What's new

25 Years Ago Today 6/14/98

I vaguely remember the Stars championship when I was 11, but I don't recall there being a big deal made about it. I actually went to a couple of Stars games, but I have no idea what year(s). All I remember is sitting really high, seeing Zelmo Beatty, thinking the basketballs were cool, and when did we get to leave? I was not born a basketball fan.

I was 13. Still living in Utah. That's a core memory I cannot get rid of. So jealous of those asshat fans in Denver right now.
And to think that we went two and two with them for the season and our wins came in our first and second to last games of the season. Nothing but respect for Denver but we knock them off their perch next season.

I just watched the ending of the last game in the 1998 Finals. It still makes me tear up. I'll never get over it.

If you'd like to share my pain:

View: https://youtu.be/VlbC8q4VkL4

Me watching that would be like watching a lynching and doing nothing about it. Social Injustice is hard for me to stomach - the calls and noncalls were egregiously bad, there can be no confusing them for honest mistakes. The game was being micromanaged in accordance with Stern’s scheme to build NBA Sports Icons to build a brand around. Jordan became the biggest sports star in the world and the instability under Larry O’Brien became ancient history.

But a funny thing happened on the way to further expansion under the convoluted business model. First the tell-all book by Tim Donaghy - in the wake of which, poll respondents showed a 90% distrust of NBA refs. Secondly, with a double standard firmly established for NBA Stars, tanking for lottery picks became the league’s biggest league integrity issue.

Thankfully Silver has taken note Jazz Fans. Somebody tell me the last time an 8th seed beat a one and two seed and got all the way to the NBA finals. Miami has five undrafted players on their roster, three of which in heavy rotation. And just watching the games it was obvious this year that zeitgeist has changed for the league. No more massaging the games and overindulging the Super Stars!

(I also don’t believe that Snyder, Mitchell and Gobert were the right cogs to get us there, but that’s a story for another day.) And with only one pick next year I expect this team to be in full competition mode this coming season after a pleasant surprise from the “misfits” of last year. (We just won a cup with a team with five original misfits from six years ago)!

I won't watch it. My dog of 14 years literally just died a week ago. My heart couldn't take it.
Sorry man. That is the worst. My best buddy is about 15 or 16 (I have had him for 13.5 years but he was a full grown dog when we found him. He was a stray dog we took off the streets. The vet we took him to when we first got him said they though he was about 2 or 3 years old) and is totally deaf and has lumps all over his body and is in a steady decline. He still moves around well and looks pretty good for the most part but I know his days are numbered and I know im going to fall apart when he's gone. Just got home from a camping trip on wednesday and after each trip I think it might be his last. Haven't caught him a fish yet this year (his favorite thing ever) and I feel like I have/am failing him. Gotta catch him at least one more fish before he goes.

Got tears in my eyes just typing that ****. ****