What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I am liking Cody Williams. He moves fast and light for his size (which is what I liked about Bilal initially). Ferg is right, this guy will be pretty good.

Famously you can only play one wing at a time, especially if they are skilled with the ball.

You can only start one of them at the 2. The Jazz are also invested in Lauri and Taylor at the forward spots. It would seem to be less of a priority to draft a top 10 guy to be a backup 2/3, at least at this stage of the rebuild. Plus, I just don't think Castle is that compelling a prospect in general.

I am liking Cody Williams. He moves fast and light for his size (which is what I liked about Bilal initially). Ferg is right, this guy will be pretty good.

He's not the explosive athlete or two-way presence that Bilal is, but he's the slinky, smooth, versatile scorer in this draft, more like a Brandon Ingram. He has the potential to create advantages with the ball in his hands. That's something the Jazz desperately need.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't agree with the way you look at this. If a guy can't play defense, it's extremely difficult to be a positive impact player in the NBA. Brice has been a little bit ok and a little bit awful on defense so far. I would say it's still a question mark whether or not he can be a good enough defender to get more than spot minutes on a good NBA team.

If a guy is a liability on defense, then he needs to not only be a great offensive player, but he has to be better than the other offensive players on the court to make a difference. In other words if Brice is on the floor with Lauri and Sexton he would have to be such a great offensive player that taking possessions out of their hands would make a positive impact. A great defensive player only needs to be average on offense to still be an impactful player in the NBA.

Is Castle really going to be at least an average offensive player? Or is he a big guard who's a reluctant shooter and slightly below average from 3pt range? I understand he's playing on a top-ranked team and not overly asserting himself as a result, but some of his comparables include guys like Bruce Brown, Justise Winslow and Troy Brown Jr. I think he's a backup, defensive-minded 2/3, at least on a high-level playoff team.

If you look at who the Jazz prioritize in their rotation and in their last draft, they want guys who can really shoot.

Justin Zanik said he had grown into a top 50 player. Make what you want of that. So if they do move him I’d expect it to be for a lot. Even if they took Topic you could see what you had before making major roster decisions. Plenty of duos were theoretically electric but one player or the other was a disappointment .
Agree, I don't think that comment means we intend him to be part of our core. The issue I am still wrestling with is the fact that our Backcourt is bad defensively, and we will not take a significant step forward until we improve our backcourt defense. Turnover in our backcourt is inevitable. Our coaching staff is great but I'm not sure how much they can maximize this roster defensively. We can't just rely on the Kris Dunn boost for long.

Is Castle really going to be at least an average offensive player? Or is he a big guard who's a reluctant shooter and slightly below average from 3pt range? I understand he's playing on a top-ranked team and not overly asserting himself as a result, but some of his comparables include guys like Bruce Brown, Justise Winslow and Troy Brown Jr. I think he's a backup, defensive-minded 2/3, at least on a high-level playoff team.

If you look at who the Jazz prioritize in their rotation and in their last draft, they want guys who can really shoot.
He will be an above average offensive player within a few years. He has become underrated on that end of the court because he has bought fully into being a team guy.

Yes, I believe Castle will be at least an average offensive player. When I look at his shot, I don't think it's broken, and I think he has a chance to be a good/great offensive player as well. Even if he's just ok then he can still fit in as a 5th starter and play an important role on the team. I think it's far less likely that Brice becomes an effective starter quality player in the league for the reasons in my other post.

I disagreed then, and disagree now with the Jazz's priority of drafting shooters vs getting all around players. We are currently one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. We currently don't have the players to put together competent defensive lineups.

Agree, I don't think that comment means we intend him to be part of our core. The issue I am still wrestling with is the fact that our Backcourt is bad defensively, and we will not take a significant step forward until we improve our backcourt defense. Turnover in our backcourt is inevitable. Our coaching staff is great but I'm not sure how much they can maximize this roster defensively. We can't just rely on the Kris Dunn boost for long.
Yeah I think you have to live with it though until an obvious upgrade is available or in the development pipeline. I asked some folks for potential Sexton deals several times and no one was able to put one out there. I think you’d almost surely be taking a step back or two talent wise and if we are doing that then what exactly is the plan.

If Topic fell that far you’d probably just have to take him whether you wanted a guard or not. Would fit our opportunistic mode of operation.

