I recall some reports of him being a bad defender or like below average. If that is incorrect (which it totally could be) then I'd prolly have a higher opinion of him.
  • "Pro Comparison: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Sixty-five made threes, a floater game and defensive tools have shielded Ja’Kobe Walter from taking too much heat for his lack of creation or shooting consistency. There is a feeling of safety around his shotmaking and three-and-D projection, and there figures to be no shortage of NBA teams interested in his archetype."

"In college basketball this season, Walter is my favorite guard prospect who doesn't call Kentucky home. He's a 6-5 teenager with a 6-11 wingspan who has already shown signs that he could be a big-time scorer at the next level. Walter also seems capable and committed to guarding his position, which suggests he should be a real asset on both ends of the court."

Yeah I think Kessler is worth more than that. Don’t think he’d get us to 1 with 9 but wondering if another pick on top would work. Normally it’s no way but I could see some teams willing to move out of top 2-3.

Make it Sexton, Kessler, #9, #28, or add the Lakers pick to #9 and Kessler, and maybe someone would entertain it, assuming they're disenchanted with the very top of the draft.

Last edited:
He seems like the exact player that Presti would target to try and finish off his front court. I don't know if I see Zo but I do see a bit of a young Bam Adebayo which would be terrifying paired with Chet Holmgren defensively.

Chomche is interesting. He can handle a bit. He can Euro-step. He has touch with his baby hook shot. He likes to shoot from deep. He can pass a bit. And he goes hard after rebounds and blocks. There's a lot to like. The data sample is just super small.

This kid has definitely played his way back into the top 10 conversation. I like him better than Walter who is pretty much mocked top 10 on every board I see.

Agree. If we manage to keep the pick, I'd be aggressive and try to move up if there's a player we really want.