What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Castle is super overrated... definitely no team in the top... 8 should be picking him. There are definitely better players than him... like... French U19 Dante Exum... or wannabe John Stockton... or... the 5th option on mediocre Colorado team... or Canadian Boban...

Glad you're coming around. ;)

Agree on that, who are some that fit that mold? Seems all the prospects either lack a 3 ball or defense, none the complete package yet so it's more gambling on potential. Haven't watched this class hardly or seen him play but I wonder about Kyshawn George, wish he looked faster but looks like a prospect.

It appears Castle may be the closest to that mold. I wont start digging into draft stuff until after the season. I'm not too scared about defense first players that need to develop their shooting. Herb Jones and Anthony Black are both shooting well from 3 despite coming into the league as less then optimal shooters.

Just finished yesterday's games... I've seen a few games of some of the prospects so far so... still take this with a bucket of salt but here's who I want for the Jazz right now:

- Stephon Castle. He's the best prospect I've seen in this tournament. Anywhere our pick falls - from no.1 to no. 10... I want him. Second option at 9... Dalton Knecht.
- If we trade back to the teens(or trading up from the end of the 1st to the teens)... and if we are giving up on Kessler... I guess we can do worse than Clingan? Ja'Kobe Water, Jared McCain,
- End of the 1st, beginning of the second - Tyler Kolek, Justin Edwards, Tristan da Silva, Melvin Ajinca, Grant Nelson, Furphy... those seem like good prospects for that range.

Keep in mind I haven't seen a lot of the international guys, or the G League guys...

Just finished yesterday's games... I've seen a few games of some of the prospects so far so... still take this with a bucket of salt but here's who I want for the Jazz right now:

- Stephon Castle. He's the best prospect I've seen in this tournament. Anywhere our pick falls - from no.1 to no. 10... I want him. Second option at 9... Dalton Knecht.
- If we trade back to the teens(or trading up from the end of the 1st to the teens)... and if we are giving up on Kessler... I guess we can do worse than Clingan? Ja'Kobe Water, Jared McCain,
- End of the 1st, beginning of the second - Tyler Kolek, Justin Edwards, Tristan da Silva, Melvin Ajinca, Grant Nelson, Furphy... those seem like good prospects for that range.

Keep in mind I haven't seen a lot of the international guys, or the G League guys...
Go check out Sarr and Topic. I think I like Sarr… Topic I could go either way.

I like Keyonte handling the ball as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't pass on drafting Topic, or possibly even Dillingham, because we have Keyonte. Those guys are born lead ball handlers and are killers.

Go check out Sarr and Topic. I think I like Sarr… Topic I could go either way.
I've seen Sarr with the French national team U19. Liked him better than Risacher. Still wasn't like... no. 1 pick type of impressed. Hell... I was not sure he's a lottery pick even. But then again... in this draft...

I like Keyonte handling the ball as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't pass on drafting Topic, or possibly even Dillingham, because we have Keyonte. Those guys are born lead ball handlers and are killers.
Scouting reports have both as well below average defenders. With Keyonte and Collin already on the roster it just seems like a really awkward fit. Moving the ball and scoring isn't really an top issue for us.

Scouting reports have both as well below average defenders. With Keyonte and Collin already on the roster it just seems like a really awkward fit. Moving the ball and scoring isn't really an top issue for us.

Devin Booker and Luka Doncic were once defensive liabilities too. Tell Keyonte to figure out how to defend.

I've seen Sarr with the French national team U19. Liked him better than Risacher. Still wasn't like... no. 1 pick type of impressed. Hell... I was not sure he's a lottery pick even. But then again... in this draft...

That’s where I’m at with this draft. I’m going to be all over this place. I think I had Sarr 9th on my board because….why should he actually be #1?

But at the same time, why is anyone else better than him? The top of this draft is so poor. I could easily see Sarr/Risacher/Topic falling down when they face more scrutiny. They’ve been out of sight this season.

Who knows who will end up in the top 3? Will it revert back to initial expectations (Matas/Collier/Holland)? The international trio remains at the top? What about the freshman that actually played well (Sheppard/Dillingham/Castle)?

It’s all up in the air.

That’s where I’m at with this draft. I’m going to be all over this place. I think I had Sarr 9th on my board because….why should he actually be #1?

But at the same time, why is anyone else better than him? The top of this draft is so poor. I could easily see Sarr/Risacher/Topic falling down when they face more scrutiny. They’ve been out of sight this season.

Who knows who will end up in the top 3? Will it revert back to initial expectations (Matas/Collier/Holland)? The international trio remains at the top? What about the freshman that actually played well (Sheppard/Dillingham/Castle)?

It’s all up in the air.
I probably got to see Sheppard in the wrong game. I wasn't overly impressed. But even if I imagine him in an average for him game(15-5-5) I can't imagine how I would have Castle below him. Dillingham I feel like is a bit more of a boom or bust type of prospect. Just based on very cursory look at him, I feel like I will like him better than most other players in that range, but for now all I've seen is the game vs Oakland.

I probably got to see Sheppard in the wrong game. I wasn't overly impressed. But even if I imagine him in an average for him game(15-5-5) I can't imagine how I would have Castle below him. Dillingham I feel like is a bit more of a boom or bust type of prospect. Just based on very cursory look at him, I feel like I will like him better than most other players in that range, but for now all I've seen is the game vs Oakland.

I’m a huge Sheppard guy….I can go into more detail later, but the reasons why I am so high on him is that he does so many of the important/key indicator things well. Obviously his 3 point shooting is bonkers, but his stocks are also insane and he’s a terrific finisher around the basket. He’s an A+ tier player on paper.

I think the questions about what will translate + can he expand in the pros are fair, but I feel like no matter you’re getting a really great player. If you combined Beverley, McCconnell, and Seth Curry….what does that leave you with? I feel like he has the best qualities of all those guys.

I’m also someone who thinks the traditional view of “high potential” is not the best. There are so many guys who were seen as low ceiling players for one reason or another who went on to be stars. Not saying Shep will be that guy…but he can be and he has really great indicators.

I like Castle and have him high on my board….but the questions about the shooting are very fair imo. His stocks also aren’t that great (although UCONN plays very conservative defense tbf). Stocks is not a 100% indicator of good defense at the next level, but the overwhelming majority of good perimeter defenders at the next level were high stocks guys heading into the league.

Devin Booker and Luka Doncic were once defensive liabilities too. Tell Keyonte to figure out how to defend.
Although Booker wasn't a good defender he wasn't identified as a defensive liability either. Bringing up Doncic is obviously insane given the resume and projection he entered the league with.

Keyonte scouted better coming out then those two defensively lol

Although Booker wasn't a good defender he wasn't identified as a defensive liability either. Bringing up Doncic is obviously insane given the resume and projection he entered the league with.

Keyonte scouted better coming out then those two defensively lol
Booker was known as a terrible defender

Been watching highlights and reading about the high projected picks and can't help but think Castle will be one of the best to come out of this draft. Dudes mindset and support is a huge plus.

Well not a good time for the Jazz if they were interested in him. I like his attitude and skill set. I would have no issue with the Jazz drafting him at 9.

About to check out UConn/Illinois. Castle is struggling with his shooing, but I'm wondering if he's going a defensive job on Terrence Shannon.

I think Allen, Laetner, Ferry and Reddick for longevity… he used to get like death threats and while I like his analysis sometimes he’s very pretentious… his pod with Lebron is a cringefest.