Yeah I think you have to live with it though until an obvious upgrade is available or in the development pipeline. I asked some folks for potential Sexton deals several times and no one was able to put one out there. I think you’d almost surely be taking a step back or two talent wise and if we are doing that then what exactly is the plan.

If Topic fell that far you’d probably just have to take him whether you wanted a guard or not. Would fit our opportunistic mode of operation.
I agree. I'm not really a draft guy but in Topic and Castle I'm seeing 6'6 Guards so I'm in lol! and I'm hearing Castle is a good defender.

Yes, I believe Castle will be at least an average offensive player. When I look at his shot, I don't think it's broken, and I think he has a chance to be a good/great offensive player as well. Even if he's just ok then he can still fit in as a 5th starter and play an important role on the team. I think it's far less likely that Brice becomes an effective starter quality player in the league for the reasons in my other post.

I disagreed then, and disagree now with the Jazz's priority of drafting shooters vs getting all around players. We are currently one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. We currently don't have the players to put together competent defensive lineups.

Ochai played defense. The Jazz just shipped him off with Olynyk for a late FRP in an iffy draft because his shooting wasn't consistent.
Nickeil played defense. The Jazz gave him away as a throw-in in last season's trade. I'm assuming part of it was because he wasn't a reliable shooter.

Whatever the Jazz are building, it looks sure looks as though they want dependable shooters, along with plus size/length for their position. Picture a perimeter with Keyonte, Brice, Lauri and Taylor spacing the floor out to 27 feet. That's the kind of space I think the Jazz want to be working with.

I agree. I'm not really a draft guy but in Topic and Castle I'm seeing 6'6 Guards so I'm in lol! and I'm hearing Castle is a good defender.
Yeah was gonna mention Topic may not be a defensive improvement even though he’s big. I like Castle I think… and I like Topic. At this point in the build talent is the most important thing so I’m not sold on anyone being a long term absolute lock at any position.

If Castle works he is one of the more valuable player archetypes in the league and would be valuable fit piece if not more. I’d be excited to have him. The jumper has enough promise I think.

Ochai played defense. The Jazz just shipped him off with Olynyk for a late FRP in an iffy draft because his shooting wasn't consistent.
Nickeil played defense. The Jazz gave him away as a throw-in in last season's trade. I'm assuming part of it was because he wasn't a reliable shooter.

Whatever the Jazz are building, it looks sure looks as though they want dependable shooters, along with plus size/length for their position. Picture a perimeter with Keyonte, Brice, Lauri and Taylor spacing the floor out to 27 feet. That's the kind of space I think the Jazz want to be working with.

Ochai was a guard who couldn't handle the ball and we still don't know how that decision will pan out. From everything reported the Jazz did not want to include NAW, who has played well for MIN.

Keyonte and Brice in the same starting lineup is probably a very poor defending lineup, especially if you are going 5 out and not including Kessler. I really doubt that is a winning lineup. Also, if that is who we are starting and committing ourselves to 5 out, then Castle might be the perfect complement to that starting lineup.

We are worried about drafting Castle because of Brice....come on now. If that ever becomes a problem, we are extremely fortunate. What are we afraid of.

Ideally fit wise it would be great to come away with one of the wings included in the top 10-15 or Castle as a guard/wing.

Topic seems to be flying under the radar and is starting to become underrated. I would have to sit down and put together my big board but he’s in my top-3.

I wouldn't protest if someone had Castle below Black/Wallace....but I think he's at least in the same tier as those guys if not better. Castle/Holland are the two guys piquing my interest right now.

Topic seems to be flying under the radar and is starting to become underrated. I would have to sit down and put together my big board but he’s in my top-3.
I was really hoping to get some data on him from the higher league he was going to play in, and then got injured. I'm not sure if there is still a chance of him recovering in time to play there?

I was really hoping to get some data on him from the higher league he was going to play in, and then got injured. I'm not sure if there is still a chance of him recovering in time to play there?
This draft is the one where I don't want any "we were high on this guy but he didn't fall to us" revisionist history from the front office. I think because of uncertainty there will be some guys that get missed and I think there will be some opportunities to move up. This is where your talent evaluators and scouting can really shine. The mystery and uncertainty should be considered a feature not a bug imo.

There are better players than Castle in this draft, but I think he is already better than Ochai with room to get much better.

Last edited: