What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

The rule of five. Take how he ranks in the draft amongst his position and times it by 5 and add five. That's his most likely peak in the league. 3rd best center in the draft. Times by five then add 5. His likely peak is the 20th best center. Good for a backup center on a championship team.
He is second at worst behind Clingan.

Reminder that the Jazz tried to trade up last year for Anthony Black and Bilal Coulibaly. They were looking for an athletic, wing-sized ball handler. I'm not sure if Sensabaugh really scratched that itch.

I'm seeing it more with Sarr. I do think the shooting is BS....well, not BS but I expect him to shoot as well as any prospect with those percentages. He definitely is more like Bam on offense as others have suggested. Still need to form a stronger opinion on his defense. He is moving up for me, Risacher down.

How would you all feel about this trade?

Kessler, 27th pick for Capela, Kobe Bufkin, kings pick currently 18

I think Bufkin could be a pretty good fit with Key and I like his game offensively and defensively. The 18th pick is a sweet spot in this draft where we start to see a pretty significant drop off once we get into the early 20's. At 18 if Comche is there then I take him in a second but if not there will probably be at least one of Edey, Flip, Salaun, Tyler Smith or Carrington sitting there. Capela is just an expiring contract that we can hopefully swing later on. There is a chance that pick could be as high as 15. It's top 14 protected so there is a chance if the kings finish badly they keep the pick and this isn't possible at all.

For the Hawks they get a ton of salary relief going from Capela to Kessler. I also think Kessler is a really good fit with their current roster and would work well with Young, Murray and Johnson. By clearing salary it makes it easier to re-sign Bey and feel comfortable using the full MLE.

Last edited:

Kessler, 27th pick for Capela, Kobe Bufkin, 19th pick

I think Bufkin could be a pretty good fit with Key and I like his game offensively and defensively. The 19th pick is a sweet spot in this draft where we start to see a pretty significant drop off once we get into the early 20's. At 19 if Comche is there then I take him in a second but if not there will probably be at least one of Edey, Flip, Salaun, Tyler Smith or Carrington sitting there. Capela is just an expiring contract that we can hopefully swing later on.

For the Hawks they get a ton of salary relief going from Capela to Kessler. I also think Kessler is a really good fit with their current roster and would work well with Young, Murray and Johnson. By clearing salary it makes it easier to re-sign Bey and feel comfortable using the full MLE.

People usually overrate our outgoing value, but I think this is too much. Loved Bufkin in the draft, but he's done nothing yet. We'd be doing ATL a huge favor by giving the Kessler who is a better player, younger, and significantly cheaper. Bufkin + small jump in draft position doesn't make up that difference even with Kessler having such a disappointing season.

People usually overrate our outgoing value, but I think this is too much. Loved Bufkin in the draft, but he's done nothing yet. We'd be doing ATL a huge favor by giving the Kessler who is a better player, younger, and significantly cheaper. Bufkin + small jump in draft position doesn't make up that difference even with Kessler having such a disappointing season.
There are definitely ways to tweak this a little in our favor. Rather than 27 we could send out 32 or maybe we just remove our pick from the trade. Also that kings pick could get closer to 15. I also wouldn't mind a look at Adrian Griffin who Snyder doesn't seem to care about. My first thought was the hawks pick coming our way rather than the kings pick but that may be too much.

There are definitely ways to tweak this a little in our favor. Rather than 27 we could send out 32. Also that kings pick could get closer to 15. I also wouldn't mind a look at Adrian Griffin who Snyder doesn't seem to care about. My first thought was the hawks pick coming our way rather than the kings pick but that may be too much.

I think ATL is a prime Kessler destination if the FO were open to moving him (seems like they probably are). Quin would love Kessler and he relieves a ton of financial pressure. I don't think the FO would target Bufkin, but I had wondered about Deandre Hunter. Hunter is kind of an interesting case because people think he's a 3&D, but he actually doesn't even defend that well but he had success when Quin moved him to the bench behind Bey in more of a scoring role. Okongwu could also be an option.

Idk what is going with Adrian Griffin, strange.

And of course, if ATL is still in the business of trading Murray and the Jazz are interested, it could go that route as well. ATL and MEM are the two teams to watch with Kessler.

Kessler, 27th pick for Capela, Kobe Bufkin, kings pick currently 18

I think Bufkin could be a pretty good fit with Key and I like his game offensively and defensively. The 18th pick is a sweet spot in this draft where we start to see a pretty significant drop off once we get into the early 20's. At 18 if Comche is there then I take him in a second but if not there will probably be at least one of Edey, Flip, Salaun, Tyler Smith or Carrington sitting there. Capela is just an expiring contract that we can hopefully swing later on. There is a chance that pick could be as high as 15. It's top 14 protected so there is a chance if the kings finish badly they keep the pick and this isn't possible at all.

A few things --
** If the Jazz really like someone at #18, whether Chomche or possibly Ware, I could see them do it.
** I like Bufkin, but think he's not a high priority with Keyonte on board. I also don't think ATL would want to move him.
** Capela is an expiring contract next year and likely gets moved to a contender mid-season. I could see the Jazz do it, but the Jazz still need to find a solution at the 5.
** I think the Jazz would otherwise give Kessler another year before they need to think about his next contract. His defense is still a floor raiser.

I think some picks are going to be attainable in the middle of the 1st round. Phoenix or NY, for example, maybe NOLA at #19.

Let's see what this alleged Clarkson trade looks like and whether it has any picks coming back to the Jazz.

I think it's more likely we give up value. For all the talk about him being on such an amazing contract, it's basically the full MLE and I don't think he would get that on the market this summer. Could see him going to a team like Philly if they have some leftover cap.

A few things --
** If the Jazz really like someone at #18, whether Chomche or possibly Ware, I could see them do it.
** I like Bufkin, but think he's not a high priority with Keyonte on board. I also don't think ATL would want to move him.
** Capela is an expiring contract next year and likely gets moved to a contender mid-season. I could see the Jazz do it, but the Jazz still need to find a solution at the 5.
** I think the Jazz would otherwise give Kessler another year before they need to think about his next contract. His defense is still a floor raiser.

I think some picks are going to be attainable in the middle of the 1st round. Phoenix or NY, for example.
For me the idea is more about pairing Bufkin with Key than competing with each other. One of the things that I really liked about Bufkin in college was the way he competed defensively and I think that will translate to the nba. Offensively he has a well rounded game where he can do a little of everything. I'm sure the hawks wouldn't want to move him but you have to give up something to get something. I would gladly switch out Bufkin for the hawks own pick and tweak the frame work around. Maybe something like this.

Kessler, 27, 32 for Capela, hawks pick currently 10 and kings pick currently 18.

Also in free agency if the goal is to get better this year then you go hard after Hartenstein.

For me the idea is more about pairing Bufkin with Key than competing with each other. One of the things that I really liked about Bufkin in college was the way he competed defensively and I think that will translate to the nba. Offensively he has a well rounded game where he can do a little of everything. I'm sure the hawks wouldn't want to move him but you have to give up something to get something. I would gladly switch out Bufkin for the hawks own pick and tweak the frame work around. Maybe something like this.

Kessler, 27, 32 for Capela, hawks pick currently 10 and kings pick currently 18.

Also in free agency if the goal is to get better this year then you go hard after Hartenstein.

I also liked Bufkin before the draft and would have been okay with taking him at #9 the way things were shaking out. I'm just thinking of the limited physical presence that a backcourt of George and Bufkin likely provides. I think the Jazz are going to go for size, length and athleticism next to Keyonte.

Givony's top 25...

1. Risacher
2. Sarr
3. Clingan
4. Dillingham
5. Topic
6. Buzelis
7. Sheppard
8. Knecht
9. Cody Williams
10. Collier
11. Ja'Kobe Walter