What's new

5 best Kyrie Irving trade scenarios (Jazz mentioned)

I don;t think this year but I think Jazz FO may have had discussions in the event they blow it up next year (good chance).

I thought this year would be implied, but how is Utah supposed to clear enough cap room next summer to sign a max deal player like Kyrie? They are cap tied. By typical Utah Jazz design. The rebuild is waiting on Rudy getting sick of the same old ******** Hayward got tired of and Deron got tired of and Malone complained about publicly. It's sad that we have a top 10 player who will eventually be traded or walk because Utah has a looooong tradition of refusing to build a true contender.

how is Utah supposed to clear enough cap room next summer to sign a max deal player like Kyrie? They are cap tied. By typical Utah Jazz design.

From colton: JJ's contract has substantial value to the Jazz because it comes off the books next year. Same as their three new players (all with team options for next year, anyway). And Favors is a FA and Exum, and Hood are RFAs. So the Jazz are poised to have a TON of flexibility, and to be a major player in the free agent market next summer.

It looks like the only players the Jazz have under contract (not including the three team option players) are Gobert, Rubio, Ingles, Burks, Mitchell, and Bradley, for a total only of $68 million in guaranteed salary. Again, they will have a ton of flexibility! If they trade JJ for a player with a longer contract it will potentially hurt that flexibility.

From colton: JJ's contract has substantial value to the Jazz because it comes off the books next year. Same as their three new players (all with team options for next year, anyway). And Favors is a FA and Exum, and Hood are RFAs. So the Jazz are poised to have a TON of flexibility, and to be a major player in the free agent market next summer.

It looks like the only players the Jazz have under contract (not including the three team option players) are Gobert, Rubio, Ingles, Burks, Mitchell, and Bradley, for a total only of $68 million in guaranteed salary. Again, they will have a ton of flexibility! If they trade JJ for a player with a longer contract it will potentially hurt that flexibility.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I didn't know Thabo's and Udoh's were not guaranteed. That'll give them enough to sign a 7 year vet as long as they release the rights to Exum, Hood, Favors, Neto, etc. I wouldn't like that sales pitch if I'm Kyrie or any big name player but maybe Gobert can recruit for us. I don't know how you can't like the guy.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I didn't know Thabo's and Udoh's were not guaranteed. That'll give them enough to sign a 7 year vet as long as they release the rights to Exum, Hood, Favors, Neto, etc. I wouldn't like that sales pitch if I'm Kyrie or any big name player but maybe Gobert can recruit for us. I don't know how you can't like the guy.
I have no idea about cap related things but think there might be some way to sign a max free agent first, and then go over the cap to sign our own guys (favors, hood, X)?

The cap holds for Hood is 7 million and Exum is 15 million. Assuming we release all 3 new guys, let Favors walk, let Neto and JJ walk we will be sitting at 90 million plus cap holds for draft picks.

So that doesnt really leave much room to sign anyone in FA. We have plenty of trade chips though to make moves. We can trade the three new guys next off season and a team can waive them. That is about 13 million. We could add players to that and get a decent player. We could even go the sign and trade route. We are in a great position salary wise but there is almost no way we can clear enough room to sign a max or near max player outright.

I would guess one of Exum, Hood or Favors gets extended this year though.

Last edited: