What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Cody Williams had a nice interview with KOC. He said he walks around at 190 lbs, so it might have just been a bad day at the combine, maybe he tried to go in fasted to increase athletic numbers, or maybe he got sick leading up to the combine? Didn't really explain why such a huge difference between whatever day the interview happened (no idea when it was recorded) and the combine happened.

Definitely seems real humble and hard working.

He's really good at getting to the rim. He reads the defense, finds gaps and can attack in different ways. The first time I watched him I thought he was like a bigger version of Latrell Sprewell. He didn't seem so physically slight. I think the injuries were a real factor for him becoming passive and disengaged mid-season.

He's really good at getting to the rim. He reads the defense, finds gaps and can attack in different ways. The first time I watched him I thought he was like a bigger version of Latrell Sprewell. He didn't seem so physically slight. I think the injuries were a real factor for him becoming passive and disengaged mid-season.
Yes, we have heard your Williams spiel enough to have it committed to memory

How I would order the 8 named players:

Holland
Topic
Dillingham
Carter
Williams
Knecht
Walter
McCain

My order for the Jazz would depend on direction, for example I think William would be my preference if we were going for the longer rebuild, but Carter or Knecht would be my preference for a short rebuild. I'm just going to go with who I like the best, and not Jazz related:

Carter
Williams
McCain
Knecht
Topic
Walter
Dillingham
Holland

I actually kind of like all of these guys for different reasons. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get behind anybody that we pick.

My order for the Jazz would depend on direction, for example I think William would be my preference if we were going for the longer rebuild, but Carter or Knecht would be my preference for a short rebuild. I'm just going to go with who I like the best, and not Jazz related:

Carter
Williams
McCain
Knecht
Topic
Walter
Dillingham
Holland

I actually kind of like all of these guys for different reasons. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get behind anybody that we pick.

I get what you’re saying….but I do feel like this may be getting ahead of ourselves too much. It’s already difficult to plan on the speed of a rebuild in the first place, and whether that duration is short or long I think the best player for that situation will be the same.

Yeah it's a Cui Yongxi propaganda highlight reel. Dunks, shots, iso step backs, passes, dribble drives, blocks at the rim, steals on the perimeter. Get him in the 2nd or undrafted. Maybe stash him, maybe not. The Jazz could have a reverse discussion about racism and inclusion whenever he plays. I would be tickled to turn that issue on it's head.

He said Covid really ruined his timeline into the NBA. I think I agree. Three years ago without Covid he could have gotten in the NBA. 6'7.5 and 6'9" wingspan which works. Pair him up with KG and see what happens.

View: https://youtu.be/8FTEMKZ5Slo?si=lnLzcZhmypuXQ5cm

Last edited:
Yeah it's a Cui Yongxi highlight reel. Dunks, shots, iso step backs, passes, dribble drives, blocks at the rim, steals on the perimeter. Get him in the 2nd or undrafted. Maybe stash him, maybe not. The Jazz could have a reverse discussion about racism and inclusion whenever he plays. I would be tickled to turn that issue on it's head.

He said Covid really ruined his timeline into the NBA. I think I agree. Three years ago without Covid he could have gotten in the NBA. 6'7.5 and 6'9" wingspan which works.

View: https://youtu.be/8FTEMKZ5Slo?si=lnLzcZhmypuXQ5cm

I couldn't make it through those highlights, that league looks truly awful. There is actually some size, but the athleticism, skill, and feel for the game is some of the worst I've seen.

I couldn't make it through those highlights, that league looks truly awful. There is actually some size, but the athleticism, skill, and feel for the game is some of the worst I've seen.
Welp, I kind of disagree but I respect your opinion. Here's my take, the shot is quick, he gets off the ground quickly. The full court passes are impressive too. And the hand speed on defense is fast. These are highlights when he was 18. He did work out for the team so we will see and was noted highlight from a recent combine.

I too couldn’t make it through the highlights. I was expecting to see some actual skills, snazzy dribbling, step backs, something. He wasn’t explosive made some spot up 3’s and dunked over kid sized players. He looks undraftable

I'm watching some Oso Ighadoro film. He reminds me a lot of TJD. He's basic, but just a good all around big. His passing sets him apart from other bigs. If he goes to the right situation, like TJD, then he has a chance.

Also, hard to watch Ighadoro without appreciating Kolek's passing. He's a wizard.

Welp, I kind of disagree but I respect your opinion. Here's my take, the shot is quick, he gets off the ground quickly. The full court passes are impressive too. And the hand speed on defense is fast. These are highlights when he was 18. He did work out for the team so we will see and was noted highlight from a recent combine.
To be clear, I was talking about the league, not the player. It's difficult for me to evaluate players who play in leagues I'm not used to. The better evaluation was probably at the elite camp he attended.

From what I understand Cui played well at the elite camp, well enough to get some team workouts. I don't think he was invited to the combine, so he must not have played that well.

I'm watching some Oso Ighadoro film. He reminds me a lot of TJD. He's basic, but just a good all around big. His passing sets him apart from other bigs. If he goes to the right situation, like TJD, then he has a chance.

Also, hard to watch Ighadoro without appreciating Kolek's passing. He's a wizard.
He's just kind of small without much hope for shooting or finishing

To be clear, I was talking about the league, not the player. It's difficult for me to evaluate players who play in leagues I'm not used to. The better evaluation was probably at the elite camp he attended.

From what I understand Cui played well at the elite camp, well enough to get some team workouts. I don't think he was invited to the combine, so he must not have played that well.
If a player is going to come out of China he's just going to have to be overwhelmingly talented. This dude isn't it. It's just hard to overcome being so far behind in terms of experience vs top competition. You have to be overwhelmingly physically gifted or talented, like Yao Ming to overcome that. Maybe Hansen Yang can do that, but it's probably not this guy. He will have to grind his teeth in some actual leagues for years

If you dig around his highlights from year to year he keeps adding things. Compared to a typical rookie his athletic ability is not elite. But he keeps adding the skills. An average athlete that can keep shooting, pass the ball and has a defensive edge can find a way to be a rotational player, ala Joe Ingles. He's the Chinese version of Ingles. He will make it.

A lot of people love him but I've always let the size hold me back from buying in
He's 6'11 in shoes, but yeah I just looked up his combine numbers and he has one of the worst standing reaches for a center, but his vert and sprint are best among centers, so he makes up for it a little. He's definitely one of the most skilled centers in the draft.

Back