What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Freeman was a walkon at Akron and was attending on an academic scholarship. He hasn't been hooping all that long. Kind of reminds me of Paul Millsap a little.
He's been playing his whole life. The story is that he didnt take it all that seriously/know he had potential to be a college player. So I guess there could be some hidden potential there that you wouldnt expect at 24. Most guys who are NBA prospects have been closely developed and prepped for a pro career (to some extent) since they were pre-teens.

If the Jazz take Bronny it means the old man is coming. If Lebron is here, the quality of roster fillers will improve. That would be exciting.
I dont think it necessarily means that. But it means you have a potential "trade for Bronny and you (you being a team Lebron likes) can get Lebron" chip for however long Lebron's career last.

I think if Rich Paul/Klutch wants Bronny in Utah it will be because Utah is a spot you can go with soft media coverage, national media would be less interested in Bronny as a member of the Jazz, and they are a rebuilding team where minutes are up for grabs to some extent. Also think Bronny fits the mold of a Danny Ainge player. He's defensive minded, long, athletic, and beefy.

Here's how things are moving for me:

1. Shep
2. Sarr
3. Holland
4. Dillingham

5. Castle
6. Buzelis
7. Risacher
8. Topic
9. Collier

10. Clingan
11. Williams
12. Walter
13. Knecht
14. Edey

Another update:

1. Shep
2. Sarr
3. Risacher
4. Holland

5. Castle
6. Clingan
7. Dillingham
8. Topic
9. Buzelis
10. Salaun
11. Williams
12. Carter

13. Collier
14. Walter
15. McCain
16. Knecht

17. Edey
18. Fillipowski
19. Furphy
20. Dadiet
21. Smith
22. Da Silva
23. Larsson
24. K Johnson

25. Sandfort
26. Karaban
27. Schierrman
28. Holmes
29. Ware
30. Dunn
31. Edwards
32. Ajinca

33. Sears
34. Missi
35. Carrington
36. George
37. Kolek
38. McCullar
39. Jones
40. Spencer

Only 1 in 5 2nd round picks get a second contract in the NBA. That number is probably higher for picks 30-40, but I don't think it's much higher.

Based on Bronny's length, athletecism, and the film I've seen, he has a good chance of being a good perimeter defender in the league. If he can develop his 3pt shot and offensive game a little more, he could be a 3&D guard in the league. Guys who can defend the perimeter and can hit 3's have become very valuable in the NBA.

He likely never makes it in the NBA, just like most 2nd round picks will most likely not make it in the NBA. The fact that he has a decent pathway to success is good enough for me to not hate picking him at 32. Also, picking highly recruited athletic freshman who are underwhelming in college in the 2nd round is not new and wouldn't be unique to Bronny.

Only 1 in 5 2nd round picks get a second contract in the NBA. That number is probably higher for picks 30-40, but I don't think it's much higher.

Based on Bronny's length, athletecism, and the film I've seen, he has a good chance of being a good perimeter defender in the league. If he can develop his 3pt shot and offensive game a little more, he could be a 3&D guard in the league. Guys who can defend the perimeter and can hit 3's have become very valuable in the NBA.

He likely never makes it in the NBA, just like most 2nd round picks will most likely not make it in the NBA. The fact that he has a decent pathway to success is good enough for me to not hate picking him at 32. Also, picking highly recruited athletic freshman who are underwhelming in college in the 2nd round is not new and wouldn't be unique to Bronny.
Yeah, but it's pretty unique for guys w/ that background for his size. Usually if you disappoint at that size you're a 4 year guy. The whole near death thing gives him some leeway tho.

During the Combine yesterday Givony pushed back on the MPJ comps for Risacher and suggested Franz Wagner instead.

IMO that is far more accurate. I dont see MPJ at all.
His comments were super weird because he used Wagner and Jaden McDaniels who are 2 very different players.

They arent that different.
They are quite a bit different. McDaniels does very little with the ball in his hands while Franz does a lot with the ball in his hands. Right now I think the best comp for Risacher is Danny Granger.

They are quite a bit different. McDaniels does very little with the ball in his hands while Franz does a lot with the ball in his hands. Right now I think the best comp for Risacher is Danny Granger.
Is that because of team context or because of ability? Im sure it's a mix of both.

Both are defensive minded big wings with inconsistent shooting ability, I think that describes Risacher pretty well.

I think the Jazz Bronny interest thing is much more about making the Lakers unprotect that pick and hold them hostage. Or they will use the two picks to jump up to 17 with the Lakers. Bronny and others throwing cold water on playing in LA with his dad are simply trying to position him.

Well at least that's what I think. I could see teams having interest in the kid and part of me feels for him as he will be judged incredibly unfairly. Seems like a decent kid.

But how is his flopping game compared to his dad?

I don't think discussions to unprotect the pick happen happen nearly as much as fans like to talk about it. It's fun to talk about I guess.

I don't think discussions to unprotect the pick happen happen nearly as much as fans like to talk about it. It's fun to talk about I guess.
DA is a lot of things... one thing he has done multiple times is leverage draft intel to move around the draft. Did it with Tatum and with Thybulle... Put the interest out there. Lakers need to conserve assets so trading the rest of the 2027 pick with some seconds could land them Bronny and they can keep the rest of their draft capital for another move.

DA is a lot of things... one thing he has done multiple times is leverage draft intel to move around the draft. Did it with Tatum and with Thybulle... Put the interest out there. Lakers need to conserve assets so trading the rest of the 2027 pick with some seconds could land them Bronny and they can keep the rest of their draft capital for another move.

Let me put it another way, from the Lakers side it does not matter who they trade 1-4 2027 to. When trading that outcome, it’s irrelevant that the Jazz own the rest of the outcomes of that draft. We talk about unprotecting that pick around here, but in reality it should be talked about the same as every other team acquiring 1-4 outcome.

Maybe other fanbases are talking about acquiring the 1-4 outcome…but I’ve seen a million different ways that’s been discussed around here. The reason why we talk about it so much is because we own the other outcomes, but that’s not actually a reason to believe a trade is more likely.

Let me put it another way, from the Lakers side it does not matter who they trade 1-4 2027 to. When trading that outcome, it’s irrelevant that the Jazz own the rest of the outcomes of that draft. We talk about unprotecting that pick around here, but in reality it should be talked about the same as every other team acquiring 1-4 outcome.

Maybe other fanbases are talking about acquiring the 1-4 outcome…but I’ve seen a million different ways that’s been discussed around here. The reason why we talk about it so much is because we own the other outcomes, but that’s not actually a reason to believe a trade is more likely.
That just isn’t true. Why would another team specifically be interested in the 1-4 part more than we would?