What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I think I have Knecht too low. If I was going to guess at which 3 guys made an all-star team I think I would guess Sarr, Knecht, and maybe like Ron Holland or Topic... but I think Sarr and Knecht would be my two best guesses.

Topic is a guy I can see DA and co. falling in love with. So curious to see where he falls on draft night. He’s one of 3-4 guys in the draft I’d be really excited about.

Topic will probably be a top-3 pick, imo. I think he's likely the most impactful player in the draft. He's a 6'6" guard, who beats defenders with a tight handle and body control, finishes well at the rim, and passes at a high level. His drive-and-kick game is going to be solid, and the Jazz look like they want to drive and kick. He's got touch on his jumper. He just needs to rep it out and make it more fluid.

Let Keyonte explore his scoring potential off the ball and let him secondary playmake a la Devin Booker.

Last edited:
Keyonte has obviously been given “the keys” this season but I’d guess the organization is still in an evaluation stage with him. If we’re in position to draft a lead guard who is 1) BPA and 2) someone they think could be better, I expect there would be no hesitation in taking him.

We’re still in the “no sacred cows” stage of the rebuild.

That said, I’m bullish on him and think he’s a franchise cornerstone regardless of who we take at 8-9. There’s room for multiple good guards and that’s almost certainly the floor of where he’d go in this draft.

The Jazz need an "advantage creator," someone whom you can rely on to consistently beat his defender, draw another defender, and make a play. Right now, the only guy who does that is Sexton, which is why we have to watch him kamikaze into paint defenders 30 times a night. Keyonte doesn't really do that. Keyonte has confidence in his runner, and he may regain his confidence pulling up for his jumper, and he has some nice drives/dishes, but he's not really playmaking consistently.

One guy who is starting to show a few flashes of playmaking is Sensabaugh. I think it would be great if the Jazz brought in Joe Johnson to work with him and make 80% of the work be playmaking.

Otherwise, the cupboard is bare. I think the Jazz would leap at the opportunity to draft Williams or Buzelis as guys who can initiate actions, though Buzelis is another guy who isn't going to beat his defender off the bounce more than once per week.

Last edited:
The Jazz need an "advantage creator," someone whom you can rely on to consistently beat his defender, draw another defender, and make a play. Right now, the only guy who does that is Sexton, which is why we have to watch him kamikaze into paint defenders 30 times a night. Keyonte doesn't really do that. Keyonte has confidence in his runner, and he may regain his confidence pulling up for his jumper, but he's not really playmaking consistently.

One guy who is starting to show a few flashes of playmaking is Sensabaugh. I think it would be great if the Jazz brought in Joe Johnson to work with him and make 80% of the work be playmaking.

Otherwise, the cupboard is bare. I think the Jazz would leap at the opportunity to draft Williams or Buzelis as guys who can initiate actions, though Buzelis is another guy who isn't going to beat his defender off the bounce more than once per week.

I’d add Nikola Topic to that list. A big, playmaking guard would be a great fit next to #3.

Though I do think Keyonte has some of that “advantage creator” ability, at least from a “scorer” standpoint - he’s less of a playmaker for others but should be an elite bucket getter in his prime. It’s hard to find/replace guys who are just natural scorers.

He’s had a rough month but let’s see where his game goes in the next 24 months. He’s barely 20.

I’ll be sad to see Sexton go (assume this happens), he’s our 2nd best player and a fantastic dude. But unless we get a superstar this offseason I do see him as an awkward fit within our timeline, and agree with showcasing the younger guys just to see what we have.

I think I have Knecht too low. If I was going to guess at which 3 guys made an all-star team I think I would guess Sarr, Knecht, and maybe like Ron Holland or Topic... but I think Sarr and Knecht would be my two best guesses.

Three guys with All Star potential for me are Topic, Williams and Dillingham. Sarr and Holland have some AS potential as well.

That’s kind of the point though. He’s not leading his team to wins lol.

The NCAA is just a different game. The NBA is way more spaced out, much faster and more athletic. If a player has weaknesses, they get exposed. The NCAA used to be more similar to the NBA back in the day when you could just draft Danny Manning #1 and call it a day, but the NBA game has evolved a lot.

I’d add Nikola Topic to that list. A big, playmaking guard would be a great fit next to #3.

Though I do think Keyonte has some of that “advantage creator” ability, at least from a “scorer” standpoint - he’s less of a playmaker for others but should be an elite bucket getter in his prime. It’s hard to find/replace guys who are just natural scorers.

He’s had a rough month but let’s see where his game goes in the next 24 months. He’s barely 20.

I’ll be sad to see Sexton go (assume this happens), he’s our 2nd best player and a fantastic dude. But unless we get a superstar this offseason I do see him as an awkward fit within our timeline, and agree with showcasing the younger guys just to see what we have.

Keyonte can drive and dish, but it's not the same as running actions and making reads.

This isn't a perfect comp, but I think Sheppard in the NBA will be functionally similar to Fred VanVleet: tough defender, able to handle and initiate at a basic level, deep shooter, limited as a driver. Sheppard may have more passing vision than FVV. Shep didn't get to show that playing off the ball as much as he did.

Keyonte can drive and dish, but it's not the same as running actions and making reads.

No, but it’s a start. A lot of that comes with experience and time in the film room.

All I’m saying is we’d be smart to give him time. He’s 20 and being asked to be the #1 option + lead guard on a team that is total crap.

And I’m open to him being more of an off-ball threat than a primary PG. Plenty of room for that on a contending roster.

No, but it’s a start. A lot of that comes with experience and time in the film room.

All I’m saying is we’d be smart to give him time. He’s 20 and being asked to be the #1 option + lead guard on a team that is total crap.

And I’m open to him being more of an off-ball threat than a primary PG. Plenty of room for that on a contending roster.

True. Any player looks better when the other players around him are competent and keep the defense honest.

The NCAA is just a different game. The NBA is way more spaced out, much faster and more athletic. If a player has weaknesses, they get exposed. The NCAA used to be more similar to the NBA back in the day when you could just draft Danny Manning #1 and call it a day, but the NBA game has evolved a lot.
The issue with Ware isn't talent imo... its drive. If he gets paid does that get better or worse